I'm really discouraged...plateau

MamaParrotHead

I started WW on 1/2/05 and lost 15 pounds in 15 days. since then (1/17/05) I've only lost 1-2 pounds in 12 days (although I did have my period for 6/12 of those days)!!!! i haven't been doing anything different (with the exception of eating less...which I know could effect my metabolism, but I can't justify making myself eat when I'm not hungry). it's really starting to bother me and i'm losing my motivation. just needing some encouragement and ideas to break this stupid barrier. thanks.

Don't get discouraged. I have been at a plateau for several weeks. I think that I did good by losing one pound this week. Your body could be adjusting to a new metabolism. You may also be losing inches by gaining muscles. Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

I don't know how much you have to lose, or what method but you are using, but you are off to a GREAT start. I would be sining from the tree tops if I had lost 15 lbs in 15 days. Your body cannot keep losing at that rate. So hang in there and keep plugging away.

Another thought. How many calories are you consuming? If you cut too far back on your calorie intake you can actually lower your metabolic rate. You can put your body into a conserve the wieight mode because it thinks that you are experiencing a famine, so it is "trying" to save your life.

Good luck

Deb

and really love it. it's really easy now that I have established things I like on the plan and have my own plan in place. I eat within my point ranges, 3 small regular meals with a tiny morning and afternoon snack. I did start a Jazzercise regimen at the same time as my diet though, 4 times a week, so I'm thinking that maybe you're right about me losing the fat but gaining some muscle. and I feel really good, so that alone is worth it. I guess I'm just more obsessed with the number on the scale, which I need to worry less about.

thanks for the kind words and encouragement.:)

When I was losing my weight, I would plateau for up to 2 weeks at a time before I would drop a couple of pounds. Don't worry about it. Just keep on your plan (which sounds like it's working well for you!) and keep exercising. Also, are you drinking lots of water every day? Drink at least 64 oz of pure water daily.

How much do you need to lose? Could you be getting close to your goal? Those last pounds are hard to get off.

Muscle does weigh more than fat does. Did you take your measurements before you started? Are your clothes looser?

Lynn

Don't feel bad this whole month of January seems like a Plateau:( I have one day in the week that I might eat a little bit more than usual but still do at least an hours worth of exercise in that day and I gain 2 or more pounds. I end up back at that same number. Yesterday the scale did go down which was good for weigh in but this morning it was right back up 2 pounds:mad: With DH working out of town I have done extra exercising and been really much better than usual in my eating and the weight just want to stay where it is. Now don't get me wrong I am down almost 47 pounds from a year ago but I really want to loose another 15 by July and wanted 10 to 12 off by our March cruise and it just seems the whole month of January I went no where fast. All I can do is keep doing what I am doing and hope that it just magically comes off one morning.

MamaParrotHead - You are off to a GREAT start!!!!! Those are good numbers for the month of January!!!!!

First, plateaus will happen - just keep plugging away and eventually you'll start down again. Second, when I'm on a plateau, I try to drink a little more water and kick up the exercise a bit. Maybe add one extra day/week to your Jazzercise class schedule, or do 10 extra minutes with each session, or add a day of brisk walking around the neighborhood, you get the picture.

Hang in there - and here's hoping you'll be seeing some losing results in the next week!!!

I think you are doing fantastic!!! You were losing a pound a day!! :eek: Your body is probably trying to play catch up. Before you know it, the weight will fall off. Just keep on your WW and doing your exercising. Okay, now I need to listen to my own advice. ;)

and really love it. it's really easy now that I have established things I like on the plan and have my own plan in place. I eat within my point ranges, 3 small regular meals with a tiny morning and afternoon snack. I did start a Jazzercise regimen at the same time as my diet though, 4 times a week, so I'm thinking that maybe you're right about me losing the fat but gaining some muscle. and I feel really good, so that alone is worth it. I guess I'm just more obsessed with the number on the scale, which I need to worry less about.

thanks for the kind words and encouragement.:)

Let me say congrats so far, you are doing spectacular! But don't obsess with the numbers on the scale.

