Helicopter/Flightseeing excursions for fat folks :)

tsukata

Pretty much all of the helicopter and plane flightseeing excursions have weight limits in the area of 250 pounds. In particular, I'm interested in doing the helicopter glacier tour with the dogsledding on the glacier from either Juneau or Skagway.

I'm right around the 250lb number, and while I'm sure there are some drastic things I could do in the month or two before my cruise to make sure I'm under the limit, I'd like to know how strict the tours tend to be and what the process is for weighing, because really, I don't want to deal with a tour company that is going to be uppity about this kind of thing...certainly not for the 1K+ I'm looking at spending on the excursion (when you figure me and my husband both doing it). Given that the company I'm seeing for this makes it really clear that there are no refunds (and they don't say there's any exception on the refund policy for if they decide not to take you), I'm hesitant to even sign up. I mean, if their scale is off, even if I'm under, I could get screwed out of alot of money.

So, I'm curious about any other fat folks' experiences with these tours. Have you gotten grief about it in port unexpectedly? What was their process? Did every person get weighed or did someone make a visual judgment call? If you or someone you know was over the limit, what happened then? If they just charged a fee, how much was it? How did they handle it?

The first time we went to Alaska, I was over 250 lbs. The helicopter excursions charge more for being overweight. I believe it generally was an extra 50%. I paid the extra fee.

And yes, we had to get on a scale to see what our weight was.

I am not a big person but I've flown plenty in Alaska on both small planes and helicopters. Everyone gets weighed and with all the clothes on you intend to wear on the flight. No camera bags or large purses are allowed at all on the tourist flights.

The pilots take weight very, very seriously. They have to balance the aircraft or it won't fly very well.

They are not uppidy. They are following US Federal flight rules and want all to be safe including themselves and the people on the ground.

They don't care how much you've paid for your group to travel. If you are overweight on the day of the intended flight they will refund your money for your own ticket. They won't steal your money and send you away. They won't publically embarrass you by yelling out your weight.

No camera bags or large purses are allowed at all on the tourist flights.

If you can't take camera bags, is there a limit then on what camera gear you can take? I'm doing the flightseeing to Redoubt Bay where we will land to photograph bear and I was planning to take my DSLR and a couple of lenses.

Bottom line is if I can't take my camera and telephoto lens then I may as well cancel the excursion which is over $600.

If you can't take camera bags, is there a limit then on what camera gear you can take? I'm doing the flightseeing to Redoubt Bay where we will land to photograph bear and I was planning to take my DSLR and a couple of lenses.

Bottom line is if I can't take my camera and telephoto lens then I may as well cancel the excursion which is over $600.

I was going to ask the same question. Isn't that one reason you go - to take pictures!!!

I was going to ask the same question. Isn't that one reason you go - to take pictures!!!

You can take a SMALL camera bag-the size that holds my Fuji S5000 and a couple of lenses. What PennyAgain meant, I believe-some people have two or three cameras, a camcorder, assorted lenses including those monstrous telephotos. THOSE aren't allowed. Take up just too much room in the helicopter UNLESS you are going on a photography excursion for professional photographers. Then they just buy another seat.

To the OP-as posted, they will weigh you. IF you are over 250, they will generally charge you 50%. Some have been known to charge the full price, as they are loosing money by not having the extra person in the helo.

You have four months-you can make it work.

It's not an uppity thing at all. It has more to do with the weight and balance of the aircraft. Even on float planes quite often we would have to rearange seating depending on how obese the people were.

Some have a sign that says something like blame the buffet on the cruise.

Yes, you'll get weighed and charged a surcharge. Do your research. Most (all?) of the helicopter tours have a listed surcharge. Think if it as the same as the charge for overweight airline bags, plan on being charged if your more then a pound or two over. Be happy if they cut you some slack. If you're borderline empty your pockets, take off your sweater etc.

Some of the plane tours ask your weight but don't surcharge.

You're right around 250 now? Probably at least 260 wearing the clothing, including shoes, on the day of your trip. How many cruise days before your trip? Your more likely to gain weight then lose weight.

You may just need to budget the surcharge, or plan a different activty.

