Door decorations on NCL??

NMLady

Nope. Just a regular group of passengers.

But if you've read a lot of comments on CC you can get the idea that even adults might write inappropriate comments.

Sadly yes, some of the posts seem to have forgotten that the spirit of the boards is to share fun experiences, and to make suggestions for to make the experience better for other cruisers.

I wonder if anyone else has had bad experiences with putting note pads or other decorations on their doors?

I wonder if anyone else has had bad experiences with putting note pads or other decorations on their doors?

I had a mini dry-erase board on my door half way through my Disney cruise and no one touched it.

But I have heard countless stories on the Disney boards of people who had their dry-erase boards or notepads vandalized. I personally would not use it as an essential way of communication with others (like your kids) because you never know who will erase or toss your message.

My friends did that on another cruise line and took it down after the 2nd day because of insults and obscenities that passers-by wrote on it.

We had a dry erase board on our door the entire cruise. My friend made a lovely picture on it with a speech bubble that anyone could write in. Some fun obscenities from a group of teens, but nobody every messed with or erased the picture. We had some nice convos with our many different mystery friends, and just erased the bad stuff.

If you dont mind the occasional obscenities then the dry erase board is the way to go. Made our room easier to find, and it was always fun to come back to see if we had any new messages.

We've used the UK vistaprint for T shirts before, for a friend's 40th birthday party, they weren't any more expensive than buying a plain T shirt.

Have people who cruised before noticed families wearing themed T shirts, like some families do in Disneyworld?

I thought it might be a nice thing to do since it's our very first cruise, and it's for my 40th birthday...:D

Like OceanDreaming2, I've received a letter as the CC organizer from the group services coordinator saying no signs permitted. However, when I inquired (because I have a nice laminated CC sign), I was told it's because of people using tape on the doors and that it would be OK as long as one uses magnets.

Like others, I've had magnets "taken" - so now I use generic ones that vendors give out. Nobody seems interested in the local library's magnetic card.;)

Have never had my CC sign taken down (it was a gift from a roll call friend years ago who downloaded a template off of this site somewhere). One cruise, however, I got a handwritten note from a lady two doors down who wanted to know how we got the "free" cabin by being a cruise critic! Wrote her back that we paid our fare just like everyone else but love CC for info and reviews. Never did hear back from her.;):rolleyes::)

My father will be celebrating his 90th birthday on NCL Star this summer and now you've gotten me thinking about a door sign to make it easier for him to find his cabin.;):D

Edited by snorklin'barb

We've used the UK vistaprint for T shirts before, for a friend's 40th birthday party, they weren't any more expensive than buying a plain T shirt.

Have people who cruised before noticed families wearing themed T shirts, like some families do in Disneyworld?

I thought it might be a nice thing to do since it's our very first cruise, and it's for my 40th birthday...:D

I made t-shirts for my Disney and Royal Caribbean cruises and most of the people on our roll call wore them to the Meet & Mingle! It was great to see everyone wearing the shirts. We got lots of comments from other cruisers on where they could get shirt. I already made shirt for my upcoming Princess Alaska cruise for DH and I but I'm not sure if people on the roll call will participate since it's pretty inactive. But I still plan on doing it again for the NCL Hawaii cruise too!

Anyway, do whatever you want! I think it'd be great for your family to wear the shirts!

Have never had my CC sign taken down (it was a gift from a roll call friend years ago who downloaded a template off of this site somewhere). One cruise' date=' however, I got a handwritten note from a lady two doors down who wanted to know how we got the "free" cabin by being a cruise critic! Wrote her back that we paid our fare just like everyone else but love CC for info and reviews. Never did hear back from her.;):rolleyes::)

[/quote']

I have people ask how I got the cruise line to decorate the door for me!! LOL! I just said that I did it myself and they were like "oh."

I made t-shirts for my Disney and Royal Caribbean cruises and most of the people on our roll call wore them to the Meet & Mingle! It was great to see everyone wearing the shirts. ..

One of our Roll Call members for our Dover to Dover Northern Europe cruise leg made items at CafePress.com for us to purchase if we desired. I've gotten a hooded sweatshirt for DH as well as a sweatshirt, totebag, and coffee mug for me. It has our slogan and map of our ports. Really nice.

For the ta leg of the cruise a Roll Call member made transfers we can purchase at cost showing the ship and group name. Nice.

Those cruises are still six months off whereas our Alaska cruise Roll Call hasn't done anything like that. No tours organized, just the Meet n Greet.

Neither Roll Call is interested in door signs.

Roll Calls sure vary in activity.

One of our Roll Call members for our Dover to Dover Northern Europe cruise leg made items at CafePress.com for us to purchase if we desired. I've gotten a hooded sweatshirt for DH as well as a sweatshirt, totebag, and coffee mug for me. It has our slogan and map of our ports. Really nice.

