Early arrival in Venice - what to do with luggage?

Paulchili

We will be arriving in Venice by train from Zagreb at 7 AM. As we will not be jet-lagged, we will be able to enjoy a full day of sightseeing in Venice.

The question is - what to do with luggage?

How early will A take our luggage (do not need to check in per se)?

Any other reliable place where one can store the luggage (train station, hotel)?

Any advice from prior experience is appreciated.

there is luggage storage at the train station and, I am told, at the cruise port. Probably there is also the same at P. Roma (this is where you would drop off your rental car if that's how you are arriving).

Thank you both (Lynn, the map is very helpful).

I guess I am wondering how safe these places are. Not worried so much about the larger suitcase, more about the carry-on stuff (laptop, etc - even when locked).

Would love to leave it with the cruise line, if possible.

Here's a link to a post on Tripadvisor (sister site of CC) that might be of help:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3485415-l25031931-Storing_baggage_at_Piazzale_Roma-Venice_Veneto.html#25031931

Do you know which cruise terminal your ship will be at in Venice? If not, the Venice Cruise Terminal website provides this information, under "ships schedule". Here's a link to the map on their site: http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

Here's a link to a post on Tripadvisor (sister site of CC) that might be of help:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3485415-l25031931-Storing_baggage_at_Piazzale_Roma-Venice_Veneto.html#25031931

Do you know which cruise terminal your ship will be at in Venice? If not, the Venice Cruise Terminal website provides this information, under "ships schedule". Here's a link to the map on their site: http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

Susan,

Thank you for the links.

It should be docking at VTP - berth 029.

I cannot quite gauge whether it is walkable from P. Roma (with luggage) or to take a taxi/bus/port shuttle bus (if there is one).

Have you walked it?

Susan,

It should be docking at VTP - berth 029.

Is it San Basilio terminal? We walked from P. Roma to Marittima with luggage ... it was a bit of a hike, but doable. If I was doing it again though I would have a look for the bus that goes from P. Roma to the port.

If you are going to San Basilio it does look more difficult and longer to walk to than Marittima.

Here's another link that provides helpful info on both Marittima and San Basilio:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-marittima.htm

Susan,

If I am reading the small lettering on the map correctly, I believe berth 29 is in San Basilio.

30 min walking (according to the web site) with luggage is too much - we'll take a taxi or a bus.

Thank you again.

Paul

Susan,

If I am reading the small lettering on the map correctly, I believe berth 29 is in San Basilio.

30 min walking (according to the web site) with luggage is too much - we'll take a taxi or a bus.

Thank you again.

Paul

You're welcome.:)

I just had a look at the Ships Schedule for Azamara in the link for VTP, and yes, 29 is San Basilio.

Hey Paulchili,

I am glad you posed this question. I will be arriving in Venice on the first of May and had not considered what to do with our luggage between the checkout time and check in at the ship. I am hoping the difference is not too bad, as I really want to only leave my bags with Azamara in their care if necessary. If you are on the same sailing we would love to have another member to our roll call. Have a nice time in Zagreb.

Susan,

Thank you again.

Paul

You can take the Vaporetto to the stop right near SB then a short walk to the port building

I have forgotten the # I think it was #62 but there is a vaporetto map that should have all the routes on it

Hey Paulchili,

I am glad you posed this question. I will be arriving in Venice on the first of May and had not considered what to do with our luggage between the checkout time and check in at the ship. I am hoping the difference is not too bad, as I really want to only leave my bags with Azamara in their care if necessary. If you are on the same sailing we would love to have another member to our roll call. Have a nice time in Zagreb.

WooKeef,

I am on the Sept 20th sailing.

If you are checking out of a hotel, I am sure the hotel would keep your luggage for you (and it should be safe there). Also, if check out time is noon, by the time you get to the port you should be able to board.

Lynn - I will check out the vaporetto map. Thanks.

I would definitely leave the bags at the railway station, where they will be safe and secure:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=621

Buy a one or two day travel pass (if you have another day in Venice) and go exploring on the vaporettos.

Then when you return to the station you can get vaporetto #2 from Ferrovia (railway station) to S. Basilio, from where it's a 200-300 yard walk to the ship.

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jspvenezia/htmlincludes/pdf/muoversi.pdf

I would definitely leave the bags at the railway station, where they will be safe and secure:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=621

Bollinge,

Thank you for your reply.

I wonder what makes you so certain that the luggage will be safe and secure at the station and perhaps not at the storage place on P. Roma?

Again, I am mostly worried about the carry on that will have a laptop (locked). It would seem to me that it would be potentially equally vulnerable at either place.

BTW, Great links - thanks

Because you leave your luggage with the Italian State Railways' Left Luggage Office in one of their prime tourist locations. So who can you trust?

I had my Rolex watch snatched off my wrist in Naples in broad daylight on the main tourist drag, with cop cars driving all around!

BTW, the #2 vaporetto you need is towards "S. Zaccaria MVE" - obvoiusly like Metros they go in two directions, so here's the routing:

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversidetail/lineeid_1_lineaid_2.jsp#1

If you get on at P. Roma you can also take the #61 only 2 stops to SB

Lyn

Yes, but they are arriving at Ferrovia, and it's a long walk with luggage over pedestrian bridges to P. Roma, so what's the point?

Yes, but they are arriving at Ferrovia, and it's a long walk with luggage over pedestrian bridges to P. Roma, so what's the point?

You have a point there.

If my luggage is equally "safe" at either place, then I just might as well leave it at the train station.

Thank you all for your advice - it has been productive and helpful.

it's a long walk with luggage over pedestrian bridges to P. Roma

Of course, you could also take the vaporetto, Ferrovia - P.Roma, but is one left luggage safer than another?

The one at the station is manned, and your gear x-rayed before they store it for you.

I would leave most valuables in my bags in the storage facility, as pickpocketing is rife in Venice, as it is in Rome, Naples (see above), Athens & Barcelona.

The one at the station is manned, and your gear x-rayed before they store it for you.

You bring up an interesting point.

If the luggage is X rayed, then they would know there is a laptop inside. Would that make it more of a target/temptation?

I would think that at any time any day the depository will have dozens of bags containing laptops in storage. Why pick on yours?

If your computer is so important, have you got all your data backed up in case you drop it?

OOPS forgot they were coming by train

Archived