Dover to Heathrow - taxi

Has anyone used Dover Heritage Taxis (dovertaxis.com) for a transfer from London (city) to Dover? If so, do you recommend them? I'm primarily concerned that they are reliable. Thanks.

Dover Taxi Co has been around a long time & are reliable.

Just a smidgeon concerned that they have a new name, "Dover Heritage Taxis" & wonder whether this might be a way of extracting higher rates from "out-of-towners". But then I am a cynic :rolleyes:.

Reliability-wise I doubt you'll have grief.

Price-wise, compare their rates against those quoted on the websites of http://www.premiertaxisfolkestone.co.uk/ and

http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/fares.html

Folkestone is about 8 miles from Dover cruise term.

JB

The only thing that bothered me about Dover Taxi is that they want to be paid in full prior to the pick up and they don't except credit cardsl. I would have to get a bank check made out in pounds. Post plese if they give you different payment methodsa.Thanks.

Joan

The only thing that bothered me about Dover Taxi is that they want to be paid in full prior to the pick up and they don't except credit cardsl. I would have to get a bank check made out in pounds. Post plese if they give you different payment methodsa.Thanks.

Joan

I can understand the requirement for a non-local resident to pay in advance, it's something we see more & more in the UK & it's in line with many other western organisations. It's a desire to avoid no-show customers rather than a desire to disappear with your money.:)

But most organisations of this size, who actively seek international clients, will accept advance payment at least by Mastercard & Visa cards.

Requirement to pay in full in advance coupled with refusal to accept card payment will have a massive effect on such sales. Potential clients will see advance payment by other means as both inconvenient and risky, as Dover Heritage Taxis must surely be aware.

Which makes me wonder whether your information is correct, or perhaps there's been recent changes or circumstances which make them unacceptable to card companies :confused:

It's well worth double-checking with them.

I've quoted two other companies in the area. I have no experience or other info about either but both accept card payment.

Personally I wouldn't pay in advance, other than by card, unless a company had a rock-solid reputation.

JB

I did double check with them and they definitely want payment in advance and said that they are not equipted to take credit cards. I was ready to book with them but I can't take the chance that if I need to cancel I may not get my money back. Other companies will take a credit card and not charge on it unless you cancel at the last minute. I a

still looking for someone who has used Jeff at air connect. Anyone out there?

Joan

I checked and they do require payment in advance and by electronic transfer or a check in pounds. This is primarily an inconvenience (as JB pointed out) rather than an impossibility, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a company that accepts credit cards.

I will keep looking for transfer options.

I did double check with them and they definitely want payment in advance and said that they are not equipted to take credit cards. I was ready to book with them but I can't take the chance that if I need to cancel I may not get my money back. Other companies will take a credit card and not charge on it unless you cancel at the last minute. I a

still looking for someone who has used Jeff at air connect. Anyone out there?

Joan

You are quite right to question the practicality of paying cash in advance to a business you only know through cyberspace! Last summer, I obtained good info on CC regarding transportation from the Rome airport and to the Istanbul airport, before and after our cruise. I made arrangements via a 3rd party through Tripadvisor for transport to our Rome hotel...I DID NOT pay in advance. I communicated directly via email with the transport company a few days before our flight, to confirm our arrangement. The driver was a no show! Imagine if I had paid in advance. Another CC member and fellow cruiser made arrangements for 5 of us to share a taxi to the Istanbul airport since we were on the same early-morning flight. She also communicated directly with the taxi company to confirm our arrangements. The taxi driver was a no show! We scrambled at the last minute and made hasty arrangements to make our flight. Again, how unhappy I would have been if I had paid in advance:mad: The lesson(s) learned for me were 1) make reservations and secure with a credit card as needed, but don't ever pay in advance, and 2) if everything goes haywire (as in a no-show) you can always find alternate transportation as long as you have $$$.

Hi

Yes, you got it. You come through customs and then make your way to the tube where you pick up the Piccadilly Line (navy blue on the underground map). You get off it at the station marked Kings Cross/St Pancras and then walk about 5 mins, all indoors to the St Pancras domestic high speed service.

The tubes run all day at 5 or 10 minute intervals. The high speed train from St Pancras runs approximately every 30 mins throughout the day and is pretty fast :-)

You'll be fine to pay with all the tickets by credit card. You won't need cash.