For the ta leg of the cruise a Roll Call member made transfers we can purchase at cost showing the ship and group name. Nice.

Those cruises are still six months off whereas our Alaska cruise Roll Call hasn't done anything like that. No tours organized, just the Meet n Greet.

Neither Roll Call is interested in door signs.

I agree. The roll calls due vary! I suggested we schedule a Meet and Greet for my Alaska cruise and haven't gotten anyone to say they'd like to come. :(

A couple of thoughts about the above posts:

1. It is unusual for a cabin steward to remove your door sign (especially if you've tipped them right off the bat;))

2. It is highly likely that if your door decorations are attractive they will be removed by fellow pax.

3. Cheaper even than Vista Print is to design your own sign using Microsoft Word or Publisher and then buy the sticky magnets at the local craft store. They cost about 30 cents.

4. Dry Erase boards are the most fun (I always find the magnetic ones at the dollar store) but do NOT do this if you have kids cruising with you. On both Carnival and NCL I have come back to my cabin, or woken up in the a.m., with the most "interesting" and "vulgar" messages, offers and suggestions. Some of them even with descriptive pictures! :eek:

5. If your roll call is a sleeper, elect yourself head cheerleader and spur everyone into action by posting again and again ad nauseum. Eventually, someone else will get "on board" (pun intended:p )

Have fun on your cruise!

yeah!! WE ROCK!!!! :D:D:D:D GO DOTS!!! (Dover Orlando Transatlantic on the Sun) hehehe ;)

No need for cheerleading here....

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, especially the recommendation to use VistaPrint.com!

I have ordered a personalized magnetic sign for our door for an upcoming cruise. It will be fun to have a way to easily find our cabin. Since the sign is personalized for us I don't suppose it will be tremendously attractive to other people, so hopefully won't be touched!

I can see where the cruise line would not want tape on the doors, but hopefully magnets will work OK.

I'm soo excited! My door magnet came today and it looks great. I can't wait for October to get here, I'm getting a ton of stuff in a box ready to pack. I wonder if I'll need my super-large suitcase now.... :confused:

I'm glad you're pleased with your magnet. We'll be on the Sun for 33 days, going from the cold of Iceland on the first leg, across the Atlantic, to the heat & humidity of the Caribbean so packing will be a really challenge.

I plan on layering for the colder weather, using just one layer for the warmer, and using the ship's laundry. So I'll be taking mostly items that are durable and can be washed in HOT water.

I'm looking forward to seeing your door decoration.

It's the Small Car Magnet. But "small" is misleading. It's about the size of a sheet of paper. The large car magnets are never free.

It is a LOT bigger than a fridge magnet! Look under the business section on vista print and always check the FREE tab as well. I am contemplating a rubber stamp.....

Our current sign (which is reusable) says Cruising from the port of XXXXX, NM with our names. The artwork is a silhouette of a ship at sunset.

Many people on our current roll call have ordered magnetic door signs from VistaPrint.com - I think we are keeping them in business. ;) And their prices can't be beat (free). :D

Where did you find the ship with the silhouette? I went to their site, but I can't find a free sign like that. I did find one with a palm tree, though, but not enough space to put what I want on it.

Where did you find the ship with the silhouette? I went to their site, but I can't find a free sign like that. I did find one with a palm tree, though, but not enough space to put what I want on it.

Ohh I didn't see that one either, perphaps it isn't under the free designs. Mine turned out well, I managed to get a lot written on it, you're not just limited to the line/space that shows on the screen. You can keep typing and see how it all fits.

What a great idea...I never would have thought about putting up magnets! I am ordering mine right now! Thanks for the great tip I hope it does not get taken down...although it really sounds like a steward or ship management thing, but here’s to crossed fingers! And a great souvenir!

We had a notice from the Group Coordinator on the Star that door decorations were not allowed - but we had a magnetic sign on our door for all 13 days.

Our current sign (which is reusable) says Cruising from the port of XXXXX, NM with our names. The artwork is a silhouette of a ship at sunset.

Many people on our current roll call have ordered magnetic door signs from VistaPrint.com - I think we are keeping them in business. ;) And their prices can't be beat (free). :D

That was a great tip about Vistaprint.com. Orderd our door sign..looks awesome and very neat so it should not be an issue. Free is always nice. Just pay the lowest form of shipping. It said it would take 21 days. Had it in days. ;)

That was a great tip about Vistaprint.com. Orderd our door sign..looks awesome and very neat so it should not be an issue. Free is always nice. Just pay the lowest form of shipping. It said it would take 21 days. Had it in days. ;)

Over the past few years I've ordered a lot of the 'free' (just pay s/h) items from vistaprint.com and even though the cheapest shipping says 21 days I've always had my order in about 7 business days, sometimes quicker. Lots of times delivery has been by FedEx ground. Fantastic service, especially for such a cheap price. My 'car' door magnet for this cruise was less than $5 for the s/h. Well worth it!