Secrets of Half Moon Cay

Sailaways_

Is there a path to the good snorkeling area? I did the snorkel excursion last time and really enjoyed it, but would love to snorkel from the beach.

The path is less than a 2 minute walk from the pier.

After disembarking from the tender and before going through the arch entrance to HMC take a right toward a small house/building. You will see two paths, asphalt path to the left of the structure and a sandy path through the mangroves to the right. Take the sandy path up the hill. At the top of the hill you will see a beach 500 ft long. It is rocky and you need to be careful.

Since this area is not supervised by HAL, do not snorkel alone and you need to be an above average snorkeler.

Enter the water near the rip rap (stone wall) where the bottom is sandy, snorkel out 50 feet until you see sandy bottom and then snorkel parallel to beach.

I have snorkeled at this location three times and have seen many tropical fish, stringways, sharks and barracudas :eek: !

Good luck

The path is less than a 2 minute walk from the pier.

After disembarking from the tender and before going through the arch entrance to HMC take a right toward a small house/building. You will see two paths, asphalt path to the left of the structure and a sandy path through the mangroves to the right. Take the sandy path up the hill. At the top of the hill you will see a beach 500 ft long. It is rocky and you need to be careful.

Since this area is not supervised by HAL, do not snorkel alone and you need to be an above average snorkeler.

Enter the water near the rip rap (stone wall) where the bottom is sandy, snorkel out 50 feet until you see sandy bottom and then snorkel parallel to beach.

I have snorkeled at this location three times and have seen many tropical fish, stringways, sharks and barracudas :eek: !

Good luck

Sounds like the area the snorkel excusion takes you to. Although happily I didn't see a shark. What kind and how many have you seen there?

Edited by slabeaume

I've been to Half Moon Cay twice -- the first time was in Dec. '09 and it was a rainy day so we decided to stay on the ship. The second was in March '11 and we absolutely loved it! I thought the BBQ was great, and I'm very picky about food. Have a wonderful time!! :)

The snorkelling is good if you walk down the far end of the beach from where you dock, past the horse stables, as far as you can go.

There are rocks and some currents there though, so you need to be a decent swimmer.

I was down there on my own, and saw a big barracuda, which was a bit scary!

Edited by debsjc

We have been to HMC twice and have loved it both times. The food was good, as someone said, it was like a picnic. We found lounges to sit on and chatted with the folks around us, took some pictures, went for a stroll and found a place from some refreshments and music and enjoyed the time, before returning to the ship. It was good time. Hope some day to visit HMC again.

Sounds like the area the snorkel excusion takes you to. Although happily I didn't see a shark. What kind and how many have you seen there?

You can see the snorkel excusion boat from the beach. I have seen nurse & reef sharks.

Grand Turks: another secret place to snorkel is near the pier next to the beach. Last April 2011 I was the only one snorkeling in this area and there were many tropical fish and two nurse sharks.

You can see the snorkel excusion boat from the beach. I have seen nurse & reef sharks.

Grand Turks: another secret place to snorkel is near the pier next to the beach. Last April 2011 I was the only one snorkeling in this area and there were many tropical fish and two nurse sharks.

That makes me feel a little better. I have seen a nurse and reef shark while snorkeling elsewhere and was happy they didn't eat me. I love snorkeling! So the snorkeling in Grand Turks----is by the pier better then down by Jacks (or whatever that bar is called?

That makes me feel a little better. I have seen a nurse and reef shark while snorkeling elsewhere and was happy they didn't eat me. I love snorkeling! So the snorkeling in Grand Turks----is by the pier better then down by Jacks (or whatever that bar is called?

Grand Turk - The snorkelling is better by the pier, than down by Jacks. I didn't see anything much down at Jacks at all. Maybe if you swim all the way out to the big drop off you would see something at Jacks, but that's a long way out (maybe 15 mins swim) Plus there are dive boats zipping back and forth at Jacks, so you need to make sure they have seen you and don't run into you.

