Just booked Alaska, we sail next month!

bubbles1209

I'm sooooooo excited! We just booked a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle for next month.:D Made final payment yesterday, and got an aft balcony cabin for the sightseeing! I can't wait! So, now, the million dollar question............will a Ga gal be able to deal with the cold?!:eek:

Gonna give it a 100% effort :D Anyone have any advice, or experiences they are willing to share?

I'm very jealous. I've always wanted to do an Alaska sailing. I have several friends, and my mom, who have lived in Alaska and I've always wanted to cruise there!

I have an Uncle who lived in Anchorage for a while and never did go visit. Now I'll get to see some of what I was missing when I didn't go visit. I can't believe it! Didn't mean to make ya jealous though. I know you'll get there 1 day, but until then, I promise to post pics when I get back :)

I'm sooooooo excited! We just booked a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle for next month.:D Made final payment yesterday, and got an aft balcony cabin for the sightseeing! I can't wait! So, now, the million dollar question............will a Ga gal be able to deal with the cold?!:eek:

Gonna give it a 100% effort :D Anyone have any advice, or experiences they are willing to share?

Hi!

I am on your cruise!! :D (and I moved to Boise 2 years ago from Marietta/Kennesaw, GA!)

Hi!

I am on your cruise!! :D (and I moved to Boise 2 years ago from Marietta/Kennesaw, GA!)

Awesome!!:D So you know all about the heat & humidity we are accustomed to down here. Be glad you aren't here now, the pollen is so bad, it's literally visible as dust clouds off in the distance, and the pollen's so thick that it looks smoky outside going down the highway at night. Of course, for us here, no rain in sight until Friday. I knew it would rain 1 day next week, it always does the week of the Master's.

I'm so excited about this cruise, can't wait to learn everything & anything I can before we go! When are you getting into Seattle?

I have an Uncle who lived in Anchorage for a while and never did go visit. Now I'll get to see some of what I was missing when I didn't go visit. I can't believe it! Didn't mean to make ya jealous though. I know you'll get there 1 day, but until then, I promise to post pics when I get back :)

I expect pics and a review upon your return!

Awesome!!:D So you know all about the heat & humidity we are accustomed to down here. Be glad you aren't here now, the pollen is so bad, it's literally visible as dust clouds off in the distance, and the pollen's so thick that it looks smoky outside going down the highway at night. Of course, for us here, no rain in sight until Friday. I knew it would rain 1 day next week, it always does the week of the Master's.

I'm so excited about this cruise, can't wait to learn everything & anything I can before we go! When are you getting into Seattle?

:eek: (about the pollen!) My allergies were so bad!!

I am loving it here in Boise - except very ODD weather right now. It was a very mild winter ... now that it is April 2nd and officially Spring, it is 35 degrees and snowing! :D I refuse to put my socks and shoes back on though. As soon as the first day of Spring came around, my Crocs came out of my closet! ;)

I arrive in Seattle on May 6th (LOVE Seattle and this is a great excuse to spend a few days) I'll be staying at the Musical House on Harvard B&B

If you need any tips on Seattle you can email me (my name is Rachel btw) my email address is

my screen name AT gmail

:)

UGGH! It is late ... just realized that cruises will be leaving all next month for Alaska - My cruise is May 11. I may or may not be on your exact cruise LOL!

I know about the pollen, my blue car looks yellow:), I'm on the spirit for alaska on June 1st, can't wait, first cruise for me and my family, taking my daughter as a gift before she heads off to college. I will miss her sooo much. Hope she will enjoy the cruise.

bubbles, good to see you back here on cruise critic - it's been a while since I have seen you posting here and I have missed you! I remember your hubby had some problems on your last cruise so I have been wondering how you all are doing and if you were still cruising. I always enjoy your trip reports and pictures, so I will look forward to reading about your Alaskan adventure when you return. Have a great cruise!

Congrats on the cruise, we did the Alaska cruise in 2006 towards the end of May and have to say that it was COLD! I usually have no problem with it but it was jacket time for me almost each day and I normally have no problem with SS or LS shirts only. The wife loves the cold but this was a bit chillier than she probably wanted. Either way, you will have a great time I'm sure.

