Antarctic Drive By & SA on Infinity

floridatravelersforlife

It really depends on what you want to do. We had people in their 80's on our cruise who did the zodiacs just fine so to be frank I wouldn't think that is an issue. The staff helps you in and out and they are very into safety. Once you land you do not have to do the hikes but can just hang out and often times the zodiacs just do tours around the 'bergs' to get up even closer to see the wildlife, glaciers, etc. :) It is an experience that cannot be described and in my opinion cannot be replicated by doing a drive by cruise. You will not hear the popping sound of the ice, you will not get up to where you can reach out and just about touch the icebergs, wildlife etc. and you will not get to stand/sit next to a penguin and just watch for as long as you want. For us the question was what we wanted to see and though we could not afford to do some of the more expensive trips there were some that fit within out budget. Go to a few of the websites that do Antarctic trips to see the comparison. I know you cannot name travel agents but many agents will give you coupons for the trip so the actual cost is less than the discounted fares. If I was doing a drive by I would want a balcony because I would want to be able to see as much as I could all the time - you will just dress in layers - not heavy coats but lots of layers. In the small ships you don't need a balcony because you are really not in your room very much at all. If the ship sees something - you stop an announcement is made and everyone is out and on deck. The ship is not on any schedule so for example during dinner the ship stopped the dinner service when we spotted humpbacks who were breaching and we circled them for about 45 minutes with the cooks, waiters, passengers all running from side to side to see them. Then after the whales went away - we went back to dinner. You don't get this on a large ship. We even turned around sometimes if the expedition crew spotted something. So... again it is your choice. You only 'go around once' and my plan is to leave some great pictures for our children of every place we have been. I am sure whatever you decide will be right for you but as I said in my last post if it is only about the money then save up and do the expedition trip.

Thanks for the additional thoughts on comparison.

I have to admit that I have been confounded by the travel agent issue - how to find a good one, which one to pick. My first three cruises were charter cruises with Garrison Keillor and The Prairie Home Companion (Alaska, Norwegian Fjords, Western Caribbean) all on Holland America, and we had to use the one agency who arranged the charter. Otherwise, I travel independently and arrange my own travel, unless there is a very unusual itinerary. I buy my airline tickets at the airline website, and book my hotels at my favorite brand's website.

So when I thought of going to South America and Antarctica I thought of HAL, checked out what they had to offer, and booked the "drive-by" cruise.

I am thinking if we really enjoy it and wish we had booked an expedition cruise, we could save up for a while and take one of the smaller ships that will still be sailing then. Looks like the bigger ships with the drive-by's are unlikely to be doing those in the future.

I guess to some extent, this is something I can't fully appreciate until I am really there. After all, I never thought I would like cruising at all. We took the first cruise only because it was a Prairie Home Companion cruise sailing from nearby Seattle. Now here we are booking a fourth cruise, and it's to Antarctica, which I would never have imagined.

• 1 month later...
I would hate to be considered wealthy just because I choose to do a 30 day full expedition rather than a drive by (or a fly over as all my friends seem to think I am doing!!!). But I totally understand the budget decisions (especially doubling it when travelling as a couple etc - I only budget for one person).

I am in my early 40s and decided to do the once in a life time trip now before I get even less fit etc (when it gets harder to enjoy etc). I will be paying off the loan for the next 20 years on my solo wage while I also pay my mortgage - all on my low to mid salary.

I have no other vices so I guess this is one giant almighty vice !!:D

As the old saying goes: "It's not what you make, but how you spend it!" We all have slightly different priorities, some chosen, some not. I tend to think that as more people safely and gently see what the world has to offer, especially the pristine "one of a kind" places, the better for all of us, as the confluence of voices of those wanting to preserve these places can make a difference.

I am in my early 40s and decided to do the once in a life time trip now before I get even less fit etc (when it gets harder to enjoy etc). I will be paying off the loan for the next 20 years on my solo wage while I also pay my mortgage - all on my low to mid salary.

I was just wondering if I read this correctly: you took out a loan to pay for your vacation?

I'm doing this cruis in Feb 2011. We have booked a veranda room, but which side is better (generally speaking - I know there are no hard-and-fast rules) for viewing the scenery, Antarctica in particular?

Thanks

Does not matter.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing this cruis in Feb 2011. We have booked a veranda room, but which side is better (generally speaking - I know there are no hard-and-fast rules) for viewing the scenery, Antarctica in particular?

Thanks

In the Antarctic Peninsula it does not matter, but for the rest of of the drive by, for SA ports, portside would be better if the itinerary travels north along the SA coast, back up to BA. A benefit also going around the Cape. Only negative is the prevailing winds ( and gales) are from the West and if you don't like wind whistling through your verandah slider, pick starboard.

I was just wondering if I read this correctly: you took out a loan to pay for your vacation?

Yes - why ? Never met anyone with $50,000 in cash lying around the house waiting to be spent on travel !!!

Most people I know refinance their mortgage every few years to travel. The interest rates on the mortgage are far lower than a personal loan.

Archived