Planning ahead-has it changed

RnD

My wife and I have been on quite a few cruises including Windstar several times. The last two times on the Windsurf I was very disappointed. The platform was never lowered, and I had a tough time finding anything that I really enjoyed for dinner. I admit I am a picky eater, but I do not seafood, and many of the entrees each night were seafood, with perhaps one or two other choices.

The last time we took the Windsurf was four years ago, and we are considering doing a trip next January. WE need to book early so that we can use of FF miles to get to Barbados for free, otherwise the air adds quite a bit to the expense. We also have a very narrow window when we can travel, and in the winter we generally can only do a seven night trip.

Saint Martin, Saint Thomas, and Puerto Rico are getting old at this point, and one of the draws for us is the smaller ports

What has been people's recent reactions to the line?

Have not sailed on one of Windstar's ships, yet. Plan on doing so as soon as possible though so have been monitoring these boards.

I have seen very few negative posts. Most people seemed to love the ships and can not wait to go back. I have not seen anything that makes me not want to sail on Windstar.

MexicoBob

I have been on all the Windstar ships, and find Windsurf my least favorite. It's just too big. However, on the Windsurf, you will find now that in addition to the main dining room, there are several other dining venues. We were on the Windstar last summer and there was always a beef option or other meat besides seafood on the menu. I don't think you will have trouble avoiding it.

The conditions must be right for the sport platform to be lowered, so sometimes you hit a cruise where it just isn't down much, or down at all.

Our cruise last summer was our favorite ever.

Have sailed Wind Surf twice, and I am in agreement: it is too big for us. But a very nice ship. Haven't sailed recently, tho, so can't respond to the specific questions. We just sailed Wind Star (Costa Rica), and it was wonderful and such a fun and friendly group of passengers and crew. No complaints! If you haven't tried the Costa Rica trip, I highly recommend it!!

I had a tough time finding anything that I really enjoyed for dinner. I admit I am a picky eater, but I do not seafood, and many of the entrees each night were seafood, with perhaps one or two other choices.

Saint Martin, Saint Thomas, and Puerto Rico are getting old at this point, and one of the draws for us is the smaller ports

I agree with the others.... love the small ship, LOVED our Costa Rica cruise. I did not find Costa Rica to be terribly similar to the Caribbean ports, so you might give it a try... or why not the Mediterranean?

I have to say I'm a bit puzzled about your dining issue. I consider myself to be a foodie and can be quite critical (and sometimes picky myself), and I was completely pleasantly surprised by the high level of the meals that were served on the Windstar. Fine dining to say the least.

I do have to add that I'm not a bit shy about ordering "off" the menu to get what I want -- as in, "I want the chicken, but not with that sauce or side dish, can you substitute xx?" Or, "that soup and the salad were amazing, could you bring me another portion for my meal?" And some mornings I just didn't want to eat from the buffet, so ordered breakfast, (made to order), from a waiter. Staff -- both wait staff and kitchen staff -- were extremely accommodating. No complaints.

Did you ever attempt to order off the menu to see if they could accomodate your tastes? I find that cruise ships (and most good restaurants worth their salt) are more than willing to do this for you.

just got back from windsurf. you could have steak, fish, or chicken just about any night. The food was excellent. There are 4 dining options, main dining or 3 others with reservations. I have done the smaller two windstar boats as well. I like sailing any of the fleets. If you need an elevator you should do the windsurf. If you want to cruise with a slightly younger crowd then do either of the two smaller boats. The itinery with barbados was as nice as the st martin one. We are beach bums who do no excursions so a pretty beach and a cocktail and we are pretty much set.

• 2 weeks later...

Like other posters, we've sailed on Windstar several times. We've always thought the food above average, and we've also been on Seabourn and Regent. I thought the menu options were quite varied and usually, if you explain your requests to the waiter, the chef will make what you want. We've met people who are strict vegetarians, others who are lactose intolerant, diabetics, and the staff has always been able to accommodate them.

Archived