We are batting .500 for Half Moon Cay. Since it is a tender port, we have missed it twice due to rough seas and were heartbroken. We have found it to be paradise.

A few points:

• Save a few dollars. The clam shells get stuffy and the cabanas are just a status symbol. If you get off of the ship early, you can find lounge chairs under the trees with plenty of shade. You may need to walk several yards down the beach.
  • We have found that the "chair hog" rule that exists on the pool deck of the ship does not exist on Half Moon Cay. It is okay to stake out a chair for the day.
  • We have been there twice in February and found the water to be quite warm, but then again we are from New Hampsa where ocean water in the 60's in July is considered hot!
  • The sand is fine and soft and not rocky like Princess Cay.
  • Restrooms/changing rooms are clean and plentiful.
  • We found the cook-out/picnic to be more than adequate. I am not sure why folks complain unless they are expecting two inch steaks.
  • Use sunscreen, use sunscreen, use sunscreen!
  • There is a small strawmarket. There are no annoying vendors bothering you along the beach.
  • The only thing that we did not like was having to go back to the ship at the end of the day!

This was the last port after a 36 night cruise! We met lots of people on the cruise thru CC board and there was a group of 12 of us that booked the private cabana for the day! Best thing I've ever booked thru a cruise ship shore ex office! And best $100 I ever spent!

Our cabana came with a porter to help carry your bags, a private cook, a private bartender (all drinks incluede) Breakfast, lunch and snacks! Hot tub, a waterslide into the sea, a shower when you climb out! It was fantastic!

Nellie S -

We did the horseback riding excursion when we were there a few years ago. Neither of us ride horses and we loved it. You get some great views of the island, ship, and ocean from the trail. When you get to the beach, they take you out in the water a few at a time to wade/swim. You follow a lead horse and it's quite nice. I would have liked to have spent more time in the water. After the ride, we had plenty of time for the BBQ and sunning/swimming in the water.

• 1 year later...

I took the Holland America Snorkel excursion by boat on Half Moon Cay. They took us out to a reef away from the beach. The instructions were very clear. The equipment was top notch. The boat was large and comfortable. A Hal employee entered the water with a life saving device. He went where the people were and I felt very safe. The best part is yet to come, the coral was wonderful and there were hundreds of beautiful fish to see. I thought it was a wonderful excursion. I hope to book this excursion every time I visit Half Moon Cay.

HMC is our favorite private island! The beach is pristine, and there's plenty to do. On our last trip, we did the horseback riding excursion and absolutely loved every minute of it. When your horse gets in the water and starts to surge forward, and there's nothing in the world but you and your steed...well, it's an experience I'm glad we didn't miss! We think the BBQ is fine. Not gourmet, but it's a beach day. The BBQ sure beats lugging our own food to the beach. :) I agree with whoever said walk on the paved paths. We found them to be gorgeous. Lots of blooming shrubs and flowers. Enjoy!:)

Hi all, I would like to know everyones thoughts on the Chapel in Half Moon Cay Bahamas. Would you get married there? Is it private? Is the church scenic, clean, and ultimately worth marrying there? Pictures are welcomed and appreciated!

It's small and set back from the beach. Seems pretty private---and small. Not sure if you'd consider it scenic, but here are a couple pictures I took in Nov. 2012. With any bit of luck, these links will take you to them. I would think you could get some beautiful wedding pictures on Halfmoon Cay!

IMG_3082copy_zpsdd90af6e.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/slabeaume/IMG_3168copy_zps97cb45f8.jpg

I'm sorry, did I read that right -- "graves"? Did you mean "groves"? Or are there really graves on Princess Cay? Talk about an unusual shore excursion...

Yes, Princess Cay has two very old graves. No one really knows much about them. If you search Princess" forum you will see many posts over years, regarding the graves.

It is a great mystery.

• 4 years later...