Car rental in Toulon

RBDB6

Can anyone tell us from past experience about the availability of car rentals for a day in Toulon.

We will be on a RCCL cruise ship that stops in Toulon for a day on Nov 30, 2010 from 7:00 am until 7:00 pm.

Thank you,

Diane and Roy

We rented (very last minute, as our port was changed from Marseille) from Hertz, which was a 15 minute walk or so from the pier--but vareful--have a good map; we didn't, and took a wrong turn and found it about an hour later!

We were nicely surprised by our (unplanned) stop in Toulon--not great in itself (it's the Mediterranean base for the French navy), but, on the advice of a very nice lady at the TI office in the (small) cruise terminal, we visited Sanary-sur-mer, Bandol, and Cassis.

Sanary is one of those picture-perfect small, soon to be, but as yet undiscovered, small French harbour towns. They have a great boulangerie (bakery) opposite the harbour--you'll know it by the line out the door, but it moves fast, and the goodies are worth it!

Bandol, was ok, not as interesting as Sanary.

We had lunch on the harbour in Cassis--now one of my favourite southern French towns--great town to stroll around--several interesting-looking restuarants on the very picturesque harbour. They have short cruises to see the Calanques nearby (limestone-cliff-sided inlets)--quite scenic.

It's an easy area to drive in, well-signed--just remember that French directions are given in terms of the city/town you're heading to. Also remember "Priorite-a-droite" ("Priority to the right")--the car approaching from the right always (always) has priority.

You're sure to enjoy your day!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Roy--We were in Monte Carlo the day before, renting through Hertz there, having reserved on the website. It was only that morning that we were informedof the port change from mMarseille to Toulon, so we enquired, and rented ahead through the Hertz Monte Carlo office.

Little--We rented through the Avenue Francois Cuzin office--just a little hole-in-the-wall location, but it was a Hertz office, and good enough for us. Make sure you have a map or GPS--as we weren't prepared, we got all turned around on the short (15 min) walk from the ship, and ended up taking a hour or so to find the place!

Good luck!

Kevin

• 3 months later...

I spoke with RCCL the other day, they still cannot tell me yet which dock we'll be at. She said it depends usually on who is on strike that day..........:) So it is best to check, she said they usually know more than a week out-it is NOT a given that RCCL will be in a designated port.

It's an easy area to drive in, well-signed--just remember that French directions are given in terms of the city/town you're heading to. Also remember "Priorite-a-droite" ("Priority to the right")--the car approaching from the right always (always) has priority.

You're sure to enjoy your day!

Kevin

Priorite a droite is more and less than what you say. It is more in that where it applies that tractor coming down a dirt road (or straight of the field) turning or crossing in front of you from your right has the right of way. It does not apply on roads where a yellow diamond on a white sign has been displayed. Confusing? Yes, but better than the right turn priority in New Zealand which can get you killed and wrong at the same time.

All that said you will have no trouble with a smidgen of French and common sense. for some handy signs see

http://www.discoverfrance.net/Boutique/Travel/Car_Rentals/road_signs.shtml

The end of city limits sign on the page is in German the French sign is similar though with a white background.

Bonne route!

We just returned from a wonderful trip on RCCL western med trip! Rented a car in La Seyner sur Mer...which was where we docked even though the itinerary was Toulon. I emailed Rccl and they were able to give me a straight answer about the port. BUT, we rented a car from SIXT...very dependable. Picked us up right when we got off the ship and took us to the car. We had a GPS...which i highly recommend, we just inserted city addresses and off we went! We rreturned the car to them and they drove us back to the ship! One of our favorite days! Good luck!

We just returned from a wonderful trip on RCCL western med trip! Rented a car in La Seyner sur Mer...which was where we docked even though the itinerary was Toulon. I emailed Rccl and they were able to give me a straight answer about the port. BUT, we rented a car from SIXT...very dependable. Picked us up right when we got off the ship and took us to the car. We had a GPS...which i highly recommend, we just inserted city addresses and off we went! We rreturned the car to them and they drove us back to the ship! One of our favorite days! Good luck!

We are also renting from Sixt when we dock in Toulon. Did the car have a GPS or did you bring your own with you?

