No more Antarctica

jdymiller

That is worrying as we were seriously looking at a trip in January 2012 that Azamara have just announced which included 3 days Antarctic cruising

I said the exact same thing on the X board... Very strange Azamara just published this itinerary and takes reservations given the ban that was recently announced. Maybe we're all missing something. The ban mentioned something about ships using a certain type of fuel, maybe this excludes Azamara. Or maybe they were just caught by surprise...

Antarctica is one of my destinations to see before I die...and I agree that perhaps Azamara is exempt from this ban because of the clause...I find it hard to believe that they would have not been cautioned about putting this out to the public. I am certain they are taking precautions to qualify themselves. That being said, I am glad that they are doing this to protect that environment.

When I was on the Quest I had dinner with the Capitan and Staff Capitan and asked them about Antarctica. He said that there is no official law that is enforced, but there is an "international agreement" on landing on Antarctica with more than 500 people - you don't do it. The way he explained it, I understood that there is no harm in sailing close to land and viewing things from the ocean, but to land you cannot have more than 500 people on board (crew + staff).

He also told me a funny story about how they sailed there and he decided to have a 2 ton iceberg brought on board for the deck party. Funny stuff....must have been a good party.

A larger ship can cruise there but take less passengers on that voyage. You are only allowed to land no more than 100 people at a time. We were on a 400 passenger ship that only took 199 and only landed half at a time.

Finally, there is no law, just international Agreements.

That is worrying as we were seriously looking at a trip in January 2012 that Azamara have just announced which included 3 days Antarctic cruising

We have just booked this Jan 2012 sailing as we also liked the 3 days of Antarctic cruising. I was also wondering if the fewer passenger numbers on the Journey might mean we get a couple of hours ashore, not that I would be disappointed if we don't.

We have just booked this Jan 2012 sailing as we also liked the 3 days of Antarctic cruising. I was also wondering if the fewer passenger numbers on the Journey might mean we get a couple of hours ashore, not that I would be disappointed if we don't.

I think they would need special permits, guides and boats to go ashore, and won't have those arrangements in place.

I think they would need special permits, guides and boats to go ashore, and won't have those arrangements in place.

Thanks Susan,

I managed to find a review of a previous Journey Antarctica cruise and they did not go ashore, so I think that answers that one, not that it is imperative.:)

Thanks Susan,

I managed to find a review of a previous Journey Antarctica cruise and they did not go ashore, so I think that answers that one, not that it is imperative.:)

We're hoping to go to Antarctica around that time too, but have our hearts set on doing landings, zodiac touring and possibly kayaking, so that rules out Azamara for us, in favour of a smaller expedition cruise.

If going ashore isn't on your 'must do' list, then Azamara's pricing for this cruise is very appealing!

Archived