Would you choose Princess or NCL?

Latteluver

Princess hands down.

Heard the food is awful on Norwegian

Agree. The very first cruise we took was NCL, and the food almost caused us to never cruise again. It was so bad we were bringing fast food on board from the ports. Our TA convinced us to try Princess, and we've been cruising ever since.

Gotta love these people weighing in with zero experience? I heard.... :confused:

I've sailed NCL 3 times and just returned from my first Princess. I've got no problem with either. The atmosphere is different, NCL is more upbeat like RCL or CCL. Princess is subdued. We were on the Pearl last spring and the buffet was the finest I've had in 9 or 10 cruises... I'd give the main dining room nod to Princess. I'd give production shows the nod to NCL. I'd give the nod to Princess for lounge shows. I'd also give ship design the nod to NCL (I hate dead ends). I'd give pool deck design to Princess (more pools and more spread out). I prefer the Princess decor. But I do like the whimsical signs on NCL, like, "Don't throw your butts overboard, we get complaints from the fish".

All things being equal (price and itinerary), it would honestly be a coin toss for me.

Exactly. My experience with NCL was great food in the up-grade restaurants but garbage in the main dinning room and buffet. And lines for everything. My NCL cruise was 12/08 and I'm not yet ready to give them another chance.

That was our experience with the NCL Spirit I got off that ship saying , "NEVER cruising again" Dh booked us on the Diamond and had to sweet talk me onto the cruise I got off that cruise asking when the next cruise was??

You couldn't pay me to go back to NCL.

Thanks for your replies. I think that one of the strengths of Cruisecritic is the diversity of experiences and opinions!

Our children are 16 and 9.

I think we are leaning towards booking with Princess for several reasons:

1. The Freestyle dining on NCL suited them but we also like the idea of dressing up for dinner. It adds to the fun of the holiday!

The food on NCL was ok but I have certainly had better.

2. We also like the itinery being offered by Princess especially as it goes from Southampton. We did this the last time and the beginning of the holiday felt far more relaxed than having to fly. Sadly NCL are no longer based in Southampton.

However does anyone know how the excursion prices compare?

We found NCL to be very expensive. We did all our trips independently and this was fine but an organised tour of Rome would be great.

We are Princess loyalists who have sailed NCL when they offered an itinerary that Princess doesn't have, and honestly, we find them to be fine. The main difference, to us, is that we found NCL to be way more casual, in both dress and atmosphere. On Princess, most people will adhere to the formal nights (or eat in the buffet), and will dress nicely for the other nights. On NCL, we found the passengers to be dressed VERY casually. You may like this or you may not, but you should at least be aware going in. Also, the food in the MDR on Princess we found to be a definite step above NCL, but we certainly didn't go hungry, and we did not leave the NCL ship saying "Never again" as apparently some have. Overall, I would say that if you don't mind the dress code, you will love Princess!

Just comparing cruise line to cruise line, I would say Princess and Royal Caribbean hands down as the top two contemporary lines. But, as some pointed out, it all depends on itinerary. POA is definitely the best way to see Hawaii, for example. So, if there is a particular itinerary that one line has that another doesn't offer, then there is no choice. You do the itinerary that you want.

Last year DW and I took our DGD on an NCL cruise. We figured she would enjoy the kids programs in port. Not so. On that particular ship the kids programs opened one hour after we left port. We had a port day each day so there were no kids program during the day for the entire cruise. I don't know if that is typical with NCL or just that ship. We know that Princess and Royal have programs available for kids on port days, so, if that is something important to you, check that before you select your cruise.

I really like NCL's 24 hour dining option. I think it is one of the best, if not the best offered. But, their regular dining is at least one cut below, if not two cuts below, most other cruise lines dining. No one cruises because of the "snacks" offered, but, it's nice to have something good available.

I enjoy cruising and will enjoy my next NCL cruise, but, all things being equal, NCL would be my 5th or 6th choice.

