Just me and my daughter...DHs approval?

sunflower girl

My TA's general literature says I need a paper signed by my DH and notorized for me to take my daughter on a cruise without him. Disney jsut askes if I am her legal guardian or parent.

I am wondering if anyone else has taken their child(ren) without Hubby and needed paperwork or not?

thank you!

Might be better to check Cruise Critic Message Boards > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

I read a couple threads about this over there. I think it will come down to it wouldn't hurt in case the unexpected happens. You will be in foreign countries. It's always better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

DH stands for Darling Husband and is commonly used on message boards as a short form for Husband. Also DW = Wife, DS = Son, DD = Daughter.
The "D" is context sensitive. While often standing for "dear" is can often mean something else. For example:

We got the the port early, expecting to enjoy a leisurely first day strolling around the near empty ship. Unfortunately, my DH left the paperwork back in our hotel and we had to spend the whole day rushing around and barely made it on the ship before it left port.

About 2 years ago we went on a Princess cruise and it was kind of a big deal - I didn't have anything from my husband, and before they let us board they had to call my husband and get a verbal ok.

It added a little bit of stress to our trip. Go get the notarized paper and then you will have no worries (it's also good to have on the plane with you).

About 2 years ago we went on a Princess cruise and it was kind of a big deal - I didn't have anything from my husband, and before they let us board they had to call my husband and get a verbal ok.

It added a little bit of stress to our trip. Go get the notarized paper and then you will have no worries (it's also good to have on the plane with you).

I've travelled to Disney on Southwest multiple times and cruised on DCL without anything....noone even mentioned that....Glad it was not a problem. Wierd though that it was never brought up??

K

I would bring something notarized - DCL may not care, but customs may give you a hard time - I took my boys up to visit my mom in Buffalo & we wanted to walk over the Peace bridge to Canada (I brought their passports & we thought it would be fun) but the border guard asked if I had permission from my husband to take them into another country. Needless to say I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I always travel alone with my children and always carry a notorized letter from my husband saying it is o.k. to take them out of the country. I have never been asked for it yet. 50+ cruises later.

I feel better having it. One time I don't, they will ask.

Dawn

My DD and I cruise everytime without DH since he hates cruising. I have never been asked about her and I traveling together. I just give them her passport. Since DH had to sign to get the passport, I guess that is giving his permisssion enough :)

The reason this is recommended has largely to do with custody disputes. All it takes is for one parent to report that they think the other is sneaking out of the country with their child to cause your trip to be abruptly canceled. If you have a letter showing the other parent is aware of the trip and have approved it, those sort of things are prevented.

Archived