I use my pockets for the camera gear. Yes, I am willing to have them all count in my total weight. Nikon camera body with zoom lens (with rubber lens shade) and not a great deal more than that. There is no time and no space at all to try to change lenses. If I have a small digital camera, it also is in a pocket. I also have (in pockets) a couple different pairs of tinted glasses in different colors and plenty of lens cleaner.

I've tried 2 of 3 different kinds of photo vests but haven't been all that happy with them. I'm admiring one that costs nearly $300. Just admiring at this point.

I don't carry a purse. All my stuff, wallet and all, is in my pockets.

I look lumpy and awful but it works for me. One of those monstrous telephoto lenses will only serve to get you fuzzy photos. I've seen supurb photographers struggle with aerial photography.

The time will go by very, very fast. You have to be as ready as you can be to take your photos.

If you are going somewhere and the plan is that the plane will land and you will get out to take photos, then there are different rules, but I still wouldn't haul a ton of gear. You will need a monopod of some good kind.

Your time is very, very limited (and very expensive!) I rehearse my photo shots and lens changes many times before a trip. I practice and practice.

This all is so costly, why not be prepared?

Photography is the number 2 subject in our house after family issues. It is an obsession. A nice obsession. As I have aged, I've had to make changes in what I shoot and how I shoot it. I even rehearse what I am planning to wear and what goes in which pockets. I don't waste time trying to figure out what has ended up where.

I had a boat trip out of Vancouver that turned out to be a waste of time and money because the people who had the window seats refused to give those of us who didn't have a window seat any window time. Not even 1 minute. Fortunately I had some plastic bags and was able to spend my time out in the weather, but I won't book a trip like that again.

I did not get weighed in 2006. They just everyone to write down their weight and then they added on 10 lbs to that. I was right at 250. I went ahead and bought the extra ticket anyway. I could have lied and said I was 235 and have gotten away with it but I didn't and won't this time around. I've got 4 months and 20 lbs to lose to be under the limit with clothes on and still have a buffer just in case.

If you are going somewhere and the plan is that the plane will land and you will get out to take photos, then there are different rules, but I still wouldn't haul a ton of gear. You will need a monopod of some good kind.

Thanks, PennyAgain, for your advice. Photography and travel share top spot in my home so I'm used to travelling with my camera gear and know how to select and take only what I need for an excursion and leave the rest in the cabin.

I use a RedOxx Gator bag for camera gear for traveling to and around Alaska. But it doesn't go hiking or flightseeing with me.

2 years in a row I used all my vacation time to take a course from an absolutely wonderful outdoor and wildlife photographer. We spent the time in Canada, but frankly he could have taught anywhere.

He had some very solid advice. I wasn't taking enough photos (digital photos are free) and I wasn't practicing enough.

I've seen people arrive in Alaska with new, fresh out of the box cameras and etc. They haven't even read the instructions! Then they see me shooting and want a lesson. Too late!

I practice a great deal. I take photos of cattle, horses, dogs, the neighbor's cats and I go to the zoo and take many more photos. Most of them don't get printed. I just keep working my skill levels.

I am very seriously considering the about $300 Billingham photographer's vest made in England. I bought my husband one in December and have had serious envy since. He can even wear his monopod! Everything fits in the pockets.

I try to make my time in Alaska count as much as possible. Please understand how your cameras work and have a plan to get the most out of your expensive flights.

Keep practicing long before you arrive in Alaska. If you have a new camera, lens etc. know how it all works when you are still at home. Sometimes they don't and need to go back to the camera shop.

Understand your batteries and have enough, more than enough.

Take plenty of photos.

I did not get weighed in 2006. They just everyone to write down their weight and then they added on 10 lbs to that. I was right at 250. I went ahead and bought the extra ticket anyway. I could have lied and said I was 235 and have gotten away with it but I didn't and won't this time around. I've got 4 months and 20 lbs to lose to be under the limit with clothes on and still have a buffer just in case.

I wish you success on your weight goals.

My photogear and jacket weigh 17 pounds. I have the advantage of being short so I have room on the total weight issue. One of the few advantages of being short!

I'm often trekking the parks and zoos in north Texas working on my photo skills. Maybe we will run into each other.

You have a good date for cruising Alaska. I wish you clear skies and many animals.

