Florida Resident Discount? What is this?

rpouls

Just curious - what exactly is a Florida resident discount??!

Being from the north, I would expect that we 'northerners' would get a discount, since we're paying for airfare.

Am I missing something?

Please explain! And thanks in advance for responses,

Most times they have resident disc for a variety of states and for canada also...just all depends on the salings and dates...some have them some dont.

Have gotten Colo disc a few times...cant complain for getting a disc just cause I live here...I like it.

Any state can at times have resident discounts. I dont know that there are more Florida resident discounts, than for those who live in Ohio. Just check the box you live in.

Where did you see reference specifically to a Florida discount?

Carnival offers state discounts it seems to me rarely when they want to fill a ship.

It is exactly as you have said- a discount for residents of Florida. There are several factors that determine which states get resident's discounts such as being a resident of the state that the cruise ship departs from etc. Look at it as a locals discount such as one would find at your city/town tourist spots. For example, I am from Jamaica and many tourist activities/hotels offer local rates

The theme parks in Florida also have resident discounts. Perhaps that's unfair too?

Think of it this way: who is more likely to return on a more frequent basis? Someone who lives 20 miles away or someone who lives 2000 miles away?

You would think that Texas would see a few more resident discounts. It is always cheaper to sail out of Florida anyway. Then to get a discount on top of it, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!:confused:

No need to give Texans discounts, since they are filling the Texas based ships without one.

To the OP, I see Ohio residency discounts often.

I agree with Cruisemom2 that we Floridians are more apt to take more cruises because we don't have to fly in from anywhere. It's the convenience factor. DH and I take many more cruises each year since we moved to FL from "up north". Same for the Disney theme parks. I have employees who go 3-4 times a year, especially with the FL resident discounts. Probably the majority of northerners only go once a year, if that.

I agree as well - I do feel they give us the discount because we are more apt to cruising 'cause we don't have far to travel to port.

or could it be they give us the discount because we have to put up with so many tourists? hahaha.

Disney does the same thing - we get great deals on yearly passes and that's smart - they know we will go and spend $$ on other stuff.

It is exactly as you have said- a discount for residents of Florida. There are several factors that determine which states get resident's discounts such as being a resident of the state that the cruise ship departs from etc. Look at it as a locals discount such as one would find at your city/town tourist spots. For example, I am from Jamaica and many tourist activities/hotels offer local rates

You would think that Texas would see a few more resident discounts. It is always cheaper to sail out of Florida anyway. Then to get a discount on top of it, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!:confused:

I read the post about locals should get discounts ... and thought exactly what you said .... so where is my TEXAS discount out of Galveston. I want mine too.

I agree as well - I do feel they give us the discount because we are more apt to cruising 'cause we don't have far to travel to port.

or could it be they give us the discount because we have to put up with so many tourists? hahaha.

Disney does the same thing - we get great deals on yearly passes and that's smart - they know we will go and spend $$ on other stuff.

My thoughts are they give Florida discounts because the market is too flooded with cruises out of Florida... else they would give all locals discounts by your reasoning.

Thanks to all who responded to my post:)

I think I get it . . . but still wish us northerners could see a discount, or at least get more credits for cruises, since we're paying for airfare + hotel + luggage (HUGE fees there now) . . .

Anyway, Happy Cruising to all!

Thanks to all who responded to my post:)

I think I get it . . . but still wish us northerners could see a discount, or at least get more credits for cruises, since we're paying for airfare + hotel + luggage (HUGE fees there now) . . .

Anyway, Happy Cruising to all!

Just to make sure here: if you use the Quick Search Box on HOME Page to "shop" cruise deals, you would enter your cruise parameters, the click on the Check Specials link and enter your state of residency and select Past Guest and 55+ as applicable, and click on search. Result will lead to cruises offering Residency Rate for your state. Residency rates are offered only some of the time, but are offered for MANY states. ken

Think of it this way: who is more likely to return on a more frequent basis? Someone who lives 20 miles away or someone who lives 2000 miles away?

And they would be right - I just finished my 3rd Carnival cruise in the past 5 months.

Because we Floridians are cheap and need to feel like we're getting a discount just to book a cruise? :p

I thought it was a reward for putting up with so many tourist....:o Just kidding...without the tourist, Florida would still be a hot, humid, swamp and most of us would still be living up north. :D (I'm an Northeastern Ohio native and have lived in Florida for 38 years next month)

I have never gotten a Florida resident discount from Carnival...but I always check!