Thanks for your replies. I think that one of the strengths of Cruisecritic is the diversity of experiences and opinions!

Our children are 16 and 9.

I think we are leaning towards booking with Princess for several reasons:

1. The Freestyle dining on NCL suited them but we also like the idea of dressing up for dinner. It adds to the fun of the holiday!

The food on NCL was ok but I have certainly had better.

2. We also like the itinery being offered by Princess especially as it goes from Southampton. We did this the last time and the beginning of the holiday felt far more relaxed than having to fly. Sadly NCL are no longer based in Southampton.

However does anyone know how the excursion prices compare?

We found NCL to be very expensive. We did all our trips independently and this was fine but an organised tour of Rome would be great.

Ship excursions on all lines are expensive; especially so in Europe. If you don't want to do it yourself (Rome is easy from Civitavecchia by train), I suggest joining your roll call and getting together with a group for a private tour. If you have enough people, the private tour will be cheaper than a shore excursion (generally around 8-10 people is where you start to get savings) and you will also have a more personalized tour with a smaller group.

Just a note regarding winel. NCL is very strict about any outside wine, it is simply not allowed, ever.

They lost me on that one after an otherwise beautiful Hawaiian cruise with them.

that's just not true. Your allowed to bring wine aboard, you just pay a corkage fee whether you drink it in your cabin or MDR-doesn't matter you pay $15 a bottle.

Wow, to those who say "never again" on NCL.....can you say exactly what is SO bad about it? I can't imagine ever saying that about a cruise. I'm really curious because they offer a 7 day Bermuda itinerary that I may be interested in. The most common compaint seems to be about the MDR food....what is so bad about it?

Are there any positives for NCL that Princess can't beat?

I am an NCL loyalist who just switched to Princess for the May 27th sailing out of New York. The ship sails to Bermuda, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan. The only choice I had with NCL was Bermuda only or Florida/Bahamas. There was no choice between these 2. Plus we got such a great deal that we paid less for the Princess than we would have for the NCL. Can't wait to try a new line. Maybe Princess will hook us!

Hi, my little family are fairly new to cruising. We went on the Norwegian Jade a couple of years ago and the children loved it. We are looking to cruise again but are thinking of going around the Med on the Grand Princess. My dilemma is which is better: NCL or Princess? I would appreciate any comments, thanks.

I've sailed NCL 3 times (Jewel-class ships) and Princess once. It seems NCL is a bit more informal (fine with me), and I like their beds, bathrooms, and thermal spas much better than Princess's. However, on NCL there are more annoying announcements about bingo, encouragement to buy this and that, etc., and dining is, IMHO, much better on Princess. We never felt the need to go to one of the specialty restaurants to get a good meal, and the service everywhere on Princess was excellent. I have no problem sailing either one again. :)

This is an interesting thread for me. My husband and I are elite with Princess and absolutely love this cruise line, although we have sailed with others. HAL is a close second.

We recently completed our second Princess Hawaii cruise, RT from LA. Because Princess eliminated Kona, one only gets to 4 ports. We love the sea days, but would like more time in Hawaii.

We kept noticing the NCL ship (POA) at various ports. They, in our opinion, have a great 7 day itinerary with 2 overnight ports. We have discussed trying this cruise, but have been scared away by reviews of NCL.

We are wondering if it would still be worth it to try this cruise simply for the itinerary. Any comments?

Judith

I have cruised Hawaii 4 times (NCL 2X and Carnival 2X) and used to live there many moons ago. As well as many land vacations there-too numerous to count.

Yes, the POA is a great cruise! But I must admit it is totally different than a normal NCL cruise. Much more casual. It has an American crew which has it's pros and cons.

We were fed well, had our cabin cleaned daily, nightly entertainment, Napali coast sail by as well as the volcano sail by at night. The 2 overnights in port were great.

You need a vacation before and after this cruise. I recommend doing a few nights before and after the cruise to experience Honolulu and rest up from the flight and the cruise. :D It is so port intensive you are always on the go.

