7 day Greek Isle

s1kmad3

Hello all!!

This is my first post on this board as I have been doing a lot of research regarding our cruise in June. I've gotten a pretty good idea of what to do at each port but would like to get suggestions and tips from the more seasoned veterans! we are a young couple that enjoys food & alcoholic beverages, the outdoors (especially beaches) and are pretty athletic. We basically wanna let loose and forget about our worries and work!!

Here is our itinerary:

NCL Gem 7 day Greek Isle, Round-trip Venice, June 19-26

Split (8am-4pm)

Corfu (10am-6pm)

Santorini (4pm-11pm) - sunset & nightlife suggestions highly needed!!

Mykonos (8am-4pm)

Iraklion (7am-12pm)

All suggestions, ideas and tips are welcome!!

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!

Part of the problem is many of these issues have been discussed (numerous times) on this board and many of us sometimes get bored repeating ourselves (there is a search option where you can find most subjects). To be honest, we really dislike your itinerary (we have posted this before) not because of your ports but because of the time in the ports. We cannot help with Split but I will give you some quick thoughts on the others. Corfu - not my favorite port but you can take a bus (or even walk) into the city where you can go up to the fortress and just enjoy the town. If you want to see more of the island it is easy to rent a car right at the port and drive yourself..although the late arrival puts a damper on this option. Santorini - Given your time you should just confine yourselves to exploring the main town of Fira (this is where the cable car or donkeys take you from the tender poer) and you might also want to go to Oia (a 20 min bus ride or shorter taxi ride). Oia is more laid back than Fira, but is the place that has become famous for the sunsets. Mykonos - Many take an excursion to Delos (if you are into ruins). As to Mykonos, many enjoy walking around Mykonos Town and perhaps enjoying one of the cafes on the waterfront. We also like Mykonos as a beach-day and you can take the local bus from the town to Paradise Beach which has plenty of facilities, a nice sandy beach, and very swimmable waters. Your Iraklion visit is the main reason we dislike the itinerary. Crete is a fabulous island that is worthy of a week..not a few hours. And since most things do not open until 9 or 9:30 you essentially get a 3 hour port call. The best thing is to go to the Minoan ruins at Knossos. We would normally tell you to do this on your own, but the short port day makes a good argument to take the cruise ship tour. If you do not want to go to the ruins leave your ship at about 9 and walk around town and perhaps visit the excellent archaelogical museum.

Hank

I'm far from a "seasoned veteran" just travelling on the same itin. in September and have done quite a bit of research and just chiming in with some info that I have found for Split (thanks to other CC members for some of this info)

Diocletian Palace - you can get a guided tour if you want. Here is one tour company - you don't have to book ahead but note the tour times: http://www.diocletianpalacetour.com/

HOHO bus: http://www.visitsplitcroatia.com/time-table.php

map and some other suggestions: http://www.pondjumperscroatia.com/split-tourist-info/

Hlitner & Freckles_51,

THANK YOU both for your help/suggestions!!

Hlitner - I agree with you about Crete! Unfortunately I had no say in picking the Itinerary. My Mother-in-laws land banking business takes cruises every year and the CEO is the one who chooses what our Itinerary is :(

Hlitner & Freckles_51,

THANK YOU both for your help/suggestions!!

Hlitner - I agree with you about Crete! Unfortunately I had no say in picking the Itinerary. My Mother-in-laws land banking business takes cruises every year and the CEO is the one who chooses what our Itinerary is :(

Hmmm. If the company is buying then its the best itinerary in the world :)

I am on the same itn but for end of August. For Santorini do you think I will be able to make it to Oia before sunet? I google it and found out that sunset is around 6:45 - I am debating whether to stay in Fira or make it to Oia - by the time I tender in, take the cable car (or donkey) up to Fira and catch a bus (or taxi) to Oia I am afriad that I will miss the beautiful sunset.

Any thoughts?

Mykonos

Here's a great place for lunch in the Little Venice area. Great food and views. It's called the Venezia Fish Tavern, it's a very short walk from the tender pier. See image below.

Santorini

Visit the Santo Winery if you like wine. They make sure wonderful stuff.

http://www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1273

DSC00479.JPG.840b44ca4bc2f503f171c2413f1b754d.JPG

Archived