Door decorations on NCL??

NMLady

Thanks NMlady for posting this thread, I guess I'll try decorating and just see what happens. Now, is VistaPrint a website and do they design magnetic signs or do you make up your own and they print it for you??

Geez I feel like such a newbie!

Well, imagine meeting you here. :D Vistaprint.com is a site primarily for businesses. It has postcards, signs, labels, business cards etc. If you sign up for their email you'll get lots of emails for FREE items (you just pay a nominal shipping charge -- my magnetic sign is only $4.81 for s/h.)

You can choose from their templates and put in your own words or you can upload your own designs or photos. I think there's an additional fee if you use your own photos. I'm not artistic so I just use their templates, putting in my words.

I do a lot of sweepstake mail entries and many of them ask for postcards rather than envelopes with 3x5 cards/papers. So, lots of times I've gotten 100 'free' postcards (design must be the same on all 100). It really helps my budget. So, when I wanted a sign for my door I thought of VistaPrint right away and when they had another of their email offers with free magnetic signs I jumped at the opportunity.

Just don't sign up for the '$10 off your next order' after you've finished ordering. That isn't really a VistaPrint thing but one of those ads that will charge your credit card a monthly fee, so just close that window once your order in the other window is complete.

See you onboard. I'll be watching for your sign. :)

Edited by NMLady

I bought magnetic sheets for the computer printer and printed a sign with my parents' wedding picture and one from the day we surprised them with the cruise tickets. I had their names and 65th anniversary celebration printed beside the pictures. I also put a pad of heart-shaped sticky notes and a pen hanging from some yarn beside it. Lots of people wrote them sweet congratulatory notes. Even the captain came by and wrote them a note! They were thrilled! My dad was a navy "flyboy" during WW II. Having the captain of a ship write a personal note was more special to him than you can imagine. It will forever be a treasured memory. So my advice is to make your signs and memories while you can. Happy cruising!!;) Debbie

Oh, wow, how special to have a note from the captain. My hubby would be over the moon if he ever got that. No wonder your parents, especially your Dad, were thrilled.

like LAMBS2 i made a magnet for our door on the sailing she was on...but forgot it...my door decor consists of a little faux-flower wrist lei to wrap around the handle...HELPs me find my way....this last cruise it disappeared

1/2 way thru but i had another...i will just stick with my 'handle wrap':)

Magnet theft is very depressing but does happen. :(

I add our names to all our magnets to deter thieves.

I bought magnetic sheets for the computer printer and printed a sign with my parents' wedding picture and one from the day we surprised them with the cruise tickets. I had their names and 65th anniversary celebration printed beside the pictures. I also put a pad of heart-shaped sticky notes and a pen hanging from some yarn beside it. Lots of people wrote them sweet congratulatory notes. Even the captain came by and wrote them a note! They were thrilled! My dad was a navy "flyboy" during WW II. Having the captain of a ship write a personal note was more special to him than you can imagine. It will forever be a treasured memory. So my advice is to make your signs and memories while you can. Happy cruising!!;) Debbie

What a wonderful story! You did a beautiful thing for your parents and I love that the captain wrote them a note!! So special!!

....Many people on our current roll call have ordered magnetic door signs from VistaPrint.com - I think we are keeping them in business. ;) And their prices can't be beat (free). :D

I went to VistaPrint's website but the only magnets I saw were business card ones. When I clicked on magnets it showed (1), so it appeared that the business card margets were it. How do you order signs? I'd love to order door decorations for an upcoming family/friends cruise. Thanks.

Edited by LynneL

I went to VistaPrint's website but the only magnets I saw were business card ones. When I clicked on magnets it showed (1), so it appeared that the business card margets were it. How do you order signs? I'd love to order door decorations for an upcoming family/friends cruise. Thanks.

On the home page, go to CAR DOOR MAGNETS, they are $9.99 & $19.99... Or you can click on specials and then FREE and they will come up . Good Luck!

Edited by NEcruisers????
additional information.

