Luggage Lockers in Termini, Rome ??

snowwmax

Afternoon All,

My Fiance and I are flying into Rome for a June 25 Med Cruise with Celebrity. We are planning on heading up to Florence the first day we arrive and spend the night there. Then we plan to head back to Rome to spend 2 more days prior to boarding the ship.

I have heard there are Luggage lockers in the Termini and have seriously considered putting our 2 big suitcases in there overnight while we head up to Florence. That way we aren't dealing with all that luggage.... We will still have our 2 carry-ons which are more than big enough for 1 nights worth of clothes etc.

Any thoughts / experience??

Thanks

-Steve

I've used the left luggage office (it's not lockers) at Termini several times, it's easy to do and it's great not to be lugging around stuff you don't need.

The office is located on the lower level (basement) of the train station. Be sure to allow yourself some time when picking up or dropping off luggage, the lines can be long and unpredictable.

Here is a link that gives you the hours and pricing: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

I would strongly recommend this. It is no fun to be lugging cases onto trains in Italy and you do have to keep your eye on them. You got it right, pack a small overnight bag, store the rest, jump on the train and go.

My son still chuckles about the family we saw getting onto our train in Termini a few years ago. Husband, wife, and two daughters. The each had one of those big 30 inch bags, plus very had a large carryon, and he also had a laptop case and of course a large camera case. All the luggage appeared to be brand new, shiney red. It was all the poor man could do to get the bags into the car before the train left the station....under the watchful eye of the three sidewalk superintendents in his family. Everyone in the car was snickering.

Edited by iancal

• 5 months later...

Well we are back from our Trip and we did indeed use the Left Luggage in both Rome and Florence! Well worth it!! The only hitch was when we got off the Leonardo Express from FCO at the Rome Termini, we had quite a hike to get to the Left Luggage area.

The only hitch was when we got off the Leonardo Express from FCO at the Rome Termini, we had quite a hike to get to the Left Luggage area.

Which is why I despise this "express" train and avoid it unless I have no other options. The track that the LE uses is two or three city blocks away from the rest of the station.

Which is why I despise this "express" train and avoid it unless I have no other options. The track that the LE uses is two or three city blocks away from the rest of the station.

Yup!! We flew in from JFK into Rome - our flight was delayed for 5 hours @ JFK - so when we got to Rome after taking the LE I wasn't in the mood :mad: to be trying to find the Left Luggage! Considering we had 2 large rollers and 2 carry-ons and a laptop! I wish there where luggage carts for hire.

We learned our lesson the hard way! We barely made our connection train up to Florence... but that is another story :D

Yep, after suffering through the train many times, I finally discovered that there is a bus option (I'm slow, but I do catch on eventually ... :o). The bus is clean, everyone gets a seat, and there is a place for luggage.

Bus timetable can be seen here: http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/images/pdf/orari_bus_shuttle.pdf

Reservations can be made here: http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/

I left my luggage while doing an overnight to Orvieto. I worked well but the wait to check luggage was very long 30-45 min. The security is good. It was quite quick to pick it up, less than 5 min.

I left my luggage while doing an overnight to Orvieto. I worked well but the wait to check luggage was very long 30-45 min. The security is good. It was quite quick to pick it up, less than 5 min.

The wait varies as with any service... When we dropped off our luggage there was no line and the same when we picked up. The best is the Luggage dude is handling your baggage while smoking a cig... :confused: love it :eek:

Our experience with the left luggage room was similar to some of the others in that we had a long wait (more then 30 min) to check-in our luggage and then had to watch as the security staff did a careful hand search of one of our bags (nothing like airing your dirty laundry in public). Picking-up our luggage was not a major problem since there was no wait for security. As to lockers, they have pretty much disappeared from Europe because of security reasons.

Hank

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

We are flying into Rome a week before our cruise and traveling to Lucca and the Cinque Terre. It would be great to store some of our luggage at Termini. Does anyone know if it is possible to store your luggage at Termini for as long as a week? Thanks.

We are flying into Rome a week before our cruise and traveling to Lucca and the Cinque Terre. It would be great to store some of our luggage at Termini. Does anyone know if it is possible to store your luggage at Termini for as long as a week? Thanks.

Possible? Yes. Costly? Also yes. Not sure if you can get a special long range price...because otherwise you may find yourself paying around 10€ per day per piece! For long term storage you might want to explore one of the private luggage storage options available in the same area. Here is a link to one place (there are others if you simply Google):

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/rome/termini/gerardo-hotel

I am not sure if they have changed their procedures at Termini...but they used to often want to open your luggage and search (by hand) before accepting some bags. We posted on this issue back in 2010 (the beginning of this thread). Italy is very security conscious (who can blame them?) and they have lots of concerns about storing un-searched bags.

Hank

Thanks for your reply Hank. My husband and I actually agreed to try to do the whole trip with just a carry-on each. I guess I was just fantasizing about storing an extra suitcase and having more clothes and shoes for the cruise.

Thanks for your reply Hank. My husband and I actually agreed to try to do the whole trip with just a carry-on each. I guess I was just fantasizing about storing an extra suitcase and having more clothes and shoes for the cruise.

I can tell you with 100% absolute certainty that the hard limit for storing your bags at Termini is 5 days - at least that's what it was when we tried to leave our cruise luggage there in 2012. We got around it by leaving the bags in Florence while we explored points north, which brought us under the 5-day limit.

Since then, we've further streamlined our packing, and our born-again backpackers :D. It's amazing what you can put in a backpack with efficient packing. I've just invested in the eBags Mother Lode Weekender, which I can't wait to use for my next Europe jaunt.:)

• 7 months later...
Possible? Yes. Costly? Also yes. Not sure if you can get a special long range price...because otherwise you may find yourself paying around 10€ per day per piece! For long term storage you might want to explore one of the private luggage storage options available in the same area. Here is a link to one place (there are others if you simply Google):

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/rome/termini/gerardo-hotel

I am not sure if they have changed their procedures at Termini...but they used to often want to open your luggage and search (by hand) before accepting some bags. We posted on this issue back in 2010 (the beginning of this thread). Italy is very security conscious (who can blame them?) and they have lots of concerns about storing un-searched bags.

Hank

Hank have you actually used BAGBNB? I am having a hard time finding credible sources for this company.