If you want to really experience Hawaii do POA.

I simply can't understand the people who come on here and post when they have never been on NCL. They just post to say I heard this and heard that. Totally useless posts in my opinion.

This was posted on the Princess board. I think this should also be posted on the NCL board to get an true sampling of opinions.

I have been on 6 NCL and 6 Princess. I love both lines. Love Carnival too (gasp!) Each cruise line has its pros and cons. I think it has a lot to do with attitude as well.

:):(We have sailed 5 times with NCL and had a great time with each cruise.

We have sailed 2 times with Princess and had a great time with each cruise.

I would sail with both of them again. I think that Princess had a little bit better food than NCL.

I think the prices are better on NCL than on Princess. It depends on the itinerary.

We just booked a British Isles cruise with Princess for 2011 and I would have booked it with NCL if they had the same itinerary and it probably would have cheaper on NCL. But because NCL did not have the itinerary I was looking for we chose Princess. Shopped around for a good price and got $1000 off our Princess cruise with an on-line discount travel agency.

Happy sailing.:cool::cool:

We have cruised both Princess and NCL and have found Princess to be our favorite...we just like the whole package and atmosphere.

Princess allows wine to be brought on board with no charge, but on last NCL cruise embarking in Barcelona, Spain no charge for 2 bottles in carry-on. Not the norm.

Ncl seems more casual and was chosen by us for price and or itinerary.

Food seems to be a toss-up, as quality has changed for the last cruises we have taken on both lines.

Princess allows wine to be brought onboard with no charge if you drink it in your cabin. NCL charges $15 a bottle. I still have a bar bill, but it's nice to have a drink on your balcony without having to be subject to paying for the priviledge. Princess treats you like an adult; not so with NCL. NCL also bugs you with numerous announcements for bingo and in the theatre they hawk pull-offs.

I am among those that thinks there is good and bad with both lines. The worst cruise we ever took was an Alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess - she was dirty, the cabin steward was just plain rude and the food in the MDR was terrible. For a few years we would only cruise with NCL. I think the food in the main dining room is good - though we do splurge and do the specialty dining rooms a few times - NCL does the specialty dining much better than Princess. We had some friends invite us to join them on a coastal cruise on the Sapphire Princess this past year and we thought the ship was wonderful. We returned this March and did a Mexico cruise and again it was wonderful. So I think for me the itinerary and price would be the major concerns, and in your case, the kids program....

I am an NCL loyalist who just switched to Princess for the May 27th sailing out of New York. The ship sails to Bermuda, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan. The only choice I had with NCL was Bermuda only or Florida/Bahamas. There was no choice between these 2. Plus we got such a great deal that we paid less for the Princess than we would have for the NCL. Can't wait to try a new line. Maybe Princess will hook us!

I'm in the same boat (pun totally intended:p) I love NCL but I did the Spirit last year, will do the Dawn next year and 9 nights on Princess with a better itinerary was cheaper than 7 nights on a Fl/Bahamas cruise that I've already done 3 times. I'm bringing the in-laws for their first non-NCL cruise and I hope they like it,

on price increases, the free cappucino is not anymore, the welcome champagne is gone too. So all the Apollo upgradesthat we got a list of last year are gone. So being Platinum on Princess & Silver on NCL, I decided to go back when a FLASH PROMO happened giving us a Carib cruise on Crown for under $500 PP. So CO air miles for RT flight for 2 & Hilton certificate for free Hampton Inn North Port for the night before cruise & my BD 4/25 onboard. We bought a BG guarantee & in 2 days were upgraded to a Caribe balcony with expanded balcony with half covered. My TA states we could get a mini or a true suite by the time we check in.

