Antarctic Drive By & SA on Infinity

floridatravelersforlife

For those who are curious or want to make a decision on what type of sailing to take to Antarctica, here is my video of our drive by.

I'm not taking sides, expeditions vs drive bys each have their place. It's the individual's decision, just enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1173910

If I might make a 4 suggestions on shooting videos -

1) keep your camera steady

2) zoom slowly or not at all

3) pan slowly or not at all

4) make each shot long enough so that the viewer has the opportunity to see the shots.

I did a landing trip and personally feel that doing a cruise by is the equivalent of doing a trip to Australia w/o ever stopping at any port. However I do recognize that the choice between the 2 types of trips is affected by your level of acceptable adventure and certainly by the cost.

DON

Interesting video - a bit too fast moving for me - eyes had no time to focus on anything.

Have to agree with Don - dont really understand the concept of "drive by" cruises :confused:

But yes its a choice by each.

And for now the nice cold footage is all I have till November !!

I'm not a professional videotographer nor do I want to be. I took videos in between still photos and that's what I got. I jammed what I could into the 10 min youtube slot for the benefit of others who might be interested in a drive by. I was not going for an Oscar.

Sorry if it is too fast for you, but for the ADD and ADHD types and those that thrive on speed, it seems to be ok. Points taken, though. I did take 2000 12 mp stills with a 400-800mm zoom that distilled into about twenty wall worthy shots, which is about right for me.

With regards to drive by vs expedition voyage, passengers from the equivalent of 15- 25 expedition ships took the big ship election for this one cruise. Many I met on board could afford the expedition trip without a flinch or assistance from a tax writeoff, but for various reasons such as health, preference or whatever they decided on the drive by. That's their choice.

I gave up, a long time ago, wondering why people take actions or make decisions vs a vs my decisions. That's fruitless. I participate in CC to return the benefit others on this board have given me.

I hope that explains it and thanks for the time spent writing your responses.

2000 stills !!!!!!!

I cant imagine how many I will take on my 27 day one in Nov - I am running out to invest in much bigger SD cards as we speak !!!!

I fully appreciate that you were jamming a whole lot into the 10 minutes - and you did well - I have never yet successfully uploaded any thing to You Tube as it always crashes on me.

It was more the constant movement that made it a difficult watch for me (apparently I dont have ADD LOL !!).

Thanks for posting your video. I'll be doing one of the last drive-bys on HAL next January and I'm very happy with my choice. Apart from disliking the cold so doing landings doesn't bother me, I'll be able to afford a second overseas trip next year. To me a win-win situation.

Here are some of the principles I use:

1. You Tube limits you to 10 minutes, but it allows up to 1 GB per video. I break my cruise into multiple segments - one per port and try to create a HD video.
  2. Vimeo allows a longer video (I have done 67 minutes) but restricts you to 500MB. I can do longer videos of lower quality.
  3. Pictures can often be viewed as animated videos with music. I use the free Windows Live Movie Maker to create videos using my pictures and sometimes a few video clips.

I always wanted to post some pix, but I have hesistated due to piracy of photos. I'll conjure up some watermarks and post them up when I get back from overseas.

Off topic but I heard drive by cruises days may be numbered. Glad we went.

Some of the speakers on our cruise also mentioned that the drive by were dangerous - the damage that a big ship can cause the environment and the lack of infrastructure to help and rescue a ship with 2000 passengers if it runs aground etc. clearly the operators of small ships are not entirely unbiased.

2000 stills !!!!!!!

I cant imagine how many I will take on my 27 day one in Nov - I am running out to invest in much bigger SD cards as we speak !!!!

I fully appreciate that you were jamming a whole lot into the 10 minutes - and you did well - I have never yet successfully uploaded any thing to You Tube as it always crashes on me.

It was more the constant movement that made it a difficult watch for me (apparently I dont have ADD LOL !!).

On my trip to Antarctica, some days I took 500 - 1000 pictures per day. Compare that to Ansel Adams who hiked into the back country with a view camera and 12 plates.

