Lobster in Alternative Restaurant

JEDIKNIGHT

*yes* Food is subjective.

On my previous (first ever) X cruise I found most of the food to be very good. But the lobster in MDR I found to be rather tough and tasteless.

Not whining...as nice as X is it's still a "big ship" and for what X is charging I would imagine they have "value oriented" suppliers vis a vis lobsters...not to mention the freezing process. So no biggie, just decided not to order lobster in the MDR.

I've never been in an alternative restaurant on X.

Is the lobster better in those restaurants? I'm kind of a fatty ;) and if the quality is good, I'm thinking of booking Normandie on Summit, and SS United States Infinity multiple times during upcoming cruises.

We sailed on the Summit in 2008 and had a fabulous meal in the Normandi Restaurant. I completely agree with you that food is subjective! And, with that said, some background: my DH and I live in NYC and are foodies. Our daughter is the dining room manager of a highly rated NYC restaurant and our son-in-law has been a chef at many high end restaurants – he’s presently chefing for the Swedish ambassador to the UN. While we’re not experts, we’ve been badly spoiled enjoying many high-end meals. And, to us, the Normandie ranked right up there with the best – in both service and food!

We both had the same appetizer the Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle – it had been so highly recommended on CC that we broke our rule of ordering different items! It was fabulous and lived up to the recommendations! My DH had duck and I enjoyed the rack of lamb in puff pastry – again both were wonderful! For dessert my DH had a Coconut Crème Brulee and I had Chocolate Souffle.

We ate in the Normandie about the 3rd or 4th night of a 12 day cruise and vowed we’d be back. The problem developed that our MDR table of 8 was so great that we never want to miss that fun! But I wouldn’t hesitate recommending the Normandie – and we can’t wait to try the special restaurants on the Constellation in July!!

Now for lobster – it’s a ways from Virginia but there’s a wonderful “no-frills” place near Mystic, CT called Abbotts Lobster in the Rough! Very limited menu, no table service – order at the window and carry it to your picnic table (a few indoor tables!), and bring your own wine! But it’s got a great view on the river and the BEST lobster in the world!! So if you’re ever in the neighborhood….

Have a great cruise and hope you enjoy wherever you eat!!

I have been to Muranos a few times and to Tuscan Grill a couple of times. Lobster was not on the regular menu at either of these venues. Muranos did have a special one night which was a lobster dish and the lobster was definitely higher quality than the main dining room lobster. I know the menus are a bit different on the M-Class specialty restaurants, but I do not believe I have heard anybody mention that lobster is a regular dish there. X's specialty restaurants are incredibly good dining venues though, so even if lobster isn't an option, I still highly recommend having at least one meal there.

JEDIKNIGHT - We have eaten in Muranos on several ships and the Olympic and and they always have surf and turf. Make sure you ask for the full lobster tail or they only give you half a tail... You will love it. It is fine dining... Go and live a little...:)

JEDIKNIGHT - We have eaten in Muranos on several ships and the Olympic and and they always have surf and turf. Make sure you ask for the full lobster tail or they only give you half a tail... You will love it. It is fine dining... Go and live a little...:)

Oh, good to know. I had not noticed it on the Muranos' menu - I will have to look closer next time as I might give it a go.

Jedinight, I had the lobster in Normandie on our Summit cruise in December and it was awesome!!!! I actually got the filet and lobster tail and the filet was so tender you could cut it with a knife. I also second the recommendation for goat cheese souffle and chocolate souffle. Normandie is an excellent restaurant and well worth the extra cost. Go for it and enjoy!

I had the surf and turf in Muranos and you could get the lobster prepared in different ways like broiled or thermadore. I had the latter and it was fantastic.

Ditto! :)

Food is a personal choice and is very subjective.

My DW is well rated chef and has taught a few exec. chefs on the cruise ships too.

On Lobster is there any other than a Maine one..eh..?

No doubt about it..

Always ask if you may view the live ones too.

You never want to freeze a Lobster!

A lot of people do the pulling of Wool over peoples eyes...

On the Pay as You Cruise eateries.. they are a nice place and used to have what they present to you in the MDR before.. ..but needed more revenues so yes..

*yes* Food is subjective.

On my previous (first ever) X cruise I found most of the food to be very good. But the lobster in MDR I found to be rather tough and tasteless.

Not whining...as nice as X is it's still a "big ship" and for what X is charging I would imagine they have "value oriented" suppliers vis a vis lobsters...not to mention the freezing process. So no biggie, just decided not to order lobster in the MDR.

I've never been in an alternative restaurant on X.

Is the lobster better in those restaurants? I'm kind of a fatty ;) and if the quality is good, I'm thinking of booking Normandie on Summit, and SS United States Infinity multiple times during upcoming cruises.

Jedinight, I had the lobster in Normandie on our Summit cruise in December and it was awesome!!!! I actually got the filet and lobster tail and the filet was so tender you could cut it with a knife. I also second the recommendation for goat cheese souffle and chocolate souffle. Normandie is an excellent restaurant and well worth the extra cost. Go for it and enjoy!

I had that very same meal last week. The lobster was as big as a porterhouse. I was impressed. Tasted very good. I also had lobster from the MDR. Much smaller of course, but I'm not sure it was any worse. Just smaller.

Archived