Falkland Islands: penguins

digitl

Thanks for pursuing this with HAL. I hope to be able to book the Bluff Cove excursion on our too-short visit to the Falklands. I am assuming that HAL will refund the cost of the excursion if weather prevents tendering.

I believe that is the policy.

Thanks for the info Rebecca and Jason! But now I can't decide which one to do, Jason if you could help me out here, I'd really appreicate it!

The rockhoppers look like wonderful penguins to watch - what is the time to get there as well as what is the time to get to Bluff Cove? Is is REALLY really rough? My husband does have a bad back, but he has survived three safaris on VERY bumpy & non-exisitent roads in East Africa - could it be worse than that? Are the rockhopper viewings less crowded than Bluff Cove? (with people, not penguins....)

Thanks for all your help in advance!

For those interested in the Bluff Cove excursion it is now available to book through HAL!

Finally! Why HAL would want to delay bookings for such a well recommended tour as this beats me. Perhaps they wanted to fill the others first?

Which tour, Which tour always a problem, I won't tell you which one as I work for one of them and I have to be careful not to push one tour or the other.

As for the tracks/Terrain, though I've never been on the rockhopper tour I would suspect that the terrain would be the same, the bluff cove tour has you in a 4x4 for 20-30minutes each way and can be a bit bumpy. Is it any worse than east Africa I've got no idea at all, sorry.

As for crowds the Falklands is a big place and numbers are limited to both sites because of transporting people there (normally done in batches of 32/48) and only the ships tours will go there.

Hope that helps you

The rockhoppers look like wonderful penguins to watch - what is the time to get there as well as what is the time to get to Bluff Cove? Is is REALLY really rough? My husband does have a bad back, but he has survived three safaris on VERY bumpy & non-exisitent roads in East Africa - could it be worse than that?

There are some images at http://www.falklandpenguins.com/tour.asp that might help you. Doesn't look too bad compared with the Kenyan safaris we went on. It certainly looks like it will be well worth a little bumping around.

Beat me to it, have just geard my self and was going to post but you were too good.

Hattie e-mailed me yesterday to let me know. :)

I took your advise and e-mailed Bluff Cove last week to let them know the situation. They have been so kind and helpful and I can't wait to meet Hattie in person in December!

There are some images at http://www.falklandpenguins.com/tour.asp that might help you. Doesn't look too bad compared with the Kenyan safaris we went on. It certainly looks like it will be well worth a little bumping around.

It is rougher than the South Africa safaris - very bumpy almost the entire way. You just have to hang on to the straps. The ride is about 20 minutes, but definitely worth it!

• 1 month later...

I finally booked HAL's Bluff Cove tour on Dec. 4 for my friend and myself. I think we'll do private tours at the other ports, but this one has such a short time in port that I wanted the security of being on a ship tour.

• 3 weeks later...
I finally booked HAL's Bluff Cove tour on Dec. 4 for my friend and myself. I think we'll do private tours at the other ports, but this one has such a short time in port that I wanted the security of being on a ship tour.

Good idea. Often, in the Falklands, the cruise lines book up places like Bluff cove nad there are no private tours available. You will enjoy Bluff Cove.

Probably a good decision: I've only heard good things about Bluff Cove.

My emails to Patrick Watt are coming back also - no response....not sure why....if anyone has another address, please post.

I have no direct knowledge but, as it's the middle of the Falklands winter and out of season for running tours, maybe he's on holiday?

Archived