QM tux rental

intrepid23

Could someone please advise me of how the tux rental operates on the QM2 transatlantic cruises (6 nights). Does one rent the tux for the whole duration and pay the 6 night rate or pay the 3 night rate because there are 3 formal nights. Do you keep the tux for the whole duration or do you return it inbetween? And what about the laundering of the shirt? Does anyone have this years prices?

Any information will be greatly appreciated as it will help us in our decision making. Thanks in advance. (by the way, taking one is not an option for us - we are travelling as light as possible):)

Could someone please advise me of how the tux rental operates on the QM2 transatlantic cruises (6 nights). Does one rent the tux for the whole duration and pay the 6 night rate or pay the 3 night rate because there are 3 formal nights. Do you keep the tux for the whole duration or do you return it inbetween?

You are charged per formal night, but keep the suit for the crossing. I would never rely on such a service as you cannot be sure what you are getting and whether it will fit.

You will need to take a tie as they only deal in ready made ones.

If luggage is an issue, take a single dark suit. It will do you for every night and every dress code.

Have you looked into buying a tux on Ebay? A lot of people purchase a tux, then realise they will only ever wear it the once and decide to sell it.

I think buying a second hand tux would be better than renting one from Cunard. If you buy second hand you will at least know it fits and you will not incur a big expense.

Could someone please advise me of how the tux rental operates on the QM2 transatlantic cruises (6 nights). Does one rent the tux for the whole duration and pay the 6 night rate or pay the 3 night rate because there are 3 formal nights. Do you keep the tux for the whole duration or do you return it inbetween? And what about the laundering of the shirt? Does anyone have this years prices?

Any information will be greatly appreciated as it will help us in our decision making. Thanks in advance. (by the way, taking one is not an option for us - we are travelling as light as possible):)

If you are in the UK then M&S do a reasonable tux if you only wear it occasionally. Or your nearest big town may have a branch of Slaters who do a good range at all prices from budget to ££££'s and they will alter the trouser length while you wait, for free. Either option will be more economical than hiring and as someone says above you then put it on ebay and get a few quid back. A decent white shirt will suffice if you don't want the expense of a special evening dress shirt.

Failing all that, as someone has pointed out, a dark business suit will do for all occasions.

A Parsimonious Gari

Here are rental prices I made a note of a while ago but they will be out of date now

Tuxedo rentals are available onboard; we are unable to pre-reserve or take orders.

Black Tuxedo Packages

1 night $85.00

2 night $125.00

3 night $170.00

4 night $210.00

5 night $250.00

Individual Items - Per Night

Black Jacket $37.25

Dress Trousers $30.00

Dress Shirt

Normal collar - sizes 15 to 19

Wing collar - sizes 15 to 18 $16.95

Bow Tie $6.95

Cummerbund $10.00

Handkerchief $5.00

Waistcoat $18.50

Here are rental prices I made a note of a while ago but they will be out of date now

Tuxedo rentals are available onboard; we are unable to pre-reserve or take orders.

Black Tuxedo Packages

1 night $85.00

2 night $125.00

3 night $170.00

4 night $210.00

5 night $250.00

Individual Items - Per Night

Black Jacket $37.25

Dress Trousers $30.00

Dress Shirt

Normal collar - sizes 15 to 19

Wing collar - sizes 15 to 18 $16.95

Bow Tie $6.95

Cummerbund $10.00

Handkerchief $5.00

Waistcoat $18.50

those prices are outrageous! :eek: i just rented a complete tux for a 28 night cruise on HAL (where there will be 8 formal nights) for $85. i've used their service before and been quite pleased.

If you are in the UK then M&S do a reasonable tux if you only wear it occasionally. Or your nearest big town may have a branch of Slaters who do a good range at all prices from budget to ££££'s and they will alter the trouser length while you wait, for free. Either option will be more economical than hiring and as someone says above you then put it on ebay and get a few quid back. A decent white shirt will suffice if you don't want the expense of a special evening dress shirt.

Failing all that, as someone has pointed out, a dark business suit will do for all occasions.

A Parsimonious Gari

you say you are travelling as light as possible do you have air transport to contend with or are you boarding in the u.k even if you are disembarking elswhere an ecess luggage fee may be less to contend with. an alternative is to have a suit made to measure by a tailor in hong kong and posted out to you.

I lost 20 lbs in the last year so I could again wear my 20 year old tux. I prob paid $400 for it, I did buy a new shirt at J C Penny which came with cummerbund and tie for $30. They have a tux for $200. I am on the 22 April wb. My tux and suit go in a carryon hang up bag. If I couldnt fit in my tux, I couldnt fit in any of my dark suits either.

Larry(olga was my Swedish grandma who came wb in 1900)

Those rental prices truly are outrageous! Depends where you are purchasing, but you can get a really good tux for excellent prices in many places.

A couple of years ago I was in NY before a cruise and realised my tux was ruined - rushed off to Maceys and found a tux I liked, even though it didn't have a price on it - it was such a nice one I was expecting it to cost anything up to $1000 - imagine how happy I was when the person at the till told me it was $120!!! It is still my favourite tux, even though it is by far my cheapest - and it's amazing how many things you suddenly find that you can attend in one :D

If your in the US, You can buy a servicable used tux at one of the tux rental outfits, Make sure its not threadbare, and have it cleaned and it will be fine for the few days you need it aboard. Joseph A Banks, also has reasonable tux separates if your going to wear it more than one trip.

Mike

Thanks to everyone for your input.

We had really hoped that renting would be the best option as we were willing to pay for the convenience of not having to lug around cumbersome clothing on a four month trip but based on your comments and other considerations, he has decided to... take one dark suit, one white shirt (rent or clean inbetween), and a few ties. Can he get away with wearing a straight black tie on formal nights?

Congrats to Larry for losing 20 lbs!!! :D

... he has decided to... take one dark suit, one white shirt (rent or clean inbetween), and a few ties. Can he get away with wearing a straight black tie on formal nights? ...
A dark suit, a white shirt (not a pleated tuxedo shirt!), and a conservative necktie will be fine. And he won't be getting away with anything; he'll be satisfying the dress code for formal nights.

I would suggest though, since he's already planning to bring more than one necktie, that he bring two white shirts. Why pay extra for same day laundry service?

If you go on to http://www.cruiselineformal.com you will see that you can rent various gents evening wear for the cruise. They hire to various cruise lines including Cunard. For $85 you can hire:

•Black jacket and matching pants

•2 White Wing Collar Shirts

•Black Cummerbund & Bow Tie Set

•Cufflinks & Studs

They also have other packaages available.

We have used this Company before when sailing both with Royal Carribean and Princess and were very impressed both with the fit and quality of the suit. Hope this helps.

Archived