wheelchair seats in theater

Does anyone else with a wheelchair have the problem of people that do not have a wheelchair sitting in the seats that are clearly for familys that have someone in a wheelchair so they can sit together? There are not that many places you can sit in the theater with a wheelchair. This really bothers be for people to be soooo unconsiderate. Are we just not supposed to go to the show because we cant bring our son in there in his wheelchair?

just off the independence of the seas today. they have designated wheelchair spaces AND STAFF assigned to the area to make sure NO ONE else sits in these seats except the wheelchair person and their companion. after the show begins any untaken seats are available to anyone.

I have never seen a handicapped section for families. They usually limit it to one person with the wheelchair person. That frees up the area so ALL w/c guests will have a space. My family always splits up so we do not take up more than two slots (one for the w/c plus one companion.) I also have stood behind my daughter to allow a late arriving w/c my space. After all there is no other place in the theater they can go. While it would be nice for my family of four to sit together, we just don't do it. if there are three of us, one stands behind the chair so we still only take up two spots. Or one sits on the couch or seat in front of the row.

I also no longer ask able bodied people to move. I am not the theater police. If a staff member will not ask them to move, we leave....:( I just got tired of it.

Tried to edit my post, but I am way to slow. I would like to see the new ships being built allow for more space so families can sit together with a wheelchair guest. With maybe a little easier access to some seats closer to the stage for those with poor eyesight..

The Star Princess has wheelchair seats on both sides of the Princess Theatre. There are chairs beside each spot for a wheelchair. Also the 2 rows below this are for mobility challenged passengers.

I had a unfortunate accident in Sydney Australia before my cruise and was in a wheelchair for 3 wks. I found it easy to get to the seats, and several times had friends sit with me:D

I would imagine that all the newer Princess seats would have this option

On all Carnival ships I have been on there are only 2 slots for wheelchairs in the whole theater. and we always try to get there in advance so that we can get in one of those and my husband and I can sit next to him on the couches or whatever they are calld.

I just think it is rude that people have no sense to realize that is a wheelchair seat and there are only 2 of them to start with.

We sailed on Radiance of the Seas last week and they have 2 wheelchair spots in the back of the theatre but no companion seating. This was a real problem because we couldn't sit together at any of the shows, we even got to the theatre 30 minutes before show time and the seats were full in the back. One night a person moved so I could sit by my husband the other nights forget it.

The Solstice had lots of wheelchair and companion seating on both sides of the theater and on 2 levels and the staff did ask folks to make room for families. That was nice but.... They set up the empty spots for wheelchairs right behind the posts - in every area! My husband just moved the chairs around so that I could scoot in further down.

• 1 month later...

My husband, a wheelchair user for 40 years, and I sailed on the Ruby Princess in March and it was the most accessible ship we have been on. The Princess Theater had wheelchair spaces on both sides in the back with comfortable chairs that looked liked fixed seating but could be moved so you could re-configure the space for your needs. There were also aisle spaces in the orchestra stage-right section that were easily accessed. We tend to arrive a bit early and have an after-dinner drink but spaces were still available near the show. It was the first time that we were easily able to secure seating. Hopefully, as the ships are redecorated, the Ruby's excellent design features will be replicated. We did write to Princess to let them know how pleased we were.

My husband, a wheelchair user for 40 years, and I sailed on the Ruby Princess in March and it was the most accessible ship we have been on. The Princess Theater had wheelchair spaces on both sides in the back with comfortable chairs that looked liked fixed seating but could be moved so you could re-configure the space for your needs. There were also aisle spaces in the orchestra stage-right section that were easily accessed. We tend to arrive a bit early and have an after-dinner drink but spaces were still available near the show. It was the first time that we were easily able to secure seating. Hopefully, as the ships are redecorated, the Ruby's excellent design features will be replicated. We did write to Princess to let them know how pleased we were.

Sometimes my DH uses his chair, sometimes he doesn't need to. We also have a Service Dog that will be on her 14th cruise in November.

We lend new meaning to the words "difficult seating needs!" Our dog is black so she's not easy to spot when the lights go out. We have to be very careful that other wheelchair users don't run over her. We now use "caution tape" [the kind the police use around a crime scene] and, we wrap it around our seats and over her.

The Carnival Splendor has the best handicapped seating in their showroom. We always found a place for the chair/dog and myself.

My biggest gripe is when the rest of the passengers move behind us because the seating is traditionally the very rear of the theatre, nearly 85% of the passersby bump, jiggle, or touch my DH's wheelchair. :mad: It's as if his chair was placed there for them to support themselves :( :(

"My biggest gripe is when the rest of the passengers move behind us because the seating is traditionally the very rear of the theatre, nearly 85% of the passersby bump, jiggle, or touch my DH's wheelchair. It's as if his chair was placed there for them to support themselves"

HEAR, HEAR!!!

"My biggest gripe is when the rest of the passengers move behind us because the seating is traditionally the very rear of the theatre, nearly 85% of the passersby bump, jiggle, or touch my DH's wheelchair. It's as if his chair was placed there for them to support themselves"

HEAR, HEAR!!!

We actually had a woman hang her purse on one of the handles of my DH's chair......it was so funny when I went to push him and she came chasing after us as if to say "how dare you take off with my purse!"

Archived