ROLL CALL - Opera 2nd April

czechmate

Thank You for sharing .............Geeeeeeeee Whizzzzzzzzzzzz GREAT!

Ah - Amber, you did ask - and now I must tell all! Was saving this story to bore you all with during our GTG or sometime aboard....but you have dragged it out of me :rolleyes:

Firstly, may I state that this whole trip (around 3 months) is a reward to myself following 'retirement'....I say 'retirement' because I am still working on a contract basis - 5 days a fortnight. This is why I can be away for so long, and how I managed to have the money to do it.

Ok..here goes! Long message.........

20 March - Flying Sydney to LAX

20 March to 31 March - staying with friends in San Diego, other friends from Arizona are driving over to spend 3 days, so we will have a great reunion!

31 March - Staying overnight at Embassy Suites North (LAX airport)

1 April - Verrrrry early morning (but direct) flight to Ft Lauderdale . Staying at Ft Lauderdale Marina Marriott - looking forward to the GTG at Goosbys!

2 April to 19 April - having the pleasure of the company of you all aboard 'Opera'

19 April to 23 April - staying onboard 'Opera' for an additional 4 nights as she sails via Naples & Dubrovnik to Venice

23 April to 29 April - Staying at Pensione La Calcina in Dorsoduro sestiere http://www.lacalcina.com My travel friend Deborah arrives from Sydney. During the Venice stay, other friends from New Jersey, California and St Maarten are flying in for what we are describing as the 'party of the year'

29 April to 9 May - another cruise! HAL 'Rotterdam' (with Deborah) - ports of call are Messina (Sicily), Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Ajaccio (Corsica) and Cagliari (Sardinia)

9 May to 14 May - further stay in Venice, this time in an apartment in Cannaregio sestiere http://www.archirent.it/sangirolamo

14 May - fly to Zurich

14 May to 3 June - staying 3 weeks in Switzerland, with friends in Lohn (between Solothurn & Berne)

4 June to 5 June - fly to Heathrow, spending weekend in countryside with friends from Essex

5 June - fly to Bangkok

6 June to 8 June - the extravagant (as if all the above isn't enough!) stay at Peninsula Hotel - also catching up with friend who lives in Bangkok

9 June - fly back to Sydney...to real life, an empty bank account :(...but hopefully with oodles of fabulous memories of my trip!

I can hear the collective gnashing of teeth from here, everyone, but I've worked very hard for a long time, and....to use one of my favourite phrases......it's no more than I deserve :p

Having told you all this...I'll have NOTHING to talk about on the ship....but, don't you believe it...ha,ha!

Hi All ........ I am going to start a new thread just for this one topic. Keep it away from the main thread.

P.S. Does the "last page" mean we soon have to start a complete new thread? Looks like it to me!

Are we a too talkative group - or just excited! LOL

:) you got it! cann't wait, it been so long in planning.:D

Hi All ........ I am going to start a new thread just for this one topic. Keep it away from the main thread.

P.S. Does the "last page" mean we soon have to start a complete new thread? Looks like it to me!

Are we a too talkative group - or just excited! LOL

Hi Robynp - We will be also in Dursoduro, Venice but from 27 out on 29.

Marge

Marge - where are you staying in Dorsoduro? Looks like you leave on the day we set sail on 'Rotterdam' (29 April)

czechmate - 'last page' doesn't necessarily mean a new thread needs starting. Just means, if you have read all the other pages and want to view the latest postings, to click on 'last page'.

Should we continue to chat on this thread about the cruise in general, and leave your other thread for the St Thomas bus tour only? :confused:

Marge - where are you staying in Dorsoduro? Looks like you leave on the day we set sail on 'Rotterdam' (29 April)

I was going to give you the link but it's a little confusing. It's an apartment run by Ca della Corte. It is situated near Campo dei Carmini, very closed to Campo Santa Margherita (1 minutes walking distance) and to Accademia Bridge (5 minutes walking distance). Are you near there???

You must be taking trains???? Do you know about the 29 euro special that http://www.trenitalia.com has. You can booke 60 days in advance. Good saving on ES* if available. The only problem for us I havn't been able to get into the site for 3 days. I want to booked our Genova to Roma on Saturday.

Also, there is a free internet in Venice run by Telecom in the Campo Sq. of S. Salvadore, behind the Rialto Line 82 area. I hope I can find it.

And a free taxi near Harry's bar run by Cipriani over to their hotel Guidecca. Great gardens and you don't have to stay at the hotel to take the taxi.

All this info comes from http://slowtrav.com/ great site. Great info on how to get your train. I never thought you need to know the final destination of the train to find it on the board the other stops are not always listed. Ex: Roma to Firenze. Final is Milano.

How many days to April 1st.

