Half Moon Cay with kids in December...bad or good idea???

viwami

On Dec. 5th 2010 with 2 daughter (7,10) will be on Nieuw Amsterdam visiting: Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Maarten, San Juan .

Can anyone tell me their experience with weather in the E. Caribbean in early December?

Is it ocean temperature comfortable for kids in December in above ports?

We like hot weather and I am concerned we going the wrong time.

Can anyone help...............

:)THANKS

You're from the north--the water will feel warm to you....personally, I don't get into the ocean until the temps. are 83+....but that's just me! Folks from the north tend to swim when temps. are in the 60's!

Kids will swim until they turn blue with cold.....they'll be happy.

HMC may be chilly (water-wise) in Dec., but the other ports will be much warmer....the land temps will be downright hot! No worries---pack shorts!

Been to HMC past two years on the day after Thanksgiving (late Nov.) This past year it was cool and windy most of the day, it felt warmer in the water because of the breeze. The year befor it was sunny and hot, water was beautiful. Both visits there were plenty of people in the water. I think you children would go in the water. I know I did;)

• 2 weeks later...

We're from Evanston and will be on the same ship with you.

4 adults + 4 kids (age 6, 6, 4 and 2.5). This is our annual HAL cruise and would be our third time to HMC. It should be fine to be in the water. There are two water slides for kids at one end of the beach. One sandy beach park with swings and forts near the dining area. We will be reserving at least one clam shell in advance. Hoping it will be hot and sunny. Nov 08 was like that. Nov 09 was cloudy, cool and rainy. Hope to see your kids at Club Hal. Your youngest and our two oldest will be in the same class. Our kids love it there. Let me know if you have more questions.

Is there a charge for the water slides?

No. Keep in mind that these are "kid sized" water slides. About equivilent to the size slide you would have on a kids backyard swing set.

There are also misters and a "fointain" of sorts for teh kids to play in. I would say any kid over 7 or 8 would get bored with this area very quickly.

I have attached a picture of the kids area. Some of fthe slide is cut off on the right side, but I hope you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

1716232030_hmckidsarea.jpg.e243c679e8da23941ce49559ea344f28.jpg

Archived