DON

On my trip to Antarctica, some days I took 500 - 1000 pictures per day. Compare that to Ansel Adams who hiked into the back country with a view camera and 12 plates.

DON

We easily filled up a 8GB card each day or each excursion. That is easy to do esp if you store JPEG and RAW. We had a laptop and a 320GB portable USB drive to back up the photos to each day.

DON

LOL I am comparing it to poor Frank Hurley who lugged his massive camera equipment around for 2 years with Shackleton !!!

I take 500 photos at a single concert these days so I am definitely preparing myself for serious filling of big cards.

Dileep yes I am taking a netbook and 2 external drives (one for real and one for back up spare) and plan to download multiple times per day to avoid having anything on the card that can be lost.

As my camera also does HD widescreen video I am thinking 16gig cards in multiples would avoid any "running out".

Off topic but I heard drive by cruises days may be numbered. Glad we went.

Starting August 2011, most large cruise ships will no longer be regulated to sail Antarctic waters.

According to a report by USA Today, cruise ships carrying more than 500 passengers will no longer be able to sail in Antarctica.

DON

I must have taken that many also. The bad news is that it has been 2 years since I returned from Antarctica & I am still editing pictures from the trip. I know I have way too many to show to anyone but when I look at a picture, I just can't make myself hit the delete button. The consequence is that no one has seen them except me - not even my wife. I think it would take her longer to look at them than the trip took!

I must have taken that many also. The bad news is that it has been 2 years since I returned from Antarctica & I am still editing pictures from the trip. I know I have way too many to show to anyone but when I look at a picture, I just can't make myself hit the delete button. The consequence is that no one has seen them except me - not even my wife. I think it would take her longer to look at them than the trip took!

Totally agree that it is not easy to delete anything! I have yet to see my wife's pictures almost 3 months after our return.

DON

But Ansel Adams in the 20's-30'-40's had months to prepare the shot. He stayed at a spot for weeks to find the right moment. No publisher today would pay for an Ansel Adams excursion, nor could Mr Adams afford to take that time. No question about it, he was brilliant. But capitalism has forced the world to be so productive that perfection is not tolerated.

Starting August 2011, most large cruise ships will no longer be regulated to sail Antarctic waters.

According to a report by USA Today, cruise ships carrying more than 500 passengers will no longer be able to sail in Antarctica.

According to the article, ships using heavy fuel oil (#6Bunker) are banned. I wonder how the Infinity would be classified since it burns JP8 Jet Fuel (Kerosene) It's engines are jet turbines. That fuel evaporates hence no enviromental damage (according to the IMO). :D

But then you have to buy into the IMO logic that a major accident will likely happen and it's better to have a small vessel founder then a big one, so let's ban the big ones and tolerate the issues of the small vessels.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a professional videotographer nor do I want to be. I took videos in between still photos and that's what I got. I jammed what I could into the 10 min youtube slot for the benefit of others who might be interested in a drive by. I was not going for an Oscar.

Sorry if it is too fast for you, but for the ADD and ADHD types and those that thrive on speed, it seems to be ok. Points taken, though. I did take 2000 12 mp stills with a 400-800mm zoom that distilled into about twenty wall worthy shots, which is about right for me.

With regards to drive by vs expedition voyage, passengers from the equivalent of 15- 25 expedition ships took the big ship election for this one cruise. Many I met on board could afford the expedition trip without a flinch or assistance from a tax writeoff, but for various reasons such as health, preference or whatever they decided on the drive by. That's their choice.

I gave up, a long time ago, wondering why people take actions or make decisions vs a vs my decisions. That's fruitless. I participate in CC to return the benefit others on this board have given me.

I hope that explains it and thanks for the time spent writing your responses.

Thanks for posting the video! My husband and I are thinking of a cruise to Antarctica this season 2010-2011 and we will be doing a drive-by if we go, so we found your video very helpful in making the decision. I don't even have ADD!

