can you add people later?

beckzay

We plan on sailing in April of 2011. We are a family of 5, two of them being teenagers. We are allowing the teens to bring along a friend each. We planned on booking two rooms anyway and 3rd and 4th passengers aren't that expensive. My question is, can we book just the five of us, two rooms and then add the two friends at a later time without penalty? I would like to put the deposit down this month but I'm not sure if I can get a commitment from two people outside of the family this far out.

We plan on sailing in April of 2011. We are a family of 5, two of them being teenagers. We are allowing the teens to bring along a friend each. We planned on booking two rooms anyway and 3rd and 4th passengers aren't that expensive. My question is, can we book just the five of us, two rooms and then add the two friends at a later time without penalty? I would like to put the deposit down this month but I'm not sure if I can get a commitment from two people outside of the family this far out.

Yes you can as long as the ship itself is not sold out. Just make sure that you get cabins that can accommodate four passengers in each ( I assume that you will have a cabin of three and a cabin of four.) I did exactly this when my daughter wanted to join her brother and myself on our recent Pearl cruise and it was no problem even after final payment.

I would be careful though, especially if it is a holiday sailing, as the ship can deny the extra passengers as it gets closer to selling out, due to overcrowding.. They can only sell as many beds as they have lifeboat space available, and if on that sailing there are a lot of triples and quads sold, they may limit the number of people per cabin even IF the cabin can accommodate them (if they have room for 40 people left and have 20 cabins left to sell, they will sell the cabins as doubles and not let anyone add extra people to their cabins, no matter how long ago they booked). I see this happen often on CTNs, and on some holiday sailings. I have had an AB on a CTN where I was not allowed to add a third pax almost 3 moths prior to sailing, even with the empty extra bedroom.

In the past, we have done the same as you - brought friends for the kids along, and not known which friend it was going to be. I book the room for however many I will eventually need, and make the extra passenger names "Jane Doe, Maya Bestfriend" etc - sometimes there is an issue with the PC and they want a real name, so I make one up - and supply my own home address. Then, when final payment is due, the girls decide and I change them to the correct names and addresses... I have even had to change the name a week or so before sailing when someone couldn't go at last minute. This way, you DEFINITELY have the cabin and passenger space protected.. Yes, you have to pay the extra deposits, but they are refundable up until final payment is due.

Robin

Not sure I have this right, so I am very open to clarification/correction...

if 3rd and 4th passengers are booked (with fake names), the deposit for them will be due at time of reservation. This is not issue, if Future Cruise Rewards are used for the deposit. In standard situation, I think the extra $250 or $500 would have to be deposited.

If the extra passengers never materialize (just 2 in cabin), would taxes and fees for the 3rd & 4th passengers still be owed?

Thanks.

Not sure I have this right, so I am very open to clarification/correction...

if 3rd and 4th passengers are booked (with fake names), the deposit for them will be due at time of reservation. This is not issue, if Future Cruise Rewards are used for the deposit. In standard situation, I think the extra $250 or $500 would have to be deposited.

If the extra passengers never materialize (just 2 in cabin), would taxes and fees for the 3rd & 4th passengers still be owed?

Thanks.

Any payments for 3rd/4th would be subject to the cancellation rules, so if you cancel them prior to final payment, there would be no charge. After final payment cancellation would result in paying any penalties that apply based on time, etc, just like a regular reservation.

Robin

Also, keep in mind that even if the sail date is not sold out they can cut off booking any additional 3/4th passengers. They only allow so many per sailing and even if your cabin can hold up to four you could be denied if they have reach the max allowed for that sailing.

Here is what I did not time. I booked using the name of the person that was going to go (no committment yet). I paid the third party hold thing. When she decided not to go at 92 days out I cancelled her out and got my money back before final payment due. I asked that instead of going on my card they use it on the rest of the reservatiion which they did.

The other thing to consider is the age of the teens. That could also go over the number allowed in the center for that age group.

The other thing to consider is the age of the teens. That could also go over the number allowed in the center for that age group.

Of course, there is no way you will know this until you board. And find out how many try to sign up.

The consensus seems to be that it is safe to book the room with the 3rd/4th person on the reservation. Greater deposit may be applicable, but if cancellation occurs before final payment, there will be no penalty. If cancellation occurs after final payment, regular penalties would apply.

Do I have it right?

I don't mind paying the deposit, that's not the issue, so I will just book it with the two extra teens who I think are going and hope it remains the same. If I need to change the name (passenger) before final payment will there be a name change fee?

I don't mind paying the deposit, that's not the issue, so I will just book it with the two extra teens who I think are going and hope it remains the same. If I need to change the name (passenger) before final payment will there be a name change fee?

Shouldn't be. Don't remember if I paid a fee on the last-minute change, but know I never did for anything prior to final payment.

Robin

Archived