Brooklyn Port - Transportation to Philadephia

zinman

A friend who lives in the Philadelphia area is takng a cruise out of the Brooklyn port in June. They can get aride to the port on the Saturday they embark, but they return on a Monday morning when it's more difficult for them to get a ride home. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for bus or car services that aren't outrageously expensive to get from the pier back to the Philadelphia area? Any advice is appreciated.

They can take a cab from the pier to Port Authority and take the bus or a cab to Penn Station and take the train. The bus option will be the least expensive. The cab from Brooklyn to Port Authority will be $25-$35. How much do they want to spend?

Your friend can take Bolt Bus from 30th and Market to 6th and Watts in Chinatown, which is closer to the Brooklyn Pier that either Greyhound or the Bolt Stop in midtown. It's much better than Greyhound because your seat is guaranteed. Tickets have to be purchased online.

http://www.boltbus.com

Your friend can take Bolt Bus from 30th and Market to 6th and Watts in Chinatown, which is closer to the Brooklyn Pier that either Greyhound or the Bolt Stop in midtown. It's much better than Greyhound because your seat is guaranteed. Tickets have to be purchased online.

www.boltbus.com

actually its a stop on 6th avenue(AKA avenue of the Americas) between Watts and Canal. Its about a $20 cab ride to Brooklyn. Catch a cab going west on canal. A left on west street to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, first exit after the tolls and follow the signs- this is the short way but has a toll the other way is over the Brooklyn Bridge....and it will be about the same $20.00

Thanks so much! My daughter takes teh Bolt bus back and forth, as she goes to FIT but I hadn't thought of it for the cruise. I'll give my friends both suggestions about the bus and train and let them know either way they'll need to pay for the cab or bus into Manhattan. After that it's up to them how much money they want to spend - I know the Bolt bus is the cheapest option! Thanks again.

There is also Dave's Best Limousine Service, which runs a shuttle van from the pier. Depending on where they live in the Phila area, they would be dropped off directly at their home.

It's more expensive, but certainly easier than taking a taxi to a NY street corner, then a long bus ride, and then trying to figure out a way to get home from 30th street in Phila.

Actually, both Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan Bus Lines now sell reserved seating tickets between New York and Philadelphia. Tickets can be purchased online or in person. When waiting for the bus to depart, Greyhound and Peter Pan passengers are able to wait inside in a climate-controlled bus terminal, whereas Boltbus passengers must wait outside on a sidewalk (keeping fingers crossed that it is not raining). However, many (but not all) Boltbus tickets are less expensive than either Greyhound Lines or Peter Pan Bus Lines.

Also, New Century Travel offers bus service from its terminal in Manhattan that is closer to Brooklyn than the Boltbus bus stop. New Century Travel has a bus terminal in which passengers may wait.

Links for these and other bus lines are available at The Transportation Directory, http://www.transportationdirectory.co.cc.

Actually, both Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan Bus Lines now sell reserved seating tickets between New York and Philadelphia. Tickets can be purchased online or in person. When waiting for the bus to depart, Greyhound and Peter Pan passengers are able to wait inside in a climate-controlled bus terminal, whereas Boltbus passengers must wait outside on a sidewalk (keeping fingers crossed that it is not raining). However, many (but not all) Boltbus tickets are less expensive than either Greyhound Lines or Peter Pan Bus Lines.

Also, New Century Travel offers bus service from its terminal in Manhattan that is closer to Brooklyn than the Boltbus bus stop. New Century Travel has a bus terminal in which passengers may wait.

Links for these and other bus lines are available at The Transportation Directory, http://www.transportationdirectory.co.cc.

You are wrong about Greyhound and reserved seating. You buy your tickets for the day, and time, but if the bus is full you have to wait for the next one. This means standing in line for at least an hour. This is what's stated on the Greyhound website:

Traveling By Bus

How We Operate

No reservations are necessary when you travel with Greyhound. If you know the departure schedule, simply arrive at the terminal at least an hour before departure to purchase your ticket. Boarding generally begins 15 to 30 minutes before departure. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Advance purchase tickets do not guarantee a seat.

As far as New Century - I prefer not to use the Chinatown buses. I have heard too many horror stories.

You are wrong about Greyhound and reserved seating. You buy your tickets for the day, and time, but if the bus is full you have to wait for the next one. This means standing in line for at least an hour.

It depends. If you buy an unreserved ticket, then indeed it is as you say. However, if you buy a reserved ticket then you are guaranteed seating on a particular trip. The following is quoted from the March 31, 2010 press release from Greyhound Lines.

Greyhound and Peter Pan Expand Reserved Seating Offering

DALLAS (March 31, 2010) – Greyhound and Peter Pan Bus Lines today announced the expansion of reserved seating to four new major markets along the east coast. Passengers traveling from New York City to Hartford, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and Springfield, Mass., now have the additional ticketing option of reserved seating.

“Our company is dedicated to finding ways to improve the overall travel experience for our passengers,” said Myron Watkins, vice president of operations, Greyhound Lines, Inc. “In addition to the latest amenities available on our buses, such as extra legroom, power plug-ins and free Wi-Fi, reserved seating gives travelers added convenience.”