Thanks...happy cruising....Joanne

We rented from Sixt in June and the car had a GPS, which the Sixt agent helped us program to get up to Aix en Provence.

We are also renting from Sixt when we dock in Toulon. Did the car have a GPS or did you bring your own with you?

Thanks...happy cruising....Joanne

That is exactly where we are going for the day. Any suggestions once we get there? I figured we would do a bit of shopping and have a nice lunch. I have the parking garages mapped out because I had read that parking is somewhat scarce. How was the traffic? We are docking in Toulon off a Celebrity ship, so you were actually coming from a different direction, but I imagine the roads to be similar. We have a short day leaving at 4, so will be leaving Aix around 1 to be back in Toulon by 2 and back on board by 3. Not too bad for our last day on the ship.

Thanks for all your help....happy cruising....Joanne

We rented a car from Sixt and drove to Aix. They happily rented us a GPS for a small additional charge, and helped us program it. Like you, we'd printed out maps with locations of parking garages and with the use of the GPS were able to drive straight to the underground parking in Aix. Use Google maps and look at a map of Aix-en-Provence, and you'll see the big traffic circle (le rotonde) where the Office de Tourisme is located at the top of the Cours Mirabeau. There's a parking garage right there. It's the perfect place to park because you can go right into the Tourist office and pick up maps and information to plan your day. There are helpful agents sitting at desks ready to answer your questions.

One other note: Be sure you have a clear understanding in advance of exactly where and when you will pick up and drop off your car. (There was some confusion in our communications with Sixt because we were renting two cars -- our fault and it was no big deal.) They will deliver the car to your dock, but in our case we had to return the cars to their office and take a taxi back to the ship -- it was much too far to walk.

I think we have the same garage picked out. After much research, that was the one everyone suggested. We also have the others listed if it is full. The agency is supposed to meet us at the pier and take us back to the office to get the car, so I imagine we will also have to grab a cab after we drop it off. Still, compared to the cruises line's excursion to Aix, we are saving quite a bit of money. I've requested a GPS in my last email to them. Even with the turn by turn Google directions and pictures, I'm guessing we will make out better with the GPS. We have one at home and love it. Can't wait for our first trip to France, the next 30 days will not pass fast enough for me :)

Happy cruising....Joanne

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

We are docking in Sanary Ser Mer (Seabourn Legend). I am curious if you booked for pick up/return to Toulon because that is the closest location I could find on their site? Some offices have a meet and greet feature is that what happened and they met you at the port?

Also with GPS how did you find driving in France? Easy? difficult ? We too are hoping to drive to Aix for the day.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
We are docking in Sanary Ser Mer (Seabourn Legend). I am curious if you booked for pick up/return to Toulon because that is the closest location I could find on their site? Some offices have a meet and greet feature is that what happened and they met you at the port?

Also with GPS how did you find driving in France? Easy? difficult ? We too are hoping to drive to Aix for the day.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi Chef:

You're lucky to be on a smaller ship which can dock in Sanary--one of our favourite French seaside towns. However, you're some distance from Toulonn (which is a good thing, especially if headed to Aix). It looks like the closest car rental agency is Sixt in Six-Fours-les-Plages, about 5 kms. away. Check with them if they do pickups at the pier in Sanary.

Bonne chance!

Kevin

I'm reading posts from last year and I'm a bit confused. If you don't know where your ship will actually dock Toulon or Sanary -- how can you pre-book a rental car?

I would like to rent a car for the day but am completely lost as to how to go about this.

Does anyone have an approximate idea of how much it costs to rent a compact car for the day? Do they have automatic transmissions?

First time cruising the Med. and I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks!

I'm reading posts from last year and I'm a bit confused. If you don't know where your ship will actually dock Toulon or Sanary -- how can you pre-book a rental car?

I would like to rent a car for the day but am completely lost as to how to go about this.

Does anyone have an approximate idea of how much it costs to rent a compact car for the day? Do they have automatic transmissions?

First time cruising the Med. and I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks!

In my research, I found that most of the rental car agencies are downtown Toulon. Additionally, I read somewhere that there is a water taxi for 2 Euro to take you from the Sanary to downtown Toulon, and a trolley for 3.5 Euro to take you downtown. The ship's bus costs about $16pp? Not sure how current this info is.

Archived