Cruise Countdown Widget

FLACRUISER99

Mine disappeared a few days ago, but was too busy to investigate further. Now it is back. This is important because we are getting really close! The clock has always been 12 hours out. It has us leaving in 3 days and 4 hours which would be at 5 a.m. Wednesday morning when we sail at 5 p.m. Wed. Princess website shows 4 days, but Cruise Critic shows 3 days (but it doesn't count sailaway time, only the date!) Of course it is still Saturday night on the here west coast, but Sunday morning on the east coast where we sail from!

I don't use this poorly designed program. It's right up there when it comes to getting the maximum advertising space, with ultra modern WOWIE videos. From the human engineering point of view, it's a disaster. You can't get rid of the advertising ("message") area. Furthermore, no program intended to sit on your machine day and night should minimize to the TASKBAR at the bottom - the correct place is in the NOTIFICATION area (the little icons where the time is displayed).

The CC countdown clock has better data and is fine for my needs.

By the way I just tested it and it works perfectly on my computer - WinXP SP3.

Shalom, Andy.

I was having the same problem and when researched it on line I noticed several people were in the same boat. I contacted Princess and they said it has been experiencing problems and the I-T department is working on a fix. They suggested I call back Monday if it still isn't working.

My Prncess widget disappeared about the first of March, then re-appeared a few days ago. It has worked fine since

Mine did too until tonight. When I woke my computer up the widget just went "poof" before my eyes. Probably will be back soon.

I love the Princess countdown when it's working. Unfortunately, like many others, it doesn't always function. When it is working, I noticed that it sucks up a lot of resources, which can be a problem. It also seems odd that it maintains an icon in the taskbar the entire time it's running. It would be great if it minimized to the system tray when you weren't actively using it (when it's simply counting down on your desktop).

I think it's a great concept, but it could use some fine tuning. :)

I love the Princess countdown when it's working. Unfortunately, like many others, it doesn't always function. When it is working, I noticed that it sucks up a lot of resources, which can be a problem. It also seems odd that it maintains an icon in the taskbar the entire time it's running. It would be great if it minimized to the system tray when you weren't actively using it (when it's simply counting down on your desktop).

I think it's a great concept, but it could use some fine tuning. :)

I agree it is a resource hog when it is displaying on the desktop. However I have not had any problems running it in Windows but my mother's Mac is seriously unhappy with it.

Hey Jo and Rob you did a fantastic job on the Crown videoicon14.gif Are you planning on Crusing again soon?

Yes, although we will have to wait until 2011 as we have a family package holiday booked for this Summer. We are hoping to do the Med with the children, I have just been checking out the homepage on the Princess website and it appears that we have several options, trouble is it is going to be a long wait! Oh if I could cruise again tomorrow...

No way I can get it to work. Downloaded it several times. The tab will not open to "set the clock". I also cannot get 3 messages that are there. An earlier version of this clock (a few weeks ago) allowed me to get daily messages of information or sales pitch, and that clock had a countdown, but was NEVER right and had no way to change or reset it.

I don't use this poorly designed program. It's right up there when it comes to getting the maximum advertising space, with ultra modern WOWIE videos. From the human engineering point of view, it's a disaster. You can't get rid of the advertising ("message") area. Furthermore, no program intended to sit on your machine day and night should minimize to the TASKBAR at the bottom - the correct place is in the NOTIFICATION area (the little icons where the time is displayed).

The CC countdown clock has better data and is fine for my needs.

By the way I just tested it and it works perfectly on my computer - WinXP SP3.

Shalom, Andy.

If you click the minimize button it will show only the clock and no message area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have been using it continuously since I booked our cruise in January. I did discover a key to making mine start up and work properly after the computer was started up. It tries to start and load automatically upon start up.

After computer is fully started up, I close the countdown as it has no information anyway.

I then open Internet explorer and log on to My Princess.

I then relaunch the countdown. In a matter of a few seconds it opens up with the correct information following shortly thereafter.

I go to the ship webcam first then the other segments follow with the ports being last. A sign that it is downloading the proper information is that a row of 000 00 00 s appear in the time spot. They then change to the proper numbers.

Running XP Pro on a several year old laptop.

I do agree this is one of the most finicky programs I have experienced, however when it works I like it! :D

• 7 months later...
A few weeks back, I downloaded the countdown and it worked for that first day. The next day, it acted like I hadn't put in any date to count down to but when minimized, it displayed the right countdown tally. It also showed I had 2 msgs but wouldn't let me click on any of the tabs. I deleted and reinstalled but the second time it wouldn't work at all. Best I've been able to find is that there was an update that never fully loaded and it's hanging up the relay of information.

Mine just vanished off the desk top and when I tried to reinstall it said I needed to update flash player :rolleyes: added Facebook clock

Archived