I have 3 suggestions for you. Without changing the number of points you eat, you might want to change around when you eat what -- maybe more protein or fat points would be better in the AM or in the meal you have before you excercise, or vice versa. Anyway -- just switch around the order a bit from week to week.

Second, if you exercise late in the day, like me, see if you can squeeze in a 10-15 minute walk ealier in the day a 2-3 days a week, to get your metabolism a little "revved up" earlier in the day.

And, third, I actually just picked this this one up in another thread and it makes a lot of sense -- on the days you excercise, consider eating just a little bit more, so your body doesn't think you're starving it. If you were counting calories, I'd say definitely no more than 75-100 "extra" calories on days you work out. Since you're doing "points" which I'm not really familiar with, be sure you hae ALL your points on work out days.

I'm a bit tied down to my schedule, starting about 7:00 a.m. I'm an inhome childcare provider and don't have lunch breaks or "after work" time to do anything with. and "after work" just means my clients go home and I have my own 2 small kids to juggle til bedtime. :o

I'll look into incorporating the other ideas into my routine and see what happens, though. anything's worth a shot.

thanks!

MamaParrotHead:

You will achieve your goal. That must be your guiding thought regardless of what doubts you allow to slip in.

Myth: Muscle weighs more than fat.

Fact: A pound of muscle weighs one pound and a pound of fat weighs one pound. No more, no less.

Myth: Dieting alone will result in one pound of weight loss per day.

Fact: 3,500 calories must either be burned or, based on your particular body type/size, a 3,500 calorie deficit must occur for one pound of weight to be lost.

Myth: Weight loss is 'fat loss.'

Fact: Weight loss includes weight only. No distinction can be made as to whether you are lossing fat, muscle, water, intestinal contents etc.

Myth: Restricting your diet to the bare minimum will get rid of the fat.

Fact: Your body will attempt to conserve the status quo by lowering your metabolism. (Lower heart rate, decreased resting muscle activity etc) You will likely loose muscle mass first which will further lower your metablic rate.

Myth: You have to feel hungry to be on a diet.

Fact: If you feel hungry for any amount of time, your body will be compensating by lowering it's metabolism.

IMO: sharonella's advice is right on target for getting you past your plateau. I would only add that any activity you can do that will increase muscle mass, which includes adequate protein intake, will get you back on track.

You can use the 3,500 calorie per pound of fat guide to estimate how many days it will take you to achieve your goal.

Paul,

Yes, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But then you have a density issue. Which would be easier to carry 20 pounds of cottom balls or tweny pounds of books. Same principal. It might weigh the same, but is doesn't take up the same amount of space.

Paul,

Yes, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But then you have a density issue. Which would be easier to carry 20 pounds of cottom balls or tweny pounds of books. Same principal. It might weigh the same, but is doesn't take up the same amount of space.

Deb in Cali:

Volume, as opposed to density, is the word you were looking for. In terms of density, there's a negligible difference between fat and muscle.

Fat distribution is what tends to cause people to have problems; fat cells act as one in that they all get larger, all remain the same size, or they all get smaller. Muscle fibers increase in size based on what muscle groups are used, which allows for specific areas of your body to be enhanced while others remain the same size.

When we gain a pound of muscle, we gain that muscle in areas we are using and that muscle gain helps us accomplish what we need to accomplish. Conversely, when we gain a pound of fat, we gain that fat in areas where fat cells exist and each fat cell increases in size or, in some cases, the fat cell divides. In MamaParrotHead's case, I would venture to guess that stress is causing her cortisol levels to increase, which prevents fat loss in certain areas of the body just as other hormones can cause fat to be deposited in certain areas of the body. To begin to control that stress, and thus the hormones released by stress, she must remain positive that she will reach her goal.

I am sorry if I come across as too serious or contradictory...Perhaps I should refrain from posting in the threads seeking motivation but I want to see MamaParrot succeed and she will only if she believes it.

I have some questions..

Is it true that muscle has a 'memory"? Meaning, I am bad about working out for several months, taking a month off, then going back..seems my muscles 'remember' where I left off and tone up faster.