I'm in the same boat (pun totally intended:p) I love NCL but I did the Spirit last year, will do the Dawn next year and 9 nights on Princess with a better itinerary was cheaper than 7 nights on a Fl/Bahamas cruise that I've already done 3 times. I'm bringing the in-laws for their first non-NCL cruise and I hope they like it,

I posted this on the NCL Forums, as well as another Cruise Message Board in the beginning of February on my return from the Emerald Princess - hope it helps:

I have sailed on NCL 4 times and just returned on Sunday from the Emerald Princess. This is what I posted on another message board regarding my Princess experience.

Embarkation: A total breeze. We got there about 10:30, Boarding Group #1. Sat down with our health forms and settled in with our Kindles. At 11:45 they called us. The seperate the desks by floor, we were Caribe and nobody ahead of us. Gave in the forms, and Credit Card. Were handed our room keys and we were off. Embarkation Photo then our first card swipe onboard took our picture for the key cards.

Cabin: We had a BB Category Balcony AFT view. The rooms were ready on embarkation. Closet was an awesome size and open. Shower was a stall with a curtain - TOTALLY SUCKED!!!! I had to open the curtain and extend my legs to the toilet to shave them. Flooded the bathroom many times. Size of the bathroom was good though. Cabin had a Queen bed, desk, fridge, extra chair and a flat screen tv. Balcony was AWESOME and HUGE. Cabin was a good size for 2.

Food: This is where I think NCL is better. One night I couldn't even recognize the food on the menu for the MDR. It was horrid. Buffet was good, not to well laid out (compared to the NCL Pearl) and we could never figure out when it was open. Had dinner there twice and breakfast 4 or 5 mornings. Eggs were good and Bacon was standard cruise Crispy stuff (my favorite). Pastries (the 1 or 2 that I did have) were good. MDR breakfast was good too. I think we ate lunch in the MDR once or twice and it was good. Dinners were ok, I had grilled Chicken (on a bone), Beef Wellington (NCL's was better) and Sliced Turkey - Wasn't crazy about it, in fact didn't even finish it. Deserts were all good.

Entertainment: No Rock or Tribute kind of bands. They did have a quartet and elevator music (live) in the Piazza in the evenings. Didn't go to any shows. Went to the Newlywed / No So Game and that was funny...standard stuff NCL has.

Pools: There were 3 - 1 by the Sanctuary (Quiet Zone), 1 at the MUTS Screen (Family) and 1 AFT (Adult ONLY). We sat at the AFT pool one afternoon for a hour or so, but that was it. There is a nice bar back there, but there were some rowdy passengers making distasteful comments to a Bride and Groom having there photos taken.

ROOM SERVICE: Slow as anything. Food was a limited menu, but good. We had late lunch / dinner from RS twice.

MUTS: Movies under the Stars - was really cool. They played movies during the day and in the evenings. They showed the football game on embarkation day. They give you a blanket and have a Popcorn Cart and come around with Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies. We saw Julie / Julia. I liked it.

Ports:

St. Maarten - We rented a car with another couple and drove all over the Dutch and French Side. Then we walked on Front Street and the Boardwalk checking out different stores. They had the sidewalk vendors too.

St. Thomas - Larry and I took a cab to Coki Beach so he could snorkel and he loved it. Took a cab back to the downtown and shopped, bought our duty free booze and cigs and got back onboard.

Grand Turk - We got off and went to the right of the pier. That is where the snorkeling was. Larry said it was ok, St. Thomas was much better, but he did fine.

How'd I do? I think I will only choose Princess if the price and itinerary were there for me. Most of the food was good, I gained 5 pounds and everyone was friendly, but much more Formal. Otherwise I would choose NCL Suites. Maybe because I am more familiar with NCL.

This was my response to a question of why I would choose one line over another

Prior to my last cruise I always sailed in a Mini-Suite and after this cruise I came to truly appreciate the Tub and the Shower Door on NCL. Comparing the price for this cruise in a Balcony Class cabin and the Penthouse Suite that I have booked for next year, they price the same and I am getting so much more on NCL.

