Just off the Sun 1.15 sailing

boxerdogdakota

Well I must say, the Sun was a nice ship as far as asthetics go. BUT, there were some aspects of it that were lacking. I did like the Freestyle cruising, but since they charge your account 10 bucks a day per person, the staff there knew they were getting paid, so they really did not go out of their way to make your stay all that memorable. The dining room staff was laxed to say the least, the room steward really didn't impress me, and the entertainment was sub par. The three main shows performed by the Jean Ann Ryan Co. were spectacular, but the cruise director's staff entertainment (deck party, etc) were pretty bland. As for the Cruise Director Linda Minnikin (sp?), she was pretty boring and really did not show much entertaining qualities. All in all a nice cruise, but there could have been improvements. Anyone else on this ship recently? Post your replies.

Scott

As much as I have enjoyed the Sun I tend to agree Cruise Director Linda Minnikin did not do a thing for me. Everyones taste is different. As Far as service never felt the auto tip effected it.

With 14 days on the Sun in the last year we had one wait staff member that was not up to par. We asked for a special order. She said "no". I reached for the comment card (more powerfull then a tip) in the center of the table and asked how to spell her last name.

Special request arrived at the speed of light :eek:

We were on the same cruise, and have no negative comments about the staff. We had a pair of room stewards who were delightful, did a terrific job, and even went so far as to create a delightful "towel dog" with my sunglasses one night. I'll try to attach a photo.

I didn't mind Linda Minnikin, but then again we don't participate in too many of the deck activities. The assistant was a very annoying young man, though, who thought wife and mother-in-law were really great. I thought that was passe.

We had a wonderful cruise, despite missing Grand Cayman because of rough seas and high wind, and appreciate the stabilizers the big ships have. We sort of staggered around the halls a bit when the ship rocked and rolled, but it wasn't really too bad (although I did wear a patch the first few days.

I guess this is just another example of how different people can have dissimilar experiences.

1151051371_Toweldogwithshades.jpg.bb72f7afa1f812096822a91b4670c200.jpg

We sailed on Jan 8th. Had a fairly good time. The room stewards were great (we got a towel doggy too!!!). The service was outstanding all the way around, but I agree with you about cruise director - I even found her a bit annoying

t__2005_0115NCLSun0035.jpg.efa2015360076a591e305394b8b6b266.jpg

"but since they charge your account 10 bucks a day per person"

":eek:

Yikes! That seems a little high for a tip. So, I can figure I'm gonna be automatically charged another $140.00 for my wife and I for a 7-day cruise?

Is the toilet paper free?:)

We were on this cruise in December and had no complaints at all about service. We had a great cabin steward (and yes we got several towel animals) but more important he was very quick supplying us with anything extra we needed (egg crate mattress pads and an extra pillow). We had no problems with the dining room staff - some were better than others but every waiter or waitress we had did their job efficiently.

Happy Traveler,

WHo was the assistant director? ON the 1/1 sailing it was Ray Ray (i think he was leaving soon) and I thought he was very blah....luckily we had Colin as CD and he was a riot!

Beth

We were on the 1/8 sailing. The first Cruise with Linda as Cruise Director and Ray Ray was still the Assistant. We missed Colin, by 1 week, as we had heard from these boards how entertaining he was, however we have nothing bad to say about our experience. Great Cabin Attendant, Nice Staff in all Restaurants, Beautiful Ship, Great Weather except last sea day, and even then we found plenty to entertain us.

As I drove home from work tonight, with another couple of inches of snow falling in Lancaster, PA after the nearly foot that fell this weekend, I wiash I were back on the Sun. I thought the Ports were fantastic.

Well I must say, the Sun was a nice ship as far as asthetics go. BUT, there were some aspects of it that were lacking. I did like the Freestyle cruising, but since they charge your account 10 bucks a day per person, the staff there knew they were getting paid, so they really did not go out of their way to make your stay all that memorable. The dining room staff was laxed to say the least

We were on the 1/1 sailing and I have to agree with your observations. I guess I'm just a traditional cruiser that prefers the same wait staff for the entire cruise.

the cruise director's staff entertainment (deck party, etc) were pretty bland.

