What to do IN Le Havre

SeaTheWorldBySea

All the info seems to be about how to get to other places from Le Havre.

Is the port a walkable distance to anything? What is there to see/do right in Le Havre?

We want some down time for ourselves (been to Normandy) and our grandsons before the next day when we begin a whirlwind 3 days in London. The rest of our group are going to Normandy, but we thought there might be SOME reason for us to get off the ship for a few hours.

You need to use a shuttle bus or taxi to get from the port into town. Once you are there we have no clue what you will do to have an enjoyable day, which is why most of us quickly leave this city for other places (generally in Provence).

Hank

You need to use a shuttle bus or taxi to get from the port into town. Once you are there we have no clue what you will do to have an enjoyable day, which is why most of us quickly leave this city for other places (generally in Provence).

Hank

Better check that atlas again, Hank :D

JB

Better check that atlas again, Hank :D

JB

LOL Been drinking to much of CC Kool Aid, It is kind of sad when I confuse Le Havre with Marseille :). But the message is the same as there is not much to do (for most cruise passengers) in Le Havre. We must admit that Marseille has a bit more charm, but that is not the question here. When it comes to Le Havre, most do flee the town for other places ranging from Normandy to Paris. On the other hand, perhaps what I said was a freudian slip since we love Provence :).

Hank

The tourist office has a website to give you an idea of what there is to do/see in the town. http://www.le-havre-tourism.com/ but it is fair to say that the area around Le Havre offers so much more and unless you already spent a couple of weeks or as a minimum several days in Normandy then there is going to be more to see and do which you would likely enjoy more.

We did actually wander around the town a little on our last trip.When we came back on the bus from Etretat we got off in the town centre then walked back to the ship from there instead of getting off at the terminus (bus station) There happened to be a rather fun art festival on, the "works/instalations" were distributed around the town, outdoors, and were fun to look at. There was all sorts there. On the bus to Etretat our route had taken us through more of Le Havre than we had seen previously and we had been surprised at the relatively attractive area around the gardens/Town Hall and we even drove past the town beaches. Having said that, without any special event, a couple of hours would likely be the most time you would spend there.

We spent an afternoon walking around and enjoyed it. I agree that there are other sights in the area that are more interesting but I would prefer walking in Le Havre to staying on the ship.

There is a TI at the dock. Is is a 20-30 min. walk to "downtown".

Thanks for the link edinburgher. I believe I had been there before - but gave up much too quickly. This time I spent more time and looked more closely. There is information especially for cruise ship passengers. http://www.le-havre-tourism.com/le-havre-port-de-croisiere/croisieristes/welcome-le-havre.htm. Included is a link to a review of a day in Le Havre, written by a cruiseship passenger. Also, a walking tour, with map.

Apparently the welcome center will have lots of good information for us. We will be able to find plenty to do for a few hours, and can walk (or even bicycle) the area.

Archived