Where to buy inexpensive snorkeling equipment

Can anyone recommend inexpensive snorkeling equipment that we can purchase to take on our cruise? We are novice snorkelers, and are looking for a basic beginners set for adults for around $30. I saw a pair on Sears.com and on amazon.com, but I'd like a recommendation before I buy. Does Walmart or Target carry anything acceptable?

We got four adult sets from Costco, and they've lasted for many uses, They were about $35 for each set, and seemed to br better made than others at the same price point.

Totally agree w/SeatteBerbershop! I purchased 3 US Divers sets from Costco back in 2001 and have used it over and over again. My teens haven't broken them, they are pretty well made.

We purchased our sets from Sam's Club. Purchased the first two about 4 years ago and then two for our daughters more recently. They are made by Body Glove and come with a bag to sling over your back. The best thing about these sets is the snorkels are dry top snorkels. Which means they automatically close off when you go under and open up when you come back up. You don't have to blow the water out of the top!! This is a great feature for someone who does not like to swallow a lot of salt water!!! We love them. Have used them several times. $40 a set.

I bought two sets off eBay. They were brand new. Mine is a Body Glove & DH is a US Divers. We REALLY like them. They were about $50 each because we wanted the totally dry snorkels.

You won't need fins unless you're snorkeling on an excursion that's in open water. However, if you're snorkeling off a beach then be sure to where water shoes. The best snorkeling is near rocks, corals, etc., which can really do damage to your feet. You can purchase inexpensive water shoes for around $10 at any K-mart or W-mart type store.

We bought our snorkel sets from Costco. Well made, affordable (I think about $48 Cdn) and came with convenient mesh bag for transporting them. What we are looking for now, though, are the inflatable snorkeling vests. Does anyone out there know of a reasonable place to pick one up?

Thanks in advance

US Divers used to have a good mask/snorkel set for $25 @ Walmart. They have changed their design some, and added some cheap looking high vis orange since I bought my set 6 years ago though. I SCUBA dive, and have used my US Divers set without any problems. I would recommend it to any new snorkeler.

Go with the semi-dry snorkel. The dry snorkels are bulky and they float... ok for kids, but not good if you want to dive down to look at something.

Cheap=Walmart

However it really is worth it buy a quality mask that has been fitted to your face. For that you will need to go to a dive shop.

Costco has a great deal, I have been certified for nearly 30 years, dive shops are not going to sell as cheap.

The mast are silicon and the fins are the new back strap with quick release.

Most important, the wider and shorter fins allow for easy fit in a back pack.

The snorkel is a semi dry with purge valve and silicon mouth piece.

Great value, better quality then Walmart combo package.

Archived