Coral Princess

Nope - not Princess Cruises, but Captain Cook Cruises.

Coral Princess l & ll, both 730 tonne triple deck catamarans that cruise the FNQ inner reef waters from Cairns on a weekly basis.

50 passengers.

Seven night cruise, Cairns - Cooktown - Lizard Island - Cairns - Dunk Island - Hinchinbrook Island - Townsville.

Lost of reef walking and guided tours by on-board marine biologists - great food, good wine.

Anybody done one?????

We are thinking of checking out our wonderful reef in Winter this year and wondering if anybody has any reports - good or bad.:)

http://www.captaincook.com.au/home.asp?pageid=1661F5DD27C61DDC&destinationid=3B62B303497F34E9&mgid=183

I have never even thought about doing one of those. Now I have to check it out.

Hope someone chimes in here.

Hi Karon,

We have friends live in the Cairns region who speak highly of the cruises.

Capt Cook cruises have been there for years - and are very popular with international tourists.

A great way to see the best our far north tropical coast has to offer - and do it in comfort with a glass of "something nice" at hand. :):D

• 2 months later...
How are these cruises in January? We're considering a trip that would be the last week in January. Too rainy? Too hot and humid? Too too too much??

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

Unless you can really handle tropical monsoonal weather I would not even consider this cruise in January.

We have numerous people in the South of Australia who come up to far North Queensland in winter for the warmth.

They fall in love with it, buy a home and move up form the colder climes.

Sooooo many houses come on the Real Estate market come the wet season - mainly from the southern owners.;)

The difference is incredible

There again, the vessel is fully air conditioned and the bar would be a good haven after a "sticky" day outside. :D:p

Let me put it this way - I am from sub-tropical Queensland - lived here nearly all my life - and I am not going anywhere near Cairns in January -- EVER!!!

Barry

How are these cruises in January? We're considering a trip that would be the last week in January. Too rainy? Too hot and humid? Too too too much??

Thanks

Sue

Don't even think about this trip in January - or any time from November to March for that matter. The weather would be very wet with tropical downpours of rain, very humid and the possibility of a cyclone (hurricane).

Anyone interested in cruising in our tropical regions should also check out True North and Orion Cruises...have friends who have done both a number of times who report them as brilliant..pricey but brilliant.

p.s. wimps I am from Townsville, I happily cruise/visit during the wet...us water starved citizens of the south find the sight of lots of water fascinating. Yes it is hot and humid good excuse to wear little and drink lots lol:D

Archived