Falkland Islands: penguins

digitl

"Discussions" are ongoing and I have been told there will be Bluff cove tours for the HAL customers "one way or other."

If you want to get more information, when available, please either email Bluff cove direct (please put in you email the date of the visit and the number in your party, so they can get an idea of numbers) from their website (http://www.falklandpenguins.com/contact.asp ) or keep an eye on here and I'll try to keep you updated.

This issue is not affecting other cruise lines.

I ended up getting a walk up Volunteer Point tour. It was a husband/wife team. Name was Tony. I paid $170 and it was absolutely excellent. The drivers were superb and extremely skilled.

Patrick Watts had canceled the tour I had booked with him and he was only doing his "alternate". He did give his recommendation for this other vendor, stating they were reputable and they certainly were.

So, if someone wants to be in the first tenders off the ship, you may be able to get a walk up for Volunteer Point.

Here is a photo sample of what I saw. http://travel.webshots.com/album/577185865DUnBOt

"Discussions" are ongoing and I have been told there will be Bluff cove tours for the HAL customers "one way or other."

If you want to get more information, when available, please either email Bluff cove direct (please put in you email the date of the visit and the number in your party, so they can get an idea of numbers) from their website (http://www.falklandpenguins.com/contact.asp ) or keep an eye on here and I'll try to keep you updated.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Budget Queen,

Why did Patrick cancel your tour? We are booked with him for next January. I don't want to end up with our tour being cancelled.

Thanks in advance for your info.

He told me, he had almost missed the ship the week before.

cause was, people NOT getting out on the first tenders and holding up the start of the tour. He did not leave until 10am. The weather also had been bad this season, and he runs big groups, he said they take longer. Going in just 2 vehicles can move along much faster. He said he decided to cancel due to it being a big group, and the need to have the drivers lined up in advance. He claimed, it had been a BIG problem with the cruiseline tendering. We were in port 8am-4pm. Hopefully you have another hour?? He said the NCL port time was very problematic.

This is why we're unable to do Volunteer Point: the timings are just too tight for comfort.

Is your ship offering Volunteer Point? The couple I went with, came back with the ship tour, they always do, in fact, they had to pull one of their jeeps out of mud. So really, no risk as the ship waits for their tours. Biggest kick was, I paid $170, they paid $375 :)

He told me, he had almost missed the ship the week before.

cause was, people NOT getting out on the first tenders and holding up the start of the tour. He did not leave until 10am. The weather also had been bad this season, and he runs big groups, he said they take longer. Going in just 2 vehicles can move along much faster. He said he decided to cancel due to it being a big group, and the need to have the drivers lined up in advance. He claimed, it had been a BIG problem with the cruiseline tendering. We were in port 8am-4pm. Hopefully you have another hour?? He said the NCL port time was very problematic.

We were on Patrick Watts' tour the cruise before yours and we did have to rush (we were at VP for only 1/2 hr). We did everything we could to get off the boat quickly, but we were a group of 20+ and Patrick wants to caravan. NCL would only give us tickets for tenders after they ran all of their own tours (understandable). We thought we were doing well organizing our large group but Patrick was not a happy camper when we arrived late, and everyone was well aware of his frustration. I was a bit disappointed myself because although the majority of the group still were happy to have gone, it's a long way, for a quite a bit of $, to be a rushed visit (G_d forbid a breakdown!)

Here's a picture of some King parents with "egg" :)

img2042s.jpg

I called HAL yesterday and spoke with a very nice lady named Karen in the excursion dept. She said they are going to offer the Bluff Cove tour but it would not be on line until the end of May/first of June.

We were on Patrick Watts' tour the cruise before yours and we did have to rush (we were at VP for only 1/2 hr). We did everything we could to get off the boat quickly, but we were a group of 20+ and Patrick wants to caravan. NCL would only give us tickets for tenders after they ran all of their own tours (understandable). We thought we were doing well organizing our large group but Patrick was not a happy camper when we arrived late, and everyone was well aware of his frustration. I was a bit disappointed myself because although the majority of the group still were happy to have gone, it's a long way, for a quite a bit of $, to be a rushed visit (G_d forbid a breakdown!)

Here's a picture of some King parents with "egg" :)

img2042s.jpg

The problem was your group, "waited" for tender tickets and for them to be called. IF you had gotten yourself, to deck 3, before the tendering started, and waited until it did, you could have boarded the first tenders which are running BEFORE most of the ship tours. As an example, the ONLY ship tour loading the first tenders was the ship Volunteer Point excursion. which has very few people. They FILL the tenders with ANYBODY. (hold 120 people) I do this ALL the time. Patrick, also stated that there were some VERY late people he had to wait for, frankly, he shouldn't have. I would think it was hardly worth it for only 1/2 hour.

I would suggest he, have a "lottery" type tour, where people HAD to be off the ship at a certain time, because they were leaving promptly. Not there?? Sorry, you miss it.

I'm looking for a trip next year, and will definately put a priority on a longer Falkland port time.

The problem was your group, "waited" for tender tickets and for them to be called. IF you had gotten yourself, to deck 3, before the tendering started, and waited until it did, you could have boarded the first tenders which are running BEFORE most of the ship tours. As an example, the ONLY ship tour loading the first tenders was the ship Volunteer Point excursion. which has very few people. They FILL the tenders with ANYBODY. (hold 120 people) I do this ALL the time. Patrick, also stated that there were some VERY late people he had to wait for, frankly, he shouldn't have. I would think it was hardly worth it for only 1/2 hour.

