final payment to TA

granny red

I have just phoned my TA to ask when my final payment is due for my July 8th 2010 cruise and was told April 22nd which according to my calculations is 75 days before we depart. I have read on some threads here that it is usually 90 days before departure. Will this make any difference ?:confused:

I have just phoned my TA to ask when my final payment is due for my July 8th 2010 cruise and was told April 22nd which according to my calculations is 75 days before we depart. I have read on some threads here that it is usually 90 days before departure. Will this make any difference ?:confused:

In the US it usually around 90 days

In the UK its about 56 (8 weeks) - most TAs ask for it a week or two earlier to ensure they have it; some, lately, more than a week or two earlier

So it depends where you booked

For UK residents at least, Cunard require final payment 90 days ahead for World Cruises but only 56 days for other voyages. TAs set their own deadlines - which are obviously longer so as to be in funds before paying Cunard. It does seem to me, though, that TAs do benefit - some more than others - from sitting on these payments before passing them on. For instance. my TA is asking for final payment 91 days in advance for a Transatlantic.

I've used two different TA's and they both wanted the balance 90 days before the trips.

Then 60 days before the voyage, Cunard send their documents. I can't see they would send them out before they receive the full amount of the voyage.

We've decided to spend the kid's inheritances on a World Cruise on the QE.

We are trying to make sure that we allow enough funds to cover all the costs. We've done a lot of cruising so we've a fairly good idea what the costs of drinks and excursions and the gratuities are already included.

The one item we are struggling with is a fuel surcharge. I seem to recall that another cruiseline that I will not mention, but much loved by some English folk, once slapped a heavy fuel surcharge on the final cost, at the very last minute, and beyond the last date that you could use this reason to cancel.

What do members think is the likelihood of any fuel similar surcharge for next year ? How is it calculated and applied and what is the impact on the final cost ?

Please note that I am NOT asking members to second guess the oil prices in nine months time. If we could regularly do this with a degree of accuracy, I guess that we would be travelling QG and not having to allow for such a footling amount !!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oldsilverfox.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess it depends upon TA then.

I would advise just one thing, do may sure that your payment is made to Cunard if possible via a credit card.

DO NOT pay the agent either in cash or by a cheque made out to the agency name.

I would advise just one thing, do may sure that your payment is made to Cunard if possible via a credit card.

DO NOT pay the agent either in cash or by a cheque made out to the agency name.

That may be the case in the US but over here in the UK it is perfectly safe to make it out to the travel agent - just make sure they are ATOL & ABTA protected (which they mostly are).

That may be good advice in the US, but travellers using a TA in the UK are protected by bonding arrangements imposed by the trade association (ABTA). Obviously the TA has to be a member of ABTA but I doubt if there are many - or indeed any - that aren't.

Archived