Wednesday's Wall Street Journal & Oasis

Thanks for letting us know. Just read it. I thought the part that mentions how the smokestacks retract so it could go under the Verrazano Bridge was interesting. Funny how they spelled it wrong.

I wonder if that means it will depart from NY one day. Then I would be tempted.

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know. Just read it. I thought the part that mentions how the smokestacks retract so it could go under the Verrazano Bridge was interesting. Funny how they spelled it wrong.

I wonder if that means it will depart from NY one day. Then I would be tempted.

Thanks again.

I think they must say that about the local bridge of the folks they are talking to. I read an earlier article that said it was to allow the ship to pass under [i think] the Storebaelt bridge between 2 islands in Denmark as it traveled from the shipyard in Finland to Ft Lauderdale.

This article 'What It Takes to Keep a City Afloat' was interesting (I didn't know that the smokestacks of the Oasis can retract so it can pass under bridges like the Verrazano-Narrows, or that every day at 5 p.m. Larry the bagpiper provides an evening serenade through the main public areas). The article was written in a positive vein, however I didn't care for (Carnival's chairman and ceo) Micky Arison's comment in the middle of it: "I kind of look at her (the Oasis) like the Mall of America. It will also attract millions of people, but it's not what we do. It's kind of like a train wreck you want to go see." I'd say that's a pretty backhanded compliment if he is trying to say people would be intrigued by Oasis. He didn't need to interject with referring to a train wreck. :rolleyes: And then of course Arthur Frommer had to add his oft mentioned comment that the Oasis represents a dumbing down of the travel experience "because it stops only in a handful of ports". Overall, the article was informative and relayed the challenge of ensuring that a floating city the size of Oasis operates smoothly. Good free PR for Royal Caribbean. Oh, and they'll need to update the info for next time...as Radiance's Captain Trym takes over as Master of Oasis!

Archived