Handicapped Transportation in PV

vtwgalmm

I actually have 2 questions. One is PV a port where you have to be tendered in and also is any of the transportation from the dock suitable for a handicapped person (scooter)? Thanks in advance for any information on this.:)

I actually have 2 questions. One is PV a port where you have to be tendered in and also is any of the transportation from the dock suitable for a handicapped person (scooter)? Thanks in advance for any information on this.:)

Vallarta is normally a "dock" port. Once in a while, when there are three ships in port, the third ship (often NCL's Star) will tender.

People with mobility issues always have a hard time in most Mexican ports and Vallarta is one of the worst. I can't say I have ever seen a van/taxi that is equipped to handle a scooter. Most city taxis are small 4-door sedans and they are the only taxis that are authorized to pick up passengers outside the port.

The real problem isn't ground transportation. Even if you did have a handicap van for your scooter bound person, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to travel anywhere on that scooter outside the vehicle. Curbs are high, sidewalks narrow & uneven. Most streets are cobblestone or uneven surfaces. There are ramps along the Malecon and you might be able to navigate off the Malecon at city hall but rarely anywhere else. Surfaces that we would consider as "ADA compliant" can be found where damage from Hurricane Kenna (2002) was repaired, as well as new construction in the last decade, but that is about it.

Good luck ...

PV is extremely tourist oriented, and the Cruise terminal is well equipped. There are likely the best services for the handicapped in all of the Mexican Riviera in PV. PV cruise terminal below. Notice the vans for rent. More than any other port in the MR.

IMG_9286-1.jpg

We live two months a year in the South Side of PV so I guess we have a good feel for the city. PV would probably qualify as one of the least friendly cities in the world for someone with mobility issues. It would be impossible to use a scooter on almost any street in the city because they have very high sidewalks with few ramps, and very uneven pavement. About the only place that would be scooter-friendly would be the Malecon. The Malecon has a good ramp at the southend which starts from a sidestreet that would work for a van. But this would have you confined to this single street (its actually a seawall).

Hank

We live two months a year in the South Side of PV so I guess we have a good feel for the city. PV would probably qualify as one of the least friendly cities in the world for someone with mobility issues. It would be impossible to use a scooter on almost any street in the city because they have very high sidewalks with few ramps, and very uneven pavement. About the only place that would be scooter-friendly would be the Malecon. The Malecon has a good ramp at the southend which starts from a sidestreet that would work for a van. But this would have you confined to this single street (its actually a seawall).

Hank

My thoughts exactly and I agree with MSN Traveller too .....I could not imagine trying to use a scooter on the streets of PV, we are not quite as lucky as Hank and his wife about spending 2 months a year in PV but we do try to spend a lot of time in PV and one day will buy a house there for semi retirement :)

It is sometimes hard enough just walking and not tripping over cracks or uneven sidewalks, I couldn't imagine using a scooter. The Malecon is your best bet but you are across the street from all stores.

As for the vans posted in the picture.....wouldn't bet money that they are handicap friendly...meaning they wouldn't have the equipment to load and unload scooters.

Archived