If you want to check exact train timings, you can check www.nationalrail.co.uk and put in the day etc. and it will give you all the timings.

I hope this helps.

I am at this moment stranded in your gorgeous California with a cancelled flight tomorrow, and no indication of how many days it will take to be able to get a flight home. Bad luck eh... stranded in San Diego lol :D

Thanks for the info. I've printed it and it's in my "cruise folder". Oh, Bsquare12, I am so sorry to learn of the ruined ending to your vacation. I had no idea you were here (in southern California!) when you replied to my questions. I saw all the many bits of advice on another thread that other CC members have given you regarding what to do with your rental car, what to see, etc. while you are stuck here due to the volcano. The bad weather predicted for So Cal today has evaporated, and it is a perfectly beautiful day. I hope you found something fun to do. If you are still in San Diego, a favorite spot of mine to visit is Old Town. And the best place to eat (in my humble opinion) is the Old Town Mexican Cafe. The tortillas are made right there, and you eat them hot off the grill. Get the guacamole and a margarita, and savor the moment! And if you need suggestions on what else to do, I'd be more than happy to help you. I've lived here all my life...there's so much more to do here than just see Disneyland:)

Hi

Yes, you got it. You come through customs and then make your way to the tube where you pick up the Piccadilly Line (navy blue on the underground map). You get off it at the station marked Kings Cross/St Pancras and then walk about 5 mins, all indoors to the St Pancras domestic high speed service.

The tubes run all day at 5 or 10 minute intervals. The high speed train from St Pancras runs approximately every 30 mins throughout the day and is pretty fast :-)

You'll be fine to pay with all the tickets by credit card. You won't need cash.

If you want to check exact train timings, you can check www.nationalrail.co.uk and put in the day etc. and it will give you all the timings.

OK, I think I am following this and thanks for the information. I see the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross/St. Pancras. I than visited the site for the national rail and it looks like a train leaves every 30 minutes for Dover and takes about an hours and 10 minutes to reach Dover. A few questions if I may:

1. I assume on the tube our luggage will just be there with us?

2. On the train is there luggage storage or do we just keep it by our seat?

3. Any advantage to first class over 2nd class.

4. This really seems to be a simple way to get to Dover, I am surprised to hear so many say how hard it is to get there.

I was a little surprised at the cost of the train, 31.70 pounds. I calculate the total cost for three of us at around 120 pounds, 12 for the tube, 96 for the train and 10 for the taxi to the ship....does that sound about right.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!!!!!!

Kirk

I think I found a way to reduce the price. The website for southeastern railway has a function to find the cheapest tickest between two points for the fast trains. I found that if I leave London on the 10:12 train and return from Dover on the 9:44 train, it cuts the cost of the train in half. This would make the round trip, counting taxi to/from port, fast train to St Pancras and tube to Heathrow only about 149 pounds as the non-peak trains are almost half price :eek:.

Kirk

Thanks for the response but I think what I mapped out in my last post is almost exactly the same price (my 149 GBP is for three) and it appears to be just as fast with less connections. Now mine is only cheaper if you do non-peak. My tube ride is slower (1.5 hours) but I make up for it with a fast train (1.1 hours). I think given that we will have some luggage (one suitcase apiece), aren't we better off with the tube/fast train route?

Thanks,

Kirk

Thanks JB for the information about the other taxi companies. I've contacted them and here are the quotes for 2 people with 2 large suitcases and 2 small:

Premier: 100 pounds from London hotel to Dover; 108 from Dover to Heathrow. Upgrade to an E-class Merc for 10 pounds extra each way. 5% extra for credit card; no extra for debit card

Folkestone: 125 pounds from London to Dover plus 8 pounds congestion charge; Dover to Heathrow 130 pounds in an estate car. Their website says they take credit cards - not sure if there is a fee for using the card.

Dover Taxis: 310 pounds for both; do not take credit cards.

I think we will book with Premier. Has anyone used them for going to or from the cruise terminal?