I booked my April Inspiration cruise using a FL resident discount, and it was cheaper (and less hassle) than the ES rate. :)

As an aside - like a PP stated, Disney parks offer FL resident discounts, too (so does Universal Studios), which boosts their business. As FL resident passholders, we go to the house of mouse 5-6 times per year. I would guess that some residents visit Carnival ships just as often. :cool:

As an aside - like a PP stated, Disney parks offer FL resident discounts, too (so does Universal Studios), which boosts their business. As FL resident passholders, we go to the house of mouse 5-6 times per year. I would guess that some residents visit Carnival ships just as often. :cool:

What does being a resident have to do with this or the discounts .. .they are a marketing tool, supply and demand. I did more than your 5 - 6 cruises in a year ... and not one resident discount.

What does being a resident have to do with this or the discounts .. .they are a marketing tool, supply and demand. I did more than your 5 - 6 cruises in a year ... and not one resident discount.

I'm agreeing with an earlier post that it's easier to get someone to travel 20 miles rather than 2000 to fill a last minute spot. Usually the Florida resident discounts are for the off season at the theme parks - September to November and January & February. Currently Disney does have a great Florida resident deal with very few blackout dates.

I've previously heard of non-Florida residents applying for a Florida State ID card to qualify for the in-state rates. The rules though changed as of January 1 in compliance with the federal Real ID Act of 2005 passed by Congress out of concern for the security of our nation.

Dang! I hope the hostile tone I read was due to a misinterpretation. I didn't say I took 5-6 cruises in a year - I said I visit the Mickey Mouse operation (Disney theme park) 5-6 times per year.

I was simply drawing a comparison that part of the reason I visit Disney so often is BECAUSE of the good rates for residents, and that it is "probably" a similar situation for those FL residents who choose to cruise.

Essentially, we are saying the same thing - the resident rates work in filling the ships.

And congrats on your outstanding number of cruises in a year. :D

Dang! I hope the hostile tone I read was due to a misinterpretation. I didn't say I took 5-6 cruises in a year - I said I visit the Mickey Mouse operation (Disney theme park) 5-6 times per year.

I was simply drawing a comparison that part of the reason I visit Disney so often is BECAUSE of the good rates for residents, and that it is "probably" a similar situation for those FL residents who choose to cruise.

Essentially, we are saying the same thing - the resident rates work in filling the ships.

And congrats on your outstanding number of cruises in a year. :D

Hostile?? Yep you are imagining it.

#1 never said you took 5 - 6 cruises, but I said I did ... and all these people who think Carnival is doing this as if its only to encourage Florida reisdents ... its about the bottom line, $$$$$, moola, supply and demand as I said.

Im just saying the markets in Florida to me are flooded, too much competition. (which is why I think Galveston will get Magic :D)

You'all are proving my point ...if they have to pay folks a discount to cruise in Florida, ya'all got too many ships.

Im just saying how I feel ... you are deciding because I dont agree that they are encouraging Florida in particular (when they do other state residents too, who dont even live near a port) ..just not how I see it.

btw I lived in Boca Raton for 13 years before I moved here not too long ago ... so I KNOW the discounts for the theme parks etc they give out.

Hostile?? Yep you are imagining it.

#1 never said you took 5 - 6 cruises, but I said I did ... and all these people who think Carnival is doing this as if its only to encourage Florida reisdents ... its about the bottom line, $$$$$, moola, supply and demand as I said.

Im just saying the markets in Florida to me are flooded, too much competition. (which is why I think Galveston will get Magic :D)

You'all are proving my point ...if they have to pay folks a discount to cruise in Florida, ya'all got too many ships.

Im just saying how I feel ... you are deciding because I dont agree that they are encouraging Florida in particular (when they do other state residents too, who dont even live near a port) ..just not how I see it.

btw I lived in Boca Raton for 13 years before I moved here not too long ago ... so I KNOW the discounts for the theme parks etc they give out.

My mistake. Let's just chalk it up to yet another example of how difficult it is to read tone in the written word. :)

I am not disagreeing with you - I am just offering my humble opinion on the matter. I can accept that there are many different possibilities, and that unless one of us is telepathic and can read the Carnival corporate minds, we'll never know for sure why it is that FL residents get such discounts. We can only speculate.

Archived