Reserved seating is available for an additional fee of $3-$5, one-way, in select cities on specific schedules. Customers can purchase this option in advance up to two hours prior to departure online, and at any time up to one half hour before departure in terminals. Reserved seating originally launched in major Massachusetts metros, Boston, Framingham and Newton.

“Our reserved seating initiative is an extension of our goal to provide the highest level of comfort, safety and service possible to our valued customers,” said Peter A. Picknelly, president and CEO, Peter Pan Bus Lines Inc. “We’re excited to offer our passengers a variety of travel options, including a standard ticket good for travel anytime, any day, and the chance to upgrade to reserved seating for those who know exactly when they want to travel.”

A list of all eligible cities and schedules can be found on www.greyhound.com or www.peterpanbus.com by clicking on the “reserved seating” icon. Passengers can also call their local terminal or consult a Greyhound or Peter Pan ticket agent at the ticket counter. For fare and schedule information and to buy tickets, contact Greyhound by calling 1-800-231-2222 or visit the Greyhound Web site at www.greyhound.com, or contact Peter Pan at 1-800-343-9999 or visit the Peter Pan Web site at www.peterpanbus.com.

About Greyhound

Greyhound is the largest North American provider of intercity bus transportation, serving more than 2,300 destinations across the continent. The company also provides Greyhound PackageXpress (GPX) and charter services. For fare and schedule information and to buy tickets call 1-800-231-2222 or visit the Web site at www.greyhound.com. Follow Greyhound on Twitter for the latest news and travel deals, http://twitter.com/GreyhoundBus.

About Peter Pan

Peter Pan is one of the country’s largest privately owned bus companies, operating premier regular-route service and support to over 100 communities throughout the northeast corridor, with daily express service to cities including Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, DC. The company transports more than three million passengers a year and logs more than 25 million miles annually. The company also operates nationwide charter and tour services.

You may have missed the link on the homepage of Greyhound Lines, which if one clicks will bring up specific information about the routes where reservations are available. Included is service between New York and Philadelphia.

As far as New Century - I prefer not to use the Chinatown buses. I have heard too many horror stories.

I have heard horror stories about virtually all modes of transportation, and for any reported shortcoming of New Century I can find similar stories related to other carriers as well as private transportation. Overall, I think Boltbus provides the highest quality of service for bus transportation between New York and Philadelphia, but that alone is not the only criterion I use or that others use. Price, proximity, prejudice, and schedule all have an influence in choice (and as noted New Century is the closest regularly-scheduled service to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal).

Ok. I see the link. Roundtrip is "as low as" $68.00. I went to NYC last week on Mega for $6.50 RT. We did have to wait about 45 minutes for the return trip, and I understand what a pain it would be in bad weather, but it's worth saving saving $61.50 IMO. As for Bolt, I often use that as well. Usually the roundtrip cost is $22 - that's a savings $46.

Just recently Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan were promoting the New York to Philadelphia route and tickets were only $5 one-way. Right now I'm seeing tickets "as low as" $34 for a round-trip (though when I went ahead and selected some random travel dates I was given options that were as low as $26 round-trip). Boltbus fares range from $2 to $26 round-trip (plus booking fee), and Megabus fares range from $2 to $28 round-trip (plus booking fee). Given the above I would not make any assumptions about which carrier would necessarily offer the best fare (though in my experience Megabus tends to lead in that area). And now it seems that the advantage Boltbus and Megabus once had in offering reserved seating is no longer exclusive since Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan now offer the same. All-in-all the thorough travel researcher now has a few more mouse clicks before the best decision can be made.

• 1 month later...
A friend who lives in the Philadelphia area is takng a cruise out of the Brooklyn port in June. They can get aride to the port on the Saturday they embark, but they return on a Monday morning when it's more difficult for them to get a ride home. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for bus or car services that aren't outrageously expensive to get from the pier back to the Philadelphia area? Any advice is appreciated.[/quote

We took Dave's Best back home on May 9th. They pick you up at the terminal and drop you off at your home. Cost $55 per person. By the time you figure a cab to the bus or train and a cab home from the station in Philly, Dave's Best is a good deaL. I don't remember their phone number but you can google them for their number or web site. Call to make reservations. They respond more promptly to calls than E-Mail.

Also a couple of years ago when we were on the Crown Princess we caught a shuttle run by the cruise line that went to Philly. Don't know if they do it now.

I checked that Princess still aranges a bus from Phila to the ship in brooklyn.It leaves from one of the Phila airport parking lots and you can go rnd trip or just back on Monday.It stops once or twice I think, in NJ before it gets to red hook.It is a natational bus company on charter for the broklyn cruises amd I think it starts its day in Baltimore.It is still going check with Princess we decided it was just easier to drive from the Phila South NJ area.

have a good cruise.

• 11 months later...

hi all

trying to located a car servcie charged a flat rate from Manhattan to brooklyn pier $25 plus toll

started with a M

Please help i found it on this website once and can not locate

thansk soo much

• 8 months later...
hi all

trying to located a car servcie charged a flat rate from Manhattan to brooklyn pier $25 plus toll

started with a M

Please help i found it on this website once and can not locate

thansk soo much

try arecibo 7187836465

Daves Limo

The question is from May 2011. If he hasn't already found a car service he's probably missed his cruise. :D

Archived