Late MDR seating--will my boys miss out on all activities?

My parents really want to change to the late seating in the MDR so that we aren't rushing to get to dinner every night. While I agree with them, I am also concerned that my 7, 11 and 13 year olds will miss out on a lot of activities if they are at dinner from 8-9:30 or 10.

Has anyone else had the late seating with kids? How did it work out?

My parents really want to change to the late seating in the MDR so that we aren't rushing to get to dinner every night. While I agree with them, I am also concerned that my 7, 11 and 13 year olds will miss out on a lot of activities if they are at dinner from 8-9:30 or 10.

Has anyone else had the late seating with kids? How did it work out?

Yes they will, unless you really want the "Family Dinner" then take the kids to the windjammer or order room service for them, then you can have some adult time with your parents. If you do want the family dinner then I would stay with early dining, they wont miss so much that way. Adventure Ocean stops being free from 10pm, then from 10pm - 1am there is an hourly charge

I agree. Either change to main (first) seating, or to My Time Dining, or your sons will miss many planned activities.

Ask your parent what time they *really* would like to eat. They may say, 7 P.M. Early is too early, late is too late. So then you move to MTD and eat at 7 every night.

:)

Another person that agrees, either stick with early or do MTD if your kids want to take advantage of the kids clubs. We did late once and are kids fidgeted the whole time as all they wanted to do was get to their activities.

The other option, as pointed out above, is to have your kids eat in the windjammer or have room service, then you can have an adult dinner with mom and dad. Of course, if dinner is part of the family experience (and it is for us, its the one time of day we are all together) I would stay away from late seating.

We always do late seating for the same reasons as your parents. Early seating is just too early for us! The kids will eat with us most nights but will eat at the WJ or Johnny Rockets a few nights when there are early activities that they do not want to miss. (We go with them for their early dinner--kids eat fast and we can enjoy a little snack) For us it works out as the best of both worlds. Also, when they do eat in the MD, we would let them leave before dessert if they wanted (the waiter was nice enough to give them their dessert "to go" so they could enjoy it in their cabin later)

Let me jump in,

we always take the early seating,my kids are looking at the clock, every 15 minutes at dinner, because they want to get to the kid club, or meet their friends,and change from dinner first, I perrsonally require they eat dinner with us every night(unless something special is happening in clubs) because otherwise they are off doing their thing, and I miss them.

Here's what we did. Switched to MTD and planned to eat late. On those days where there was something happening that the kids wanted do, we joined the kids for an early dinner. We just had a glass of wine and maybe an appetizer and just kept them company for dinner. Then we joined our party for dinner. This only happened one or two times so it wasn't like we were doing it every night.

Some have mentioned the WJ which is a great option. My kids prefer to eat in the dining room so that wasn't the best option for us.

When we booked this cruise, my DD had one request -- that we don't book late seating as it always interferred with her plans with the various activities for her age group. On our last cruise we only made her eat with us twice -- the first formal night and the last night (she did eat with us on two other occassions but then ran out to her activities).

This time we booked My Time Dining and know she will still probably miss a dinner or two because of other activities but its her vacation too - so we allow her to make those decisions. If she doesn't eat with us then she eats in the Windjammer or orders something for room service before heading to the teen club.

Personally, I think it would be torture for your young boys to be at the late seating and knowing they are missing out on fun with new friends, etc. If possible, change to the early seating or MTD.

I have 3 kids who never set foot in the main dining room. We keep them company while they eat at Windjammer and they're on their way to Club's by 7:00 for a night of fun. We get to enjoy the dinner without them!

I think you should book the late dinner so the adults can enjoy a nice meal and take their time getting ready, and have the kids eat during the break in the kids activities. There's room service, the windjammer buffet, Johnny Rockets and the pizza thingy in the promenade. Or take the main seating so the kids don't miss their activities.

Archived