Drive by vs landing for us: I have health issues, and my husband doesn't like very cold weather, no doubt the result of a childhood in upstate New York. And for both of us, cost is an issue. We are not wealthy and we are still putting the youngest of our three kids through college. Drive by it is for us, as it is a fraction of the cost of the voyages with landings.

And for both of us, cost is an issue. We are not wealthy and we are still putting the youngest of our three kids through college. Drive by it is for us, as it is a fraction of the cost of the voyages with landings.

I would hate to be considered wealthy just because I choose to do a 30 day full expedition rather than a drive by (or a fly over as all my friends seem to think I am doing!!!). But I totally understand the budget decisions (especially doubling it when travelling as a couple etc - I only budget for one person).

I am in my early 40s and decided to do the once in a life time trip now before I get even less fit etc (when it gets harder to enjoy etc). I will be paying off the loan for the next 20 years on my solo wage while I also pay my mortgage - all on my low to mid salary.

I have no other vices so I guess this is one giant almighty vice !!:D

I would hate to be considered wealthy just because I choose to do a 30 day full expedition rather than a drive by (or a fly over as all my friends seem to think I am doing!!!). But I totally understand the budget decisions (especially doubling it when travelling as a couple etc - I only budget for one person).

I am in my early 40s and decided to do the once in a life time trip now before I get even less fit etc (when it gets harder to enjoy etc). I will be paying off the loan for the next 20 years on my solo wage while I also pay my mortgage - all on my low to mid salary.

I have no other vices so I guess this is one giant almighty vice !!:D

Agreed, you certainly don't have to be wealthy to do such a cruise, just careful with your budget. But I do think if one is going to be putting three kids through college, paying a mortgage and huge sums in medical bills, then paying $20,000 and up for a cruise for two requires at least "near wealth" in our book.

I think these definitely "once in a lifetime" trips will be well worth whatever sacrifices we make, and as vices go, travel is a pretty good one. :)

I don't want to get into anyone's choice as to whether to do a drive by cruise or an expedition cruise - some people don't wish to do the zodiacs and get off of the ship - but if you wish to do this and are only doing a drive by becaus of the cost differential then I hope this helps. We had initially booked a drive by cruise with a balcony room. We figured out the cost of the cruise plus the cost of of the excursions that we wanted to do. Then we figured out the extras that you need to include - tips, soda, wine, liquor. When we added up the total cost of the trip it really was not that much different than the expedition cruise which included everything. The airfare, hotel etc was identical so given the cost differential for us - we decided that it made sense to get an inexpensive room (no balcony) on an expedition cruise (we went on the PAII) where everything is included. We are not sorry that we chose this and for us it was truly the trip of a lifetime.

This year was a good year to visit Antarctica due to the deep discounting. We have been considering it for a while but the cost seemed a bit steep. Ours also eliminated the singles supplement too which allowed many singles to join us.

If you can financially and physically do a cruise that has landings, that is the preferred option. I would sacrifice other vacations to do Antarctica.

We also thought that visiting South Georgia was interesting too!

Food for thought - thanks for the comparison ideas. I will look again at the prices, but I'm recalling that the smaller ships with landings were more than twice as much per person (several thousand dollars), which is a pretty sizable differential. I think we have reservations about getting on and off the zodiacs as well as very cold weather, plus we like the idea of seeing Argentina, Uruguay and Chile as well, all in one 17 day (+ travel of course) trip.

I booked an ocean view cabin, though we usually book balconies. I was figuring it would be too cold for most of the trip to enjoy the balcony. Should I reconsider? That would certainly make the prices closer, as I think the smaller ships have more balcony cabins?

We are booked in an aft cabin on the promenade deck on the Veendam, which is about 1300 passengers, not one of the larger 2000+ pax ships. I was thinking we are a few steps from the outdoor deck - easy to go out on deck to view the icebergs, glaciers and wildlife, but also easy to retreat to where it is warmer..

Archived