I would suggest he, have a "lottery" type tour, where people HAD to be off the ship at a certain time, because they were leaving promptly. Not there?? Sorry, you miss it.

I'm looking for a trip next year, and will definately put a priority on a longer Falkland port time.

You and Patrick have a lot in common. Actually our group had requested, and received, tender tix from the concierge a couple of days before the shorex and, supposedly, got first priority. We weren't the only ones trying to go ashore first, and the NCL police were guarding the tenders for correct tix. We waited as there were so many of us that sneaking onto the tender wasn't feasible. Only two made it off beforehand by breaking the rules (no one was later than the "group"), but there's no need to GET ONE'S SELF WORKED UP because we didn't storm the tenders!

As most of the group was pleased with the tour, maybe we should move the thread back to discussing penguins?

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Rockhopper tour through our ship. The rookery is on private land and the operators of the tour are the land owners. They have a very limited operation. I think we saw only 4 landrovers, which held 4 people each (plus driver). I'm under the impression that there is only one Rockhopper rookery in Stanley.

As for the "strenuous" designation, please believe it. While the walking is not difficult, the drive to the penguins is time consuming and NOT ON ROADS. I am a healthy, middle-ager and I believe if I'd had only a hangnail I would have been in great pain after that ride. It was very much like a commercial for an SUV...lots of bumps and ruts. Once you get to the rookery, the ground is relatively level, but a bit rocky. I would recommend it only for people who have no mobility issues at all.

That said, I highly recommend the tour because it's so unusual to be able to see Rockhoppers in the wild. We were very happy with the proximity to the birds and the ability to take photos. There is a small shack that serves hot tea and goodies, and an adjacent port-a-potty.

I have just started to look into excursions on Falkland Islands and have found this post to be very informative. We are also booked on the Veendam, but we are on the cruise that starts Dec 8th & will be in the Falklands on Dec 12th.

We are only offered Volunteer Point, Sparrows Cove & Murell Farm as well - no Bluff Cove. Which, from their site, looks like a great tour! So, I wrote to HAL also, maybe a flood of letters may help them decide to offer that one too!

I must say though that the picture of the rockhoppers on the Falkland Island visitor website tugged at my heart - they are SO cute! I can see why Jason that you would watch them for hours!

We are only offered Volunteer Point, Sparrows Cove & Murell Farm as well - no Bluff Cove. Which, from their site, looks like a great tour! So, I wrote to HAL also, maybe a flood of letters may help them decide to offer that one too!

I called HAL and they said the Bluff Cove excursion will be available on-line around the first of June.

Rebecca, I honestly don't know how I missed your other post saying that you called HAL, too much reading I guess & not enough sinking in! Thanks for the info - I actually did get a reply back the next day (Sat I think) saying they were working on it & would be offering it later, same answer you got.

Now I can't decide if I want to see the rockhoppers and get bounced around or go to Bluff Cove which sounds like an easier drive. Mind you, we have been on safari in East Africa three times & survived the (lack of) roads there so how bad could it be I wonder?

BudgetQueen, I tried Patrick originally and he said he couldn't do it with such a tight time schedule - he said 8 hours in port is just not long enough & he's not willing to risk it. I can understand that, I'd be on pins and needles the whole time myself as it's a LONG way to the next port.

HAL is offering Volunteer Point, but there is just no way I am willing to pay $700.00 for an outing for a day with a bag lunch for the two of us. We'll just have to save VP for another trip with a longer port call to the Falklands!

BudgetQueen, I tried Patrick originally and he said he couldn't do it with such a tight time schedule - he said 8 hours in port is just not long enough & he's not willing to risk it. I can understand that, I'd be on pins and needles the whole time myself as it's a LONG way to the next port.

HAL is offering Volunteer Point, but there is just no way I am willing to pay $700.00 for an outing for a day with a bag lunch for the two of us. We'll just have to save VP for another trip with a longer port call to the Falklands!

Since the ship is offering Volunteer Point- if you are flexible, you could consider picking up a walk up Volunteer Point tour. as I mentioned, this tour COMES BACK with the ship tour. It is a husband/wife team, name is Tony. You could verify this with Patrick Watts, as it was him who, I specifically spoke with at the dock, and who recommended Tony. Tony can do the tour, because he only takes the two vehicles and can go more efficiently than a caravan with Patrick, again, directly relayed to me by Patrick. Tony charged $170, no food. I would not hesistate to do this again, with this same highly experienced vendor.

This is just a SUGGESTION, it was important for me to get to Volunteer Point and I was not willing to "settle" if it was available to me. Which it was. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We missed the Falklands last year because of bad weather so we are attempting it again next Feb. Does anyone one have a working email address for Patrick Watts <pwatts@horizon.co.fk> my email is being returned from this address.

Hi

Just got this back from HAL: 'We are still finalizing some of the excursions for your sailing. If you would check back at a later date, we would be happy to check this again for you.'

Two things come to mind:

This response is days/weeks faster than I've had from HAL previously!!

and

'A word' with the owners of Bluff Cove might be useful if they are to get the business they deserve (anyone booking now will book with one of the alternatives...).

Thanks for pursuing this with HAL. I hope to be able to book the Bluff Cove excursion on our too-short visit to the Falklands. I am assuming that HAL will refund the cost of the excursion if weather prevents tendering.

Archived