Why is it there is cancer that originates in the blood, bone, skin, brain, organs, etc...but I have never heard of 'fat' cancer?

I read once that losing fat is like peeling a paper towel roll, that it comes off of us in 'sheets' like that. Verdad?

Do fit people tend to sweat faster, and more, because their body is conditioned to do so at the first sign of workout?

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance.

I have some questions..

Is it true that muscle has a 'memory"? Meaning, I am bad about working out for several months, taking a month off, then going back..seems my muscles 'remember' where I left off and tone up faster.

Yes, muscles progress faster when they have been toned in the past. To a degree there is a certain amount of chemical memory involved, as well as a mental picture of what the muscles should do therefore they will, but there's also a physical memory whereas formerly stretched areas will more easily allow for stretching back to a larger, more toned state than muscles that have not done so before.

Why is it there is cancer that originates in the blood, bone, skin, brain, organs, etc...but I have never heard of 'fat' cancer?

Cancer, in most cases, is extreme cell growth or division of cells into new types of cells. Fat cells aren't frequent dividers nor do they grow in the sense that other cells grow. Fat cells enlargen in physical size or containment. Interestingly, cancer also must have carbohydrates present in order to grow; you won't find many carbs stored in fat, but you will in areas where cancer is growing rampant.

I read once that losing fat is like peeling a paper towel roll, that it comes off of us in 'sheets' like that. Verdad?

All fat cells present in your body either gain, or loose, quantities of fat at the same rate. Therefore it could be preceived that the loss is in a sheet much like a paper towel.

Do fit people tend to sweat faster, and more, because their body is conditioned to do so at the first sign of workout?

Muscles generate more heat than fat. Fat acts an insulator therefore any heat that is created is retained longer. People who are muscluar, without excess fat for insulation, tend to dissipate the heat from their body much faster than someone who is more rotund so they cool off quicker. Whether muscular people sweat more depends on their degree of hydration as well as their particular temperature during workouts.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance.

Good questions!

What is the best way to get "REALLY" motivated to stay the course needed to drop that extra weight! I have been one of those Yo-Yo dieters for more than 20 years. It is almost like I have just excepted the fact that I am gonna be over weight. It doesn't help that many in my family are heavy. It is almost like that pass card, that we use to explain why we can't/don't use weight. I can start a diet and do well for a week or two, then it seems to all go down the drain.

Since I started a new diet with my daughter yesterday, does anyone have any advise how to stop the insanity of the circle I seem to be in?

I'm a bit tied down to my schedule, starting about 7:00 a.m. I'm an inhome childcare provider and don't have lunch breaks or "after work" time to do anything with. and "after work" just means my clients go home and I have my own 2 small kids to juggle til bedtime. :o

I'll look into incorporating the other ideas into my routine and see what happens, though. anything's worth a shot.

thanks!

Just a random thought. As an in home child care provider, maybe you can add a bit more excercise to your schedule AND the kids' schedule 1-2 times a week -- throw in a kid's music video or CD and DANCE for 10-15 minutes with the kids! Or teach them all those songs that have all the motions and arm movements and really get into it -- how about the hokey pokey? :D I don't have any kids myself, but I think there are some "exercise" vidoes out there for kids - lots of bending & stretching -- that might be approriate, depending the ages of the kids you care for.

What is the best way to get "REALLY" motivated to stay the course needed to drop that extra weight! I have been one of those Yo-Yo dieters for more than 20 years. It is almost like I have just excepted the fact that I am gonna be over weight. It doesn't help that many in my family are heavy. It is almost like that pass card, that we use to explain why we can't/don't use weight. I can start a diet and do well for a week or two, then it seems to all go down the drain.

Since I started a new diet with my daughter yesterday, does anyone have any advise how to stop the insanity of the circle I seem to be in?

Well, I know that for me, it is reminding myself that dieting is like being in AA, one day at a time. Without all those twenty four hour days adding up, there cant be any results. So, I think to myself, if I can just do very well for TODAY, I can beat this. Whether its twenty polunds or just five. I yoyo too. Being honest to myself is the only way I lose.

