Views from the star

RJAM3

Hi

Forgive me for bringing up what is probably an old subject but I read every thread I could find. I know they took out the front observation room and replaced with cabins. Going to Alaska and booked the Star with only a window view cabin. Last time I spent all my time in the Spinikar watching the bears. Is there another place on the ship that is inside that you can view the scenery? Thanks for your patience..appreciate any help!:):)

There is window seating in the buffet, endless summer, blue lagoon, red lion, window nooks on deck 6 (I think), and a covered glassed in area on the pool deck. There is probably more that I don't remember.

I liked the new layout of the Star.

J9

Thanks so much for your reply! The Star it is. Looking forward to Alaska in September. Usually book a balcony but the price difference was wow! Window was best I could do but you have put my mind at ease. Appreciate it!

We just got off the Star and that was probably our main disappointment. Sure you can go into the buffet or sit in a window seat but that is not what you are looking for. The first day out of LA and last day in were very crisp outside and it would have been nice to sit and enjoy the scenery from the type of lounge most ships have. Sadly the Star does not. The art and jewelry sellers took over the other common areas and people were huddled into closed buffets and window seats in the hallway- not exactly the cruising experience you expect.

We asked Ray the Cruise Director at the CC get together about it and he said passengers didn't want that anymore... poppycock- I think they will regret the decision.

I think the idea of suggesting that passengers take the seats in the buffet or other dining spots for lounging is poor, and one of the main causes for complaints about there not being enough tables for those who want to eat. It happens on every cruise, I believe, but that does not make it right. I guess it is the "indoor chair hog syndrome".

I feel that Alaska is best seen when outdoors...much better chance of catching the action not looking just straight out.....you should be prepared for not-so-warm weather and bring appropriate clothes...you will need them for excursions anyway. My wife and I did an Alaskan cruise on a ship where everyone was outside for viewing .... and, we are still here to talk about it

We asked Ray the Cruise Director at the CC get together about it and he said passengers didn't want that anymore... poppycock- I think they will regret the decision.

Well sounds more like bs to me. If they continue this trend on other ships, I'll change my avatar and it's bye bye NCL for me.

I read the this thread and almost posted after just reading part way. You said exactly what I was thinking (and I seldom eat in the buffet)

I think the idea of suggesting that passengers take the seats in the buffet or other dining spots for lounging is poor, and one of the main causes for complaints about there not being enough tables for those who want to eat. It happens on every cruise, I believe, but that does not make it right. I guess it is the "indoor chair hog syndrome".

Just in case they are reading the boards and thinking about doing the same on the Pearl, this passenger wants Spinnaker just the way it is!!!

Just in case they are reading the boards and thinking about doing the same on the Pearl, this passenger wants Spinnaker just the way it is!!!

If they do this on the Pearl I will cancel the canal cruise I have booked-- first it was on the Star--and I cancelled because of no Spinnaker Lounge up forward. I still believe this was a very poor decision by NCL--.

BG

Hi

Forgive me for bringing up what is probably an old subject but I read every thread I could find. I know they took out the front observation room and replaced with cabins. Going to Alaska and booked the Star with only a window view cabin. Last time I spent all my time in the Spinikar watching the bears. Is there another place on the ship that is inside that you can view the scenery? Thanks for your patience..appreciate any help!:):)

Not sure if this will work. But what if you bought a weekly spa pass? Wouldnt you then be able to sit on the loungers that over look the front of the ship?

Just an idea, not sure if it is good or not.

Not sure if this will work. But what if you bought a weekly spa pass? Wouldnt you then be able to sit on the loungers that over look the front of the ship?

Just an idea, not sure if it is good or not.

Not so good. :)

The spa on the Star is in the stern on deck 11 & 12 aft of the Market Cafe.

Not so good. :)

The spa on the Star is in the stern on deck 11 & 12 aft of the Market Cafe.

