Why does Costa spend so little time in port?

peabody99

1) is b/c it costs more to dock longer?

2) more time on ship, more money for Costa?

I recall striking Costa in the Caribbean b/c of this since we are avid snorkelers and need the time. I just returned from Costa Pacifica, and LOVED it, but had to be torn kicking and screaming back to the ship from Barcelona (only 6 hours in port) and Catania (~ 5 hours in port) . I looked around a bit and found other cruiselines spend more time in ports-7-10 hours more typical. what gives? I would love to sail Costa again, but really would like more port time

It depends on the port and where the shore excursions go to from that port. Alexandria (Egypt) for example rates at least ten hours because the main tours have to go all the way to Cairo and back. Mykonos is a night-time attraction so the ships generally pull in in the late afternoon and depart in the wee hours of the night. The principal things to see in Barcelona only require a few hours and I guess snorkling or beach time isn't high on the agenda. I think the philosophy is that cruise ships cruise, moving from place to place, and need a certain amount of hours to do so. That's why on port-intensive cruises they move during the night and tie up during the day, but if the next port requires a night and half day sailing time, then that next port will get only an afternoon's worth of visit. Cruises generally give you an overview of a place. If a passenger finds he likes one in particular, he can always come back another time and spend a week.

this is the most annoying thing about costa, to me anyway. before i book a costa cruise, i always check the time in port.

once, i had a stop in naples that was only 5 hours. what a shame. i had been to naples before. no way did those poor passengers have enough time to see much of anything.

i think they want you back on the ship spending money.

It has been explained to me that Costa concentrates their itineraries on Europeans, who often cruise just for the cruise, not the ports. Many never leave the ship when in port. therefore they offer fewer excursions, and spend less time in port. EM

It has been explained to me that Costa concentrates their itineraries on Europeans, who often cruise just for the cruise, not the ports. Many never leave the ship when in port. therefore they offer fewer excursions, and spend less time in port. EM

I believe it. there was never a cluster to get off the ship on Costa or MSC for that matter. Lucky Europeans have easy access all the time, so why rush? Now I am suprised though that they would not want more time in the Caribbean being a different culture and all.

How nice for the Europeans! However, most of the time we poor Americans (and for myself I stress the "poor!") save up to go on these cruises as a way to see several places during one trip because we can't afford to visit them individually!

I would definitely not recommend Costa as a "go see Europe" cruise for this very reason. The lines more geared to Americans are more sightseeing intensive. Costa is the Carnival of Europe...it's about fun fun fun!

Jeff

Did you not know this going in? Am I missing something? The cruise lines put their time they will be in each port in their brochure. Find another cruise line that spends more time in ports.

steve/donnalee-thank you for your polite and helpful response. Yes, I can read. We took Costa for several reasons, price, itinerery, dates matched with spouses vacation time. So the fact that it seemed to have short times in port was a sacrifice we made. I am just saying it is a pity this is the case, b/c it was an otherwise perfect trip. I would much prefer Costa over the other lines in Europe if not for this. capiche?

I would definitely not recommend Costa as a "go see Europe" cruise for this very reason. The lines more geared to Americans are more sightseeing intensive. Costa is the Carnival of Europe...it's about fun fun fun!

Jeff

LOL! I definately missed that! Oh wait the old people we cruised with were out dancing all the time. I've never seen so many old people dancing in my life!! But from my viewpoint I definately wouldn't call if a party ship.

I went on the Pacifica in February and really enjoyed all of my sight seeing. I felt we had plenty of time in every port. We were in port for at least 8-14 hrs everywhere except for Olympia, Greece and Cyprus. Then there wasn't that much to do in these ports that took more than 4 hrs. I was very happy with the amount of time we spent in each port.

Quite a few Costa Mediterranean cruises do not have a day at sea, so have to spend more time sailing during the day, hence less port time.

We're booked on a 11 night East Mediterranean cruise in October (on the Costa Mediterranea) that has four sea days! The hours in the various ports seem adequate to me: Savona 8 hours, Civitavecchia-Rome 11 hours, Alexandria Egypt 14 hours, Cyprus 5 hours, Rhodes 7 hours, Malta 9 hours, Tripoli 11 hours, plus the four wonderful lazy at sea days. Really looking forward to it!

Did you not know this going in? Am I missing something? The cruise lines put their time they will be in each port in their brochure. Find another cruise line that spends more time in ports.

Are you always this helpful and caring to other people?:confused:

Archived