Fort Lauderdale hotels

Happy Traveler

We just signed up for a 12/3/10 Southern Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam. Since we live in DC suburbs, we will go to FL the night before we sail in case of weather problems. Any suggestions for a nice place, fairly reasonable price, with a shuttle to the port? Any other information is also welcome.

Susan

try going on this board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

it has all the info you need for Florida departures and lots of hotel info. We like the Hyatt North. Free shuttle to/from airport and pier. Nice comp breakfast, good size rooms and comfy beds. Walking to restaurants, shops for last min items and liquor store. Hotwire 3 stars has a good price. We'll be staying there on 12/4 since our Niew Ams. leaves on 12/5.

Good luck.:)

We just stayed at the Hyatt Place North, which we got on Priceline for about $80 or so. Shuttle from the airport and to the cruiseport, breakfast, nice room. It's close to a Publix and the fantastic Total Wine Store [if you're going on HAL] so you can stock up. Would definitely stay there again.

Would you mind giving me bidding info for this hotel (Zone, stars, etc). I've been trying for downtown area , May 1st, with no luck (no problem getting one in the past), so I'm willing to try another area. We would rather not stay in airport area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pam in KY

We just signed up for a 12/3/10 Southern Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam. Since we live in DC suburbs, we will go to FL the night before we sail in case of weather problems. Any suggestions for a nice place, fairly reasonable price, with a shuttle to the port? Any other information is also welcome.

Susan

This is an off peak time, prices will be good. So I would look at hotels close to las Olas and/or near tne water taxi route. The port is only a few dollars cab ride from that area and worth it to staywhere there is stuff to do and lots of great restaurants.;) I wouldn't base your choice on a shuttle. There are lots of hotels rec here. Also check out tripadvisor lists and reviews.

Susan

We are going on the Oasis of the Seas in May and just booked at the Cambria Suites in Dania, Fla. Reviews look good and hotel is new and looks great. Rates for seniors and govt/military are good. Shuttle to airport and port is available. My rate includes free shuttle and can park my car while on cruise. They offer a $8 breakfast buffet. I will post my review of this hotel upon my return.

Would you mind giving me bidding info for this hotel (Zone, stars, etc). I've been trying for downtown area , May 1st, with no luck (no problem getting one in the past), so I'm willing to try another area. We would rather not stay in airport area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pam in KY

Hyatt Place north is downtown 3* on Priceline. You could end up with Embassy Suites or Riverside Hotel with this strategy, but they are all good.

Susan

Susan, we stayed at the Dania Beach Sleep Inn last month for one night pre-cruise, as they received good reviews here on CC and also on Trip Advisor. They offer discounts for AAA/AARP, etc. on their website. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and also a shuttle to the port. The room was nice, with a mini-microwave and fridge, and very clean and comfy. There was a complimentary buffet breakfast the next morning with a good variety of items. There is a Walgreen's next to the hotel, and a shopping center across the street with a Publix grocery and a couple of restaurants as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Susan, we stayed at the Dania Beach Sleep Inn last month for one night pre-cruise, as they received good reviews here on CC and also on Trip Advisor. They offer discounts for AAA/AARP, etc. on their website. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and also a shuttle to the port. The room was nice, with a mini-microwave and fridge, and very clean and comfy. There was a complimentary buffet breakfast the next morning with a good variety of items. There is a Walgreen's next to the hotel, and a shopping center across the street with a Publix grocery and a couple of restaurants as well.

rjscott,

:confused:Did you get a standard room or a suite? If a standard king/queen just wondered what you thought of the room. Was there a table and chairs to sit at to eat or just a work desk w/chair?

:confused:How far was it from the airport & cruise port?

Thanks!

We just stayed at Sleep Inns and Suites in Dania.

They picked us up at the airport.

Shuttled us to the port the next morning.

Standard room, two queen beds.

Outside pool and hot tub.

Breakfast in the morning, eggs, waffles, cereal, danish, oat meal, toast, bagels, coffee, juice.

Shopping across the street, Publix, Dollar Store, a couple of restaurants.

I would stay here again.

I know some posts have bashed the shuttle thing at some hotels.

We were picked up at the airport after waiting about 15 minutes.

The shuttle in the morning...we were the only ones on it and it left on time when they said it would.

rjscott,

:confused:Did you get a standard room or a suite? If a standard king/queen just wondered what you thought of the room. Was there a table and chairs to sit at to eat or just a work desk w/chair?

:confused:How far was it from the airport & cruise port?

Thanks!

We had reserved a standard room but it appeared that we received an upgrade as we had a sittting area w/sofa bed and chair as well, which is considered their "suite". The hotel is nice; even from the outside, as you drive up, it appears to be newer. The lobby makes a nice presentation and the rooms are all nice. The breakfast has a good variety of items, including some hot. The pool is a nice size. There is a Walgreen's next to the hotel and a shopping center across the main road with a Publix grocery and a couple of restaurants. If there is no table and chairs in your room to eat, and you want to get carry-out from the restaurants, you could always use the breakfast room downstairs in the hotel.

The hotel is about 15 min from the airport or port via the shuttle, depending on whether they have other pick-up's or drop-off's to make first. We were picked up at the airport promptly when we arrived. When we were going to the port however, it was more complicated. They had both pickups and drop-off's at hotels and the airport before we were dropped at the port, so it took us quite a while to get to the port. It is a free shuttle, so that can happen, but I would have signed up for an earlier shuttle to the port had I known it would take so long for us to get there.

We had reserved a standard room but it appeared that we received an upgrade as we had a sittting area w/sofa bed and chair as well, which is considered their "suite". The hotel is nice; even from the outside, as you drive up, it appears to be newer. The lobby makes a nice presentation and the rooms are all nice. The breakfast has a good variety of items, including some hot. The pool is a nice size. There is a Walgreen's next to the hotel and a shopping center across the main road with a Publix grocery and a couple of restaurants. If there is no table and chairs in your room to eat, and you want to get carry-out from the restaurants, you could always use the breakfast room downstairs in the hotel.

The hotel is about 15 min from the airport or port via the shuttle, depending on whether they have other pick-up's or drop-off's to make first. We were picked up at the airport promptly when we arrived. When we were going to the port however, it was more complicated. They had both pickups and drop-off's at hotels and the airport before we were dropped at the port, so it took us quite a while to get to the port. It is a free shuttle, so that can happen, but I would have signed up for an earlier shuttle to the port had I known it would take so long for us to get there.

rjscott,

Thanks for this additional info.

:confused:By chance do they sell Wine/Liquor at the Publix grocery store or is there a regular liquor store nearby? We will have a rental car, but always nice to know where we can find 'drinkie' stuff beforehand and close to the hotel.

If we book this hotel (which sounds great and by the photos look very nice) I think we will upgrade to the suite. That seating area sounds very nice.

Monakayk, the Publix does sell wine and beer. We walked over there to pick up soda for the ship. You would need to go to a liquor store for anything else. There are liquor stores a short drive away on Federal Hwy (Rt 1). I'm sure the front desk could direct you. They were very helpful.

Have a great cruise!

Monakayk, the Publix does sell wine and beer. We walked over there to pick up soda for the ship. You would need to go to a liquor store for anything else. There are liquor stores a short drive away on Federal Hwy (Rt 1). I'm sure the front desk could direct you. They were very helpful.

Have a great cruise!

rjscott,

Thanks again for this additional info. You have been very helpful! :D

Archived