I was going to give you the link but it's a little confusing. It's an apartment run by Ca della Corte. It is situated near Campo dei Carmini, very closed to Campo Santa Margherita (1 minutes walking distance) and to Accademia Bridge (5 minutes walking distance). Are you near there???

Marge - I have found Campo dei Carmini on my map. If you read my very long thread above (posted 16 Feb) - it gives the website for La Calcina where I am staying in Dorsoduro. It is on Fondamenta Zattere ai Gesuati (looking across at Giudecca). I can feel another mini-GTG coming on :D

You must be taking trains????

No trains for us Marge - again if you read my posting you will see that I am staying onboard Opera for an additional 4 nights and sailing into Venice, then flying to Switzerland.

Also, there is a free internet in Venice run by Telecom in the Campo Sq. of S. Salvadore, behind the Rialto Line 82 area. I hope I can find it.

Thanks for the tip - hope I can find it too!

And a free taxi near Harry's bar run by Cipriani over to their hotel Guidecca. Great gardens and you don't have to stay at the hotel to take the taxi.

We shall be using this - having lunch at Cipriani hotel during our stay:cool:

All this info comes from http://slowtrav.com/ great site

I've been a member on that forum for sometime Marge - I'll pop over there and read your posts!

About 6 weeks to the cruise...it's getting closer! :)

czechmate - 'last page' doesn't necessarily mean a new thread needs starting. Just means, if you have read all the other pages and want to view the latest postings, to click on 'last page'.

Should we continue to chat on this thread about the cruise in general, and leave your other thread for the St Thomas bus tour only? :confused:

Thanks for confirmation on "last page"!

Yes - we keep chatting here and leave the other thread just for those interested in the St Thomas tour. We have now been joined by Joan and Neville - also from Sydney. That makes 15 for the St Thomas tour.

Feel sure they will join us at our GTG so that means 23 and I will make the name badges!! :-)

Thank you for the info // we will be traveling by train......

have you been able to get into the site? I have tried all morning with no luck.

I really enjoy all your info. thank you.

we were in venice, CARNEVALE its was GREAT

You must be taking trains???? Do you know about the 29 euro special that www.trenitalia.com has. You can booke 60 days in advance. Good saving on ES* if available. The only problem for us I havn't been able to get into the site for 3 days. I want to booked our Genova to Roma on Saturday.

All this info comes from http://slowtrav.com/ great site. Great info on how to get your train. I never thought you need to know the final destination of the train to find it on the board the other stops are not always listed. Ex: Roma to Firenze. Final is Milano.

Yippee!!!:cool:

Thank you Marge for MSC's phone #. I called today and we are in cabin 8160 on La Traviata deck (deck 8). It appears several of us Cruise Critic's are on the same deck. How fun. Unfortunately, those of us booked through Skyauction do not receive much customer support.

We are envious of so many of our group meeting prior to boarding the ship. We are thinking of going to the train station and seeing if we can come April 1 to join this diverse, well travelled group, instead of day of sailing. We especially like the idea of extending the time together by going to dinner somewhere.

Will let you know what Amtrak says.

Vic & Carol

Your Welcome!!

We are in 8167. We can visit each other to see what's happening on the other side of the ship.

We booked with Sky Auction. Do we what to compare how much we each paid at our GTG????? Maybe not!!!! LOL. Last time we got a lot of freebies in our room from them.

GTG early are a little bite nicer because we aren't in such a rush on the first night on the ship. On our last cruise we didn't plan for it and I said "never again" the party was a blast. Hope you can make it. Marge

Yippee!!!:cool:

Thank you Marge for MSC's phone #. I called today and we are in cabin 8160 on La Traviata deck (deck 8). It appears several of us Cruise Critic's are on the same deck. How fun. Unfortunately, those of us booked through Skyauction do not receive much customer support.

We are envious of so many of our group meeting prior to boarding the ship. We are thinking of going to the train station and seeing if we can come April 1 to join this diverse, well travelled group, instead of day of sailing. We especially like the idea of extending the time together by going to dinner somewhere.

Will let you know what Amtrak says.

Vic & Carol

robyn - your about 15 min from us. GTG is always a great idea.

Marge

Marge - I have found Campo dei Carmini on my map. If you read my very long thread above (posted 16 Feb) - it gives the website for La Calcina where I am staying in Dorsoduro. It is on Fondamenta Zattere ai Gesuati (looking across at Giudecca). I can feel another mini-GTG coming on :D

robyn - your about 15 min from us. GTG is always a great idea.

Marge

Great Marge! Maybe we could work out a time/place during all those wonderful sea days!

Must apologise too - thought your comment on trains was directed at me, but now realise it was for Amber :o. Oh well, I AM BLONDE - natural, of course ;)

Archived