I did a glacier helicopter flight, again last year. AND yes, they weight you and go by the numbers. Sorry. One person, attempted to talk their way out of the surcharge, but didn't get anywhere. It is all business.

Is there any way to just pay the surcharge in advance rather than having to go through the rigmarole there? If they had that option, I'd just do that rather than having to deal with a potentially snooty person trying to look down at me for my weight.

I'm not going to be bothered by them trying to be safe. I am bothered when they're making financial gain off of people unfairly. A 50% surcharge *IF* they aren't going to sell a seat is very reasonable. A 50% surcharge when they still overload the helicopter is not.

What's more, it makes no sense that they do this by individuals rather than group averaging. The FAA regulation applies to total weight, not individual weight. Load balancing is something else...and understandable that they need to consider it...but that just means you arrange your passengers well, not that you charge people more. For example, my party will be 2 people under 500 pounds. So, total weight, we shouldn't get charged a surcharge. That a tour company wants to charge a surcharge in this case has nothing to do with safety or that they won't sell a seat; it has to do with profit mongering.

Nonetheless, it's their right to make a profit, and if I want to do this, they have a monopoly on making it happen. So ::shrug:: if they're choosing to make their money on me vs. someone else, so be it.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to be dealing with someone who acts like my size is somehow a personal choice I'm making to inconvenience them...or that acts like I'm a lesser person for being my size...or snickers at me, laughs, makes fun, invites other passengers to judge, etc. I'm not paying anyone $1K+ to treat me like a lesser human being, even if they're taking me to a pot of gold. :) If I'm buying a $5 meal and someone is an ass, I accept that, because it's a $5 meal. If I'm buying a $200 meal and someone is an ass, I complain to a manager. That's what I was getting at in my original post re: the amount being paid. For the money, this *should* be a premium experience and we should be treated as such, regardless of size.

Anyways, I'd happily just pay the extra money in advance to avoid dealing with the issue onsite at all, and if I happen to not need to pay the extra money, refund it...that's a better solution, IMO. It just doesn't seem to be an option, which is frustrating. Hence my questions about exactly how this is handled onsite w.r.t. courtesy, privacy, etc.

I'm not sure which helicopter tour company you're looking at, but have you tried e-mailing them about paying the weight surcharge in advance? Most of these tour companies are extremely accomodating and will work with you in advance on any concerns you have.

DH and I are using Temsco air, and they have been nothing but courteous and professional to work with.

I guarantee you that the tour companies will not be unprofessional about your weight, and I have been assured that the weighing, while required of every passenger (even if you look like Twiggy) is done privately.

I wish you success on your weight goals.

My photogear and jacket weigh 17 pounds. I have the advantage of being short so I have room on the total weight issue. One of the few advantages of being short!

I'm often trekking the parks and zoos in north Texas working on my photo skills. Maybe we will run into each other.

You have a good date for cruising Alaska. I wish you clear skies and many animals.

Thanks. For this year's excursion I'm just taking my sx10 with me and leaving the 5D in the cabin. I've gotten great images with it. So I should have no problem with added camera weight.

You should also come say Hi over on the DFW thread in the Floataway Lounge. We're talking about having another M&M somewhere here in the DFW area.

Is there any way to just pay the surcharge in advance rather than having to go through the rigmarole there? If they had that option, I'd just do that rather than having to deal with a potentially snooty person trying to look down at me for my weight.

I'm not going to be bothered by them trying to be safe. I am bothered when they're making financial gain off of people unfairly. A 50% surcharge *IF* they aren't going to sell a seat is very reasonable. A 50% surcharge when they still overload the helicopter is not.

What's more, it makes no sense that they do this by individuals rather than group averaging. The FAA regulation applies to total weight, not individual weight. Load balancing is something else...and understandable that they need to consider it...but that just means you arrange your passengers well, not that you charge people more. For example, my party will be 2 people under 500 pounds. So, total weight, we shouldn't get charged a surcharge. That a tour company wants to charge a surcharge in this case has nothing to do with safety or that they won't sell a seat; it has to do with profit mongering.