We went to Alaska the first week of June in 2007. We had great weather, somedays it was very warm. Layer, layer, layer. I invested in a lightweight raincoat with a hood. It has gotten me through many cruises. It is thin enough to fit in my drawstring backpack so I can take it off when I want to.

On the ship when you are inside you won't need anything special. But out on decks and during excursions you may need heavier clothing.

Alaska is an amazing place and you will have a wonderful experience.

I know about the pollen, my blue car looks yellow:), I'm on the spirit for alaska on June 1st, can't wait, first cruise for me and my family, taking my daughter as a gift before she heads off to college. I will miss her sooo much. Hope she will enjoy the cruise.

So you will be getting onboard right after we get off, we were gonna go the sailing of June 1st, as this was supposed to be a high school graduation gift for my daughter before she heads off to college in the fall, but she however, has elected not to go. :( She has an interview with Sears later this month, and was afraid if she got the job, she wouldn't be able to go, and has decided the job was more important. She didn't tell us however, that it's only a part-time position she's interviewing for. I'm glad she's serious about wanting a part-time job with college, but I just don't want her putting all of her eggs into 1 basket so to speak in case she doesn't get the job. I didn't want to wait until the end of April to book the cruise and the airfare since the flights are filling up so quickly now. I was so looking forward to taking this trip with her as our last time together before she starts off the rest of her life, but, I only want her to go if she's gonna enjoy it and have a good time. She's sure she doesn't want to go, and it wouldn't be as fun if she wasn't happy in going. At least she'll be living at home and going to college for the 1st year locally, so it's not like she's moving away or anything. So, we have some friends that booked the same trip a week earlier, which is the May 25th sailing, so we all decided to go together and have some fun. I will miss my daughter, and wish she could see everything, but I'm still excited about going :)

bubbles, good to see you back here on cruise critic - it's been a while since I have seen you posting here and I have missed you! I remember your hubby had some problems on your last cruise so I have been wondering how you all are doing and if you were still cruising. I always enjoy your trip reports and pictures, so I will look forward to reading about your Alaskan adventure when you return. Have a great cruise!

Thanks! Yes, I've been gone, but it's nice to know I'm not forgotten! :D Good to see you are still here, and nice to hear from you!

Yes, on the last cruise there were problems, but we are doing well, thank you, and yes we're still cruising, just not as much as we would like thanks to a few curveballs that work has thrown us this year. We're looking forward to this trip, it will be the longest distance I've ever been away from home, and I can't wait. There will be plenty of pics and a review when I get back, and hopefully, no troubles this time around.

Bubbles1209 - I went on the Spirit to ALaska two summers ago and it was a bit chilly!! Since you are going earlier in the year it is probably going to be even colder. Best advice I have is to layer your clothing. Also, make sure that you take a waterproof lightweight jacket w/hood and a hat and gloves for when you are outside on deck. If you have a balcony it is helpful to have a blanket.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery and have fun!!

It is a very nice cruise. It will not be as festive as a caribbean cruise.

You will be in US Ports so everything is safe and you don't have to worry about venturing out. Don't book on board the ship. There are plenty of tour booths when you get off. You will get a better price and more of a tour.

We booked a helicopter to see the glaciers and also a float plan to see the fjords. The helicopter took 4 passenger and so did the float plane. Were able to get into more areas and landed on more glaciers and lakes. Seen the floated plane from the ship tour and it held about 20.

Heard the train in Skagway is nice. I wanted to ride on the steam engine train and it wasn't running that day. Was told it only runs on certain days.

That is another thing about booking on the ship. If the weather is bad too bad. You are stuck with that tour. Wouldn't want to spend the money on a tour if it was raining.

Since being form Ga you are use to the rain and it probably will especially in Ketchikan. Take binoculars, rain poncho, and some good walking shoes.

The ships dock are in the towns but there is still walking to do.

Skagway was my favorite. Took a river raft tour there. There is a micro brewery there called Skagway Brewery. Good food and good beer. The guide was also a bartender at that bar. He said even though it wasn't on the tour he took us to the grave yard and then dropped us off where we wanted. Also gave us a nice tour of the town.

Archived