On my Vistaprints.com page the car door magnet is under the FREE items drop down menu! (you pay shipping and handling). I got a *free* one for our last cruise personalized with just what I wanted.

At the VistaPrint.com site choose car door magnets. Then choose a template from one of the many, many template designs. Then put the words you wish on it. That's what I did.

It's true that the car door magnets are primarily for businesses, but it's quite easy to adapt a template to what you wish it for.

Bunch of cruise line Martha Stewart weirdo's. :)

I don't think the insult of calling us weirdo's is necessary simply because we like to be able to easily and quickly identify which of many cabin doors is ours.

Edited by NMLady

On some cruises we have hung a cruise critic sign on the door with a magnet and never had a problem. On our last cruise I always knew which way to turn on our deck when I saw the cabin with the Saints Championship Magnet (a big one). The only problem was the last night they packed the magnet and I didn't know which way to go. ;)

Wheee! I sat for 3 hours with a SLOW internet connection and designed my car door magnet!! Not quite so topical as the Goddess's but it will do fine. NMLady, I hope you manage to mosey on down our hallway and have a look at it. :D Now, I only wish vistaprint did printed buttons, because I have a function where I need them made but didn't want to pay a lot. Oh well.

I never thought about decorating the door but did wonder how in the world to easily find our door if we went on a cruise.

Went to Vistaprint and made a mock up of one. Used the same template as the one's we had on our car doors on our honeymoon.

Thanks for the idea.

Wheee! I sat for 3 hours with a SLOW internet connection and designed my car door magnet!! Not quite so topical as the Goddess's but it will do fine. NMLady, I hope you manage to mosey on down our hallway and have a look at it. :D Now, I only wish vistaprint did printed buttons, because I have a function where I need them made but didn't want to pay a lot. Oh well.

For buttons, try Cafe Press:

http://www.cafepress.com

It's free to open your own store and you get a discount for buying from your own store. You can buy the buttons in bulk. You can see the ones I made for our Alaska cruise here:

http://www.cafepress.com/alaskajuly2010#link-productCategory-102

Hope that helps!

I know what you mean about a slow internet connection. We're in a rural area and when we had dial-up it only connected at 28k bps, really slow.

Then we switched to Verizon Wireless Broadband when it was available in our area. What a difference. Much faster!

Now we have an updated modem and network AirLink software so we usually use WiFi through our Verizon account. It's even faster! Plus I no longer have to share internet time with hubby. We can both be on our computers on the internet at the same time.

I'll be sure to 'mosey on down' your hallway to take a look at your sign. You be sure to look at ours as well. It arrived yesterday in the mail and I'm really pleased with it. I just hope that our cabin steward leaves it on the door. Based on the posts in this thread it seems to be mostly the cabin stewards who either take the signs down or leave them up.

Edited by NMLady

We've put door magnets and decorations on our doors, and not had a problem with NCL.

My friends bring a notepad, with a magnetic backing, and also a pen on a string which they have on the door. If you want to leave them a message you just write it on the pad. Works great!

We've put door magnets and decorations on our doors, and not had a problem with NCL.

My friends bring a notepad, with a magnetic backing, and also a pen on a string which they have on the door. If you want to leave them a message you just write it on the pad. Works great!

My friends did that on another cruise line and took it down after the 2nd day because of insults and obscenities that passers-by wrote on it.

My friends did that on another cruise line and took it down after the 2nd day because of insults and obscenities that passers-by wrote on it.

How horrible! My friends have done this on NCL and on Disney and have not had any problems so far. Youu'd like to think that people going on a cruise would not be that type of person, but perhaps that is naive. :mad:

Now we have an updated modem and network AirLink software so we usually use WiFi through our Verizon account. It's even faster! Plus I no longer have to share internet time with hubby. We can both be on our computers on the internet at the same time.

You have mail NMLady!

Was it a cruise filled with juvenile college kids?

Nope. Just a regular group of passengers.

But if you've read a lot of comments on CC you can get the idea that even adults might write inappropriate comments.