Nonetheless, it's their right to make a profit, and if I want to do this, they have a monopoly on making it happen. So ::shrug:: if they're choosing to make their money on me vs. someone else, so be it.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to be dealing with someone who acts like my size is somehow a personal choice I'm making to inconvenience them...or that acts like I'm a lesser person for being my size...or snickers at me, laughs, makes fun, invites other passengers to judge, etc. I'm not paying anyone $1K+ to treat me like a lesser human being, even if they're taking me to a pot of gold. :) If I'm buying a $5 meal and someone is an ass, I accept that, because it's a $5 meal. If I'm buying a $200 meal and someone is an ass, I complain to a manager. That's what I was getting at in my original post re: the amount being paid. For the money, this *should* be a premium experience and we should be treated as such, regardless of size.

Anyways, I'd happily just pay the extra money in advance to avoid dealing with the issue onsite at all, and if I happen to not need to pay the extra money, refund it...that's a better solution, IMO. It just doesn't seem to be an option, which is frustrating. Hence my questions about exactly how this is handled onsite w.r.t. courtesy, privacy, etc.

This has nothing to do with your "snooty" reference and "financial gain" comments. You appear very defensive in your comments, that have nothing to do with taking this tour. The weights are NECESSARY for weights and balance of the aircraft. It certainly is about safety. YES, you can pay the surcharge when you book, but you are still going to be weighted prior to boarding and assigned a seat.

You have to know the persons weight in order to know where to seat them and the others in the aircraft. I don't think you are understanding the concept of weight/balance when it comes to aircraft.

I realize you can only take a small camera bag with you on helicopter and flight plane trips. If you have more than that with you, like a backpack or something, do they have a place for you to put these things while your on your flight?

We will be doing sightseeing and shopping in the morning before our bear flightseeing trip. We may not have time to go back to the ship before they pick us up for our tour.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I am very seriously considering the about $300 Billingham photographer's vest made in England. I bought my husband one in December and have had serious envy since. He can even wear his monopod! Everything fits in the pockets.

I've been using a Domke photo vest for years. The one thing I figure out is get it two sizes too big. You can then have the back tailored to fit. This put lens in your pockets to sit below your hips. This also helps when you sit with it on. I carry all my stuff on board in a rollon suitcase than carry just what I need each outing using the vest if needed. I don't use camera bags any more.

framer

I guess the financial gain is a point we have to disagree on. I understand balancing very well, but the financial charges do not align to the stated purpose of flight balancing. They're two different topics, IMO.

I have no objection to being weighed or having anyone know my weight. If I did, I'd never have posted this topic. :) What I worry about is an incident like what many of my friends have run into on Southwest (and why I don't fly with them): being whispered at/about, being segregated in a way that makes you a target for others' snide comments and ridicule. Frankly, if you're fat, you probably know what I mean. Even if you're not fat, you might know what I mean. It's unfortunate but true that more people have a prejudice against fat folk than those that don't...and even more people claim no prejudice yet say and do very negative and hurtful things (e.g., acting as if being fat is purely a choice or is someone's fault).

At any rate, my questions have been answered, and thank you for that. :) I do wish the cruise line provided a way to pay upfront, and I'll pass that on to them. I hesitate to book with tour companies directly for various reasons, but it may be my best option in this case.

I should get a discount then.... My wife is at 130 lbs and my 4 boys range from 75 - 100 lbs..... But unfortunately I weight close to 300lbs and I am 6' 2"... I might be pretty cramped.

So 250 lbs per person times 6 people.... equals 1500 pounds for my family. I weigh 300 along with my family we weigh in at 780lbs... Almost half of the max... Do I only have to pay half price? :D

I've been using a Domke photo vest for years. The one thing I figure out is get it two sizes too big. You can then have the back tailored to fit. This put lens in your pockets to sit below your hips. This also helps when you sit with it on. I carry all my stuff on board in a rollon suitcase than carry just what I need each outing using the vest if needed. I don't use camera bags any more.

framer

If you've had your Domke vest for a long while, more than likely it is much better quality than what is being sold now. I've studied the new one seriously and am far from impressed.

If you've not done photo flying in Alaska, you will be surprised at how quickly the time passes. Be Prepared is a very good motto. I keep my camera on a strap around my neck. Forgot to put that in an earlier post.

Archived