Deck party? Whats that?

All in all a nice cruise, but there could have been improvements.

I agree.

Deck party? Whats that?
The relevant pages from my Freestyle Dailies for the Caribbean deck party and the 50's and 70's deck party (the complete set of Freestyle Dailies is accessible from this page).

Beware: There is audience participation. :)

As for Linda, my view was that her strength is that she's a very good manager - which is really the bulk of her job. On the cruise I was on, she seemed to have done a lot of things to make everyone's cruise a good one, even though most of it was done behind the scenes in ways which most pax would never have noticed or imagined.

Sorry to hear Linda was blah. However, I agree with you, Beth, about Colin, who now has moved to the Dawn permanently. He is histerical. (We just got off Dawn on 1/20) He can be a little corny, but knows it and really enjoys what he does. No matter what he makes you laugh. He even made the "Disembarcation Presentation" funny.

We had an opportunity at our cruise critics meetings to speak to him on a one to one and I must say he is the real thing. We got some interesting info and really enjoyed him.

Mary Alice

Happy Traveler and shore guy

Okay I'm a nit picker but you guys need to go back to biology class. this is obviously a towel crocidile not a towel dog! :rolleyes: Sheesh.

When I think of the hours those poor stewards spend making those towel animals only to have them so misunderstood.

Attached Images

attachment.php?attachmentid=4858&stc=1

Happy Traveler and shore guy

Okay I'm a nit picker but you guys need to go back to biology class. this is obviously a towel crocidile not a towel dog! :rolleyes: Sheesh.

When I think of the hours those poor stewards spend making those towel animals only to have them so misunderstood.

Attached Images

attachment.php?attachmentid=4858&stc=1

Nowhere did I state that my creation was a dog :) I would hate to have my steward come here and see we did not understand this art form. I will say Happy's looks like a dog not a gator. :rolleyes:

Bequia: This is my 25th cruise. I have seen what the other companies do, how the other ships are, and what to expect from a crew that is trying to wow you for tips.

Everyone else: As for the dining, I will illustrate some examples. One night we were told (by the Maitre 'D) that we could get our wine from the previous night by simply telling them our room number. The waitress didn't want to be bothered, so she blew us off. Next, we sat in a dining room for 10 minutes without water, a menu, or even a stare. Now, this happened to be in the far corner away from the kitchen, so I am guessing the staff in this area was there for a reason. Seems the closer you are to the kitchen, the better the service. Lastly, my wife and I were on our honeymoon, so we wanted to sit at a table for two (and were willing to patiently wait). The restaurant host had a few of the table markers in front of her to let her know which tables were available. I saw that table 212 was available (a table for two that we had sat in previously), so I requested it. She said it was no problem, and had one of the dining room runners take us to that area only to find people sitting there already, and then the girl turned around and sat us at a 4 person table with another couple that had the social skills of #2 pencil. I would have gotten better stimulus from watching paint dry. I am a sociable person, love to meet other people, so when I try to talk to someone and they look at me like I have 4 heads, its rather frustrating.

Well, there you have my clarifications...

Scott

PS: Vernon and Joann..... Room 9260.... are you checking in?

I was very satisfied with all the stewards, wait staff, EVERYONE employed by NCL. Even though we missed Grand Cayman, the cruise was GREAT!!!!! All the staff were helpful, polite, and went the extra yard to help anyone with any request. I also did not see any people who were sea sick, even as it a little rough now and then.

Then again, some people are just easily impressed.

boxerdog,

I don't see any reason to resort to potshots.

originally posted by boxerdog

Anyone else on this ship recently? Post your replies.

Especially after you invited others to share their opinions.

Archived