Thanks, Jackie

Thanks JB for the information about the other taxi companies. I've contacted them and here are the quotes for 2 people with 2 large suitcases and 2 small:

Premier: 100 pounds from London hotel to Dover; 108 from Dover to Heathrow. Upgrade to an E-class Merc for 10 pounds extra each way. 5% extra for credit card; no extra for debit card

Folkestone: 125 pounds from London to Dover plus 8 pounds congestion charge; Dover to Heathrow 130 pounds in an estate car. Their website says they take credit cards - not sure if there is a fee for using the card.

Dover Taxis: 310 pounds for both; do not take credit cards.

I think we will book with Premier. Has anyone used them for going to or from the cruise terminal?

Thanks, Jackie

Sorry, don't know anything about either of these alternates, perhaps Beverley or someone else locally knows or can do some digging, but they're established companies. Nonetheless, with an unknown company in a foreign land its well worth paying the little extra for the safeguards of a credit card rather than a debit card.

Both are sensibly priced, both accept credit cards but yes, most organisations in the UK charge 3% to 5% for internet credit card sales.

I feel sure something is a-foot with Dover Taxis - the name-change, the price-hike, and no credit card bookings? :confused:

JB

After we go through Customs at Heathrow' date=' we find the tram that takes us to where we can get on the tube/Piccadilly Line to St Pancras, and then at St Pancras we can transfer to the high speed train to Dover?[/quote']When you exit from Customs, look for the signs for the Underground and walk to the station. You don't say who you're flying with, so I can't be more specific about this.

At Kings Cross St Pancras Tube station, there should be step-free access to street level from the platform - see this step-free access map. So this should actually be relatively straightforward if you can roll your luggage and lift it on and off the Tube trains.

... I would feel a lot more comfortable with a company that accepts credit cards.
In the UK, I simply would not do business with a company that does accept cards unless it has a high public profile and good reputation and there is a good reason for it not taking cards.

We are a very "plastic money" society here, and it is very unusual indeed for a serious business not to take cards.

In the UK, I simply would not do business with a company that does accept cards unless it has a high public profile and good reputation and there is a good reason for it not taking cards.

We are a very "plastic money" society here, and it is very unusual indeed for a serious business not to take cards.

Unfortunately a lot of the private car companies use credit cards as a 'hidden extra'.

In this day and age where marketing people of airlines, hire cars, hotels, insurance etc seem to think perhaps for good reason that the travelling public is highly gullible and will bite 9 times out of 10 at the lowest advertised price.

Its quite normal for private car services to add up to 5% to the quoted price for paying by credit card, the advertised price being for cash.

With waiting time at airports and car parking charges are other favourites.

As ever nowadays unless you spend time full reading the small print and researching you often end up paying more than you thought.

As far as looking for taxis for between london and dover and vise-versa, I was referred to a web-site called "www.quotemetaxi.com". I used this and got 4 Quotes from different companies with the lowest being 100 british pounds and the highest being 120 british pounds.... I would suggest giving this web-site a try

As far as looking for taxis for between london and dover and vise-versa, I was referred to a web-site called "www.quotemetaxi.com". I used this and got 4 Quotes from different companies with the lowest being 100 british pounds and the highest being 120 british pounds.... I would suggest giving this web-site a try

Wow, that seems like a really good price. Thanks for the website.

Kirk

We booked with Cheryl at Woodward Chauffer Co. Her prices were a little higher and she does charge 5% extra for credit card use. Posts about her have stressed the reliability of the company and after having a no show driver on our last trip to London that was the most important thing to me.

Joan

Unfortunately a lot of the private car companies use credit cards as a 'hidden extra'.

Its quite normal for private car services to add up to 5% to the quoted price for paying by credit card, the advertised price being for cash.

I agree that this is common, but my alarm bells would ring particularly loudly if a company that tries to do business remotely will not accept cards at all.

We booked with Cheryl at Woodward Chauffer Co. Her prices were a little higher and she does charge 5% extra for credit card use. Posts about her have stressed the reliability of the company and after having a no show driver on our last trip to London that was the most important thing to me.

Joan

Woodford Cars are good company by all accounts but on this board they have been compromised a bit by a few over eager respondents who were so over the top we thought they were masquerading employees or on incentives to post glowing reviews every other day, some of the posts being very misleading.

The general consensus i think is they are a good company with top of the range rates, seemingly 50% more than alternatives that other people have found to be just as reliable.

Archived