Another thing to motivate me is, well in six months i will be around. Will I be proud of the last six months? or not. Will I be fatter, or skinnier? Either way, June is gonna come.

Losing isnt so hard as MAINTAINING for me. I allow myself pigouts and being lazy on walking, but keep a scale around until it gets critical again. Then I get more serious, and lose the three or four lbs I might have tacked on.

Im really big on exercise. Without it, I only lose half the fat in twice the time.(or so it seems) With it, I can see more weight lost in a much shorter time. I walk three miles a day, and incorporate hills. Thats easy because I live in a hilly area. But I also like to walk to the interstate, and walk up and down the hill of the bridge that goes over it. Hey, I have great legs!:D

My work area is and has always been...belly fat.:(

Im an apple on a stick, but I keep working at it!!

Texaslady,

Thanks for your thoughts. I realize that I am not the only person who struggles with this issue. However, when it is "You" your mind lies and makes you think you are alone in your suffering.

After writing this morning and reading the other postings I have found some strength that I was saving for a special occasion. I think this is it. I have even taken the stairs three times down and back up at work. Just that little effort has given me a little pride.

Keep up your good work and thanks for your encouragement.

Paul - Your post was awesome! Thanks so much for the information!

Texaslady - I'm maintaining now myself and I agree that it is harder to maintain than it was to lose the weight. i think it's because we tend to give ourselves more grace when eating and exercising than we should and then the pounds start to creep back up on us. I still weight myself frequently and stick to an exercise routine faithfully.

Lynn

rdrseller --

The fact that you & your daughter will be doing this together can be very motivating. Lean on each other a bit as you go along & exercise with each other as often as you can. Keep a food/exercise diary and "compare notes" with each other.

I come from a "fat" family too -- my mom once weighed 250 at 5'1" and I was getting close. After yo-yoing for years, about 16 yrs ago she lost weight down to about 130 through walking and good eating, but with some other health problems, she has not been able to exercise and is back up to about 150. My sisters are mostly heavy. Two weigh less than me (and are probably no more than 15-20 lbs over their "ideal weight" because they work at it) and three weigh more than me -- and I weigh 200 (I'm 5'2") as of last week. (In Sept I weighed 220.) It's been easy to look around the room at family gatherings & feel "normal" even being so heavy. But both my folks are on meds for high cholesterol (hereditary -- even my otherwise healthy "normal weight" brother is on Lipitor) & high blood pressure. My cholesterol was up to 279 a few years ago -- I lost about 60 lbs and it went down to under 180. I unfortunately gained all the weight back, but still ate a lot less meat & cheese, so my cholesterol "only" went back up to 241. On Labor Day, I started dieting & joined a gym, and in October my cholesterol was already down to 195, and I'm getting it checked again this week. MY current motivation is to not stay like my heavier sisters, and to lose weight (and keep it off) at a younger age than my mom, so I don't have to have stents in my heart or a hip replacement. (If she never lost that weight 16 yrs ago, she might not have survived either surgery -- who knows?)

Anyway, after all that, my point is YOU need your OWN motivation, your own reason for losing weight & maintaining weight loss.

Good luck to you both!

Sharonella,

I guess the recent thing that got me thinking now MUST be the time. My daughter is 13 and I have always encouraged her to eat healthy, exercise and take care of herself. She dances 3 days a week and usually exercises at least two more days on her own at home. The holidays have caught up with her and she can feel it in her cloths. However, she told me that one of the guys at her school said "Why do you try, your mom is fat and someday you will be fat!" She was so mad and hurt for me. I sat her down and told her never feel sorry for me. I choose to eat and sit around. I know better and I remind her that I taught her the right way. She was embarrassed that I thought I was fat; I quickly corrected her and said, "I AM FAT!"

I guess that discussion made me realize, I know the right combination and have taught her. It is just about time I listened to my own good advise.

With all that said, I am glad that these post are here. You guys are better than any support group I have ever sat with. You’re honest and say what needs to be said. Thanks and I will post from time to time to let you know just how healthy I become. (The actual number on the scale is worthless!)

Archived