MS Ryndam March 14 - 21, 2010 - Charter cruise

doctork

Prairie Home Companion Charter Cruise with Garrison Keillor (thus a “theme cruise”)

Itinerary: Tampa, Florida to Key West, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel

I’ve sailed on only three cruises now (unless you count sailing to Hawaii on the Matson liners back in the 1960’s as a “cruise”), and they have all been on HAL as one of the Prairie Home Companion charter cruises – to Alaska, the Fjords of Norway, and now the western Caribbean. I thought it might be interesting to post a trip report about what is happening on a “charter cruise” as I think there are some differences from other HAL cruises, even the ones with groups on board. For one thing, everyone on board is a fan of the radio show Prairie Home Companion, or at least married to or partnered with someone who is.

This Ryndam cruise is the 4th cruise chartered by Garrison Keillor, the first was to the Canadian Maritime Provinces in 2005, the second to Alaska in 2006 on the Zaandam, the third on the Veendam to the Fjords of Norway in 2007 . They have all featured the usual cast of the radio show Prairie Home Companion, as well as a variety of favorite guests, which makes for truly superb entertainment. This cruise includes guests Robin & Linda Williams (country, gospel and mountain music), Jearlyn Steele and her brother Billy (gospel singing and R&B by Jearlyn with her brother Billy on the piano or organ), Heather Masse (of the Wailin’ Jennys).

The cruises have all had the traditional early and late dinner seatings, and depending on your dinner time, each evening in The Showroom there is an early show and a late show. I have done the early show and the late dinner on each cruise. The evening shows consist either of a typical original radio show just like you would hear on NPR on Saturday night or Sunday morning, or another assortment of GK and a variety of guests – “Duets” or a “Talent Show” (there are many amazingly talented cruisers here), or an “All Request” night. In addition, all the guest performers as well as the show regulars do individual or smaller group performances throughout the afternoons and evenings.

There is additional entertainment in the form a several naturalists who give interesting lectures on the plants and animals and geology of the regions visited, as well as a Scotsman who offers “educational” Scotch tastings, book and knitting clubs, Garrison leading us in Glee Club (on other cruises it has been Choir Practice, using the Lutheran hymnal) for an hour each morning, and a host of other choices. So many offerings it was difficult to decide which to do, beginning at 6 am with the naturalists and going until well after midnight with Jason Keillor (Garrison’s son) as DJ in the Crow’s Nest.

Though this was my third cruise with GK, as I missed the first one to Canada, my husband is the sort who thought one Garrison Keillor Prairie Home Companion cruise (Alaska) was sufficient, and I had planned to cruise solo until the last weekend before this cruise, when a friend decided to join me and share my cabin; this was surprisingly easy to do! She had been on all three previous cruises with Prairie Home Companion, and has also cruised on non-charter sailings, including one last spring on the MS Ryndam to the Mexican Riviera. This was interesting as it allows her to make comparisons between the ship’s pre-drydock condition and now. She concludes that the Showroom is configured differently – more lounge-like with more tables, and less like a theater. The Mix and a couple of the other bars and lounges are “spiffier and sharper” now, with more appeal to a younger crowd. Also new carpeting, but otherwise quite familiar.

Sunday was our sailing date, and both of us had arrived on Saturday – I on the red-eye, and she at a more reasonable pace, late morning. Since a Floridian friend of mine and I had previously planned to get together that Saturday evening, my cabin mate spent the extra time in Sarasota, and we didn’t meet up until we boarded. I had the fun of having lunch in Ybor City before the cruise since it is so close to the pier, then my own private transportation via said friend to the dock. I boarded relatively late, about 2 pm for a 5 pm sailing, and there was no waiting in lines; I breezed right through, the only passenger boarding. My cabin mate arrived earlier, shortly after 11, and she did face long lines. Still, I was well ahead of the lifeboat drill, which was much better than the 2007 Norway cruise when, due to an SAS luggage snafu, I arrived at the pier as the lifeboat drill was happening, and only about 30 minutes before sail away, just barely under the wire.

Mindful of the recent discussion threads on lollygaggers who arrive late and delay boarding. My friend and I sat out on the veranda watching closely for late-comers, but it did appear that most people did board timely. Later we learned that due to East Coast snow storms, 68 passengers were unable to get to Tampa in time; they boarded at Key West, our first stop the next day.

Sail away on a Prairie Home charter seems very special. Garrison Keillor and the Guys All Star Shoe Band perform a lot of sing-along songs outside by the pool, and the audience actually sings along! We are enthusiasts. He began with “The Star Spangled Banner” in the key of G since it is easier to sing, and then continued along with a variety of nautically themed songs, special requests, and Happy Birthday for someone celebrating that day. There was a big Bar-B-Que dinner in the Lido and out by the Seaview Pool as all the singing was winding up, so a lot of people never quite made it to formal dinner in the Rotterdam Dining Room. We did, but our tablemate(s) did not, so we had to wait another day to learn more about that.

I think this is enough for one post!

Archived