Dover to Heathrow - taxi

Cheryl's prices were not 50% more than the other companies I contacted. They were approximately 10GBP more. My main problem was when I asked on this board and the Oceania board if anyone had used some of these other companies, I had no repllies. I know there are lots of names out there and lots of different prices, but I feel more comfortable with the responses I did receive about Woodford.

Joan

Cheryl's prices were not 50% more than the other companies I contacted. They were approximately 10GBP more. My main problem was when I asked on this board and the Oceania board if anyone had used some of these other companies, I had no repllies. I know there are lots of names out there and lots of different prices, but I feel more comfortable with the responses I did receive about Woodford.

Joan

This has echoes of a similar discussion a week or so ago. We're not talking 10 GBP differences here we are talking 60/70 GBP differences on a 150 GBP fare with companies from the port destinations of Dover / Southampton that have proven reliable according a string of people on this board and are much lower cost than companies based in and around London.

See:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160818&page=3

Hi Joan - I have not been on this site for a while so I did not pick up your inquiry about the cab companies. I did contact several and I found

AirportTaxis-uk.com.uk and airportcruisetransfers.com to be the most reasonable. I eventually booked with airportcruisetransfers mostly becasue they were quick to respond and the woman emailing also called me direfctly to get my info. I did pay in advance by credit card, but that makes it less of a bother to have to carry British Pounds with me - just need enough for a tip and then head to the plane. I think I paid around 120 pounds (I spoke to Julie).

Now I am looking for a cab to pick us up at the airport in Amsterdam and take us the 12 miles to the Harbor. If you think the cabs want $$$$ from Dover to Heathrow - you should see the quotes I am getting for the short ride to the dock :eek:. I will most likely grab a cab outside the airport and negotiate, but I would much rather have someone waiting with my name on a sign.......oh well .......

Ronnie

Now I am looking for a cab to pick us up at the airport in Amsterdam and take us the 12 miles to the Harbor. If you think the cabs want $$$$ from Dover to Heathrow - you should see the quotes I am getting for the short ride to the dock :eek:. I will most likely grab a cab outside the airport and negotiate, but I would much rather have someone waiting with my name on a sign.......oh well .......

Ronnie

Trains from Schipol every few minutes, cheap (can't remember but pretty certain its well under €10), reliable, designed for luggage, take only a few minutes to Amsterdam central rail station, the cruise terminal is behind the rail station & easily walkable, but a bit of a hike with luggage so a short taxi hop or there may be a shuttle bus.

Acknowledged that some folk prefer private transfer rather than public transport, but if you take a train once in your life this is the time to do it.

JB

ps £120 Heathrow/Dover is reasonable - there'll be cheaper but not significantly, & £120 isn't like some of the rip-off prices that I've seen on this board

Thank you for the link handfordr. I guess I'm just very concerned about the service and reliability of companies since my previously mentioned no show in London. I still have a very long time until our cruise to recheck some companies and I do appreciate the information.

Joan

Trying to decide between National Express coach or train to Dover from London. Aside from cost (bus cheaper) time (train quicker) is one better than the other?

More interested to know from a sites along the route perspective and if kids would find one better than the other.

Trying to decide between National Express coach or train to Dover from London. Aside from cost (bus cheaper) time (train quicker) is one better than the other?

More interested to know from a sites along the route perspective and if kids would find one better than the other.

The only attraction of Coach is price, trains are faster, much more frequent, not prone to road congestion delays and you have much more room.

Coach has a formal luggage weight limit of 20kg (441bs) for any case, 2 per passenger, probably less than your flight allowance. There is no excess baggage capability.

Train is only limited to the amount of luggage you can carry around with you.

Archived