Actually I'm going to disagree... slightly.. lol.. I do think its not good that folks would have to purchase a spa pass just to have a nice quiet place to watch beautiful Alaska go by, but we have enjoyed having a suite on the Aft and loved seeing where we had been in Alaska as opposed to having a balcony forward and seeing where we were going.. 8-)

Anyview of Alaska is a good view.. and I am on the list that, although haven't been back on the Star since they moved Spinnakers.. agree it is a BAD idea and I feel they have, to a big degree.. ruined our beloved Star.

Actually I'm going to disagree... slightly.. lol.. I do think its not good that folks would have to purchase a spa pass just to have a nice quiet place to watch beautiful Alaska go by, but we have enjoyed having a suite on the Aft and loved seeing where we had been in Alaska as opposed to having a balcony forward and seeing where we were going.. 8-)

Anyview of Alaska is a good view.. and I am on the list that, although haven't been back on the Star since they moved Spinnakers.. agree it is a BAD idea and I feel they have, to a big degree.. ruined our beloved Star.

I agree with everything you said. We too have been in an aft AE deck 8 with wrap-around balcony...it's the best whatever the itinerary! I also cannot imagine an NCL ship without a forward facing Spinnaker's Lounge

I was only responding to CalifornaDreamer's comment about the "loungers that look over the front of the ship. :)

I agree with everything you said. We too have been in an aft AE deck 8 with wrap-around balcony...it's the best whatever the itinerary! I also cannot imagine an NCL ship without a forward facing Spinnaker's Lounge

I was only responding to CalifornaDreamer's comment about the "loungers that look over the front of the ship. :)

Oh I gotcha.. I just went back and re-read and see exactly what you were saying.. LOL.. Yeah.. we LOVE our AE on the Star.. our cruise this May we will be in an Owners Suite and it will be interesting for us who love the Aft to be Forward.

so you were saying they look out over the back of the ship?

that's a good view too.

so maybe still an ok idea?

i was on the Star back in 2005 and thought the loungers had a view. Just couldnt remember which direction i guess.

We asked Ray the Cruise Director at the CC get together about it and he said passengers didn't want that anymore...

Who in the world would say that they didn't want a forward observation lounge? Certainly wasn't something I'd agree with! :mad:

From what I've read it sounds like the Star has suddenly lost all appeal. If there's a similar itinerary at a similar price on another line we'll probably book that instead of the Star.

Too bad: until now I'd considered the Star to be my favourite ship. :(

Hi

You all have me wondering if I made the right decision going to Alaska on the Star! I do have a full window view...what do you think..big mistake? Thanks for everyone who has responded to my question!:confused:

Although it would be hard to have anything but a great time on an Alaska cruise - the thought of the Star without Spinnaker's is troubling to me. I've sailed her twice, once in Hawaii and once to Alaska. I spent the high speed run back and forth to Fanning Island in Spinnaker's, facing the bow, reading and watching the sea. Had the whole family with me to Alaska and we spent a lot of time in Spinnaker's. It was the perfect place for comfortable scenery watching, especially the view forward. Even when there was bingo or a dance lesson going on, there was always a comfy seat available with that great view. Have sailed several Princess, RCI and Carnival ships since - and I was recently commenting to my wife, you know what these ships are missing? A lounge like we enjoyed on the Star, at the bow, facing front. Thus my shock reading these posts...

Having got that off my chest, I'm sure I'd have a good time on the Star if I ever decided to cruise on her again. I'm just as sure the OP will have a great cruise, especially since it's hard to miss what you've never experienced.

NCL - You're a great cruise line, but please think carefully about your repeat customers if you're planning this change for the Dawn, or any of the newer, similar ships.

We sailed on the Star quite often in the last few years. The last time was on the Panama Canal cruise last November (no hot tubs the entire voyage, - one of those maintenance issues). We loved the ship, used to be our favorite in the fleet. We did have another Panama scheduled on the Star this year, we always book at least a cabin with a balcony, only what with renovations and not knowing what to expect we are instead going with another company. We feel the removal of the forward looking lounge is a mistake, even though most of NCL clients, according to NCL. did not use the Spinnaker lounge enough to make it worthwhile. If this is the trend throughout the fleet then we will more than likely chose another line.

Last year we sailed on the Pearl to Alaska and loved the spa package, great value for money, front facing hot tubs and sauna.

Archived