I really didn't notice any difference in the taste of the food - It is all mass cooked with incredibly high salt contents that make me swell like a balloon. One thing that I didn't mention on Lobster night Larry ordered the Lobster and it came with Jumbo Prawns. He tried to order an extra Lobster Tail and the waiter told him to eat what he gets and then if he was still hungry he would get another Lobster Tail. Logical to minimize waste, but I think on NCL he ordered 2 or 3 extra and got them right away. As it turned out he liked the Prawns better than the Lobster, and tried to order more. The waiter took the order and then a little while later came back and said he couldn't do it. If Larry wanted more he would have to order another entire meal - Lobster, Prawns, Potato, Vegetable.

Also, Princess doesn't carry Cheerios. I have always thought no matter where I went that Cheerios were a staple. If I had known before I would have brought a box with me, I wouldn't have minded.

We attended a fruit carving, flower arranging and towel animal demonstration one morning in the Piazza, but they don't put towel animals in the cabins. Strange, but for me Towel Animals are part of the cruise experience and I had even mentioned it to our Room Steward Jeffrey how much I liked getting them.

I hope the above doesn't come across as nit picking, because I really am easy to please but I really did miss my Cheerios and Banana for breakfast and the fun of coming back from dinner to a Towel Animal.

Hi, my little family are fairly new to cruising. We went on the Norwegian Jade a couple of years ago and the children loved it. We are looking to cruise again but are thinking of going around the Med on the Grand Princess. My dilemma is which is better: NCL or Princess? I would appreciate any comments, thanks.

We have been on NCL 3 times, and just got off of Princess for the 5th time. This was our first time on Princess since 2004, and if I were to chose between NCL and Princess, I would do NCL. It has much more to offer kids, and the ships are much more fun. The average age on our Cruise on Princess had to be around 65!:eek:

It all depends on what you and your family like to do or experience. I haven't been on NCL but have friends who love it. Princess is a different cruising experience from NCL. You can have Anytime dining but there is a dress code and formal nights when you are expected to dress up or use one of the alternative restaurants or buffet, including kids. There are more elderly on Princess, particularly on a Med cruise. There are also more countries represented on a Princess Med cruise, i.e., there are more Brits, etc. You'll get beds, food and entertainment on both but it's like the difference between a **-star hotel and a ****-star hotel.

Yeah with NCL being the 4 star! We were disappointed in how bad Princess had become over the course of 6 years! NCL is much nice in decor, activities, amentities, and staff. The shows are much better on NCL, as are the kids activities! I also didn't feel like I was on a floating nursing home with NCL.

I hope the above doesn't come across as nit picking, because I really am easy to please but I really did miss my Cheerios and Banana for breakfast and the fun of coming back from dinner to a Towel Animal.

Well, if those are your reasons for picking a particular cruiseline, so be it. :rolleyes:

As for my own opinion on NCL vs Princess: Unfortunately, I took one NCL cruise many years ago and had a truly horrible experience. I am sure NCL has changed for the better, but I am not going to risk trying them again. I realize everyone says food is "subjective" but more people rate the food lower on NCL than any other line, and it is a fact that NCL spends less $$$ per passenger on food than any other line.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

Well, if those are your reasons for picking a particular cruiseline, so be it. :rolleyes:

Wow, that was a snarky comment if I ever saw one. Kind of uncalled for as well. To be perfectly honest I only re-posted that post because someone on the Princess boards asked about comparing the two lines. I really don't care what your opinion, or anyone elses for that matter is regarding NCL. It is the cruise line that works for me and my family and we feel we get the best value for our money.

Perhaps you only half read, or possibly skipped over some lines in my synopsis of the 2 lines, since you obviously had a such a bad cruise on NCL and why should anyone else have a good one.

I will refresh your memory - these were in my post:

1. I think I will only choose Princess if the price and itinerary were there for me.

2. Comparing the price for this cruise in a Balcony Class cabin and the Penthouse Suite that I have booked for next year, they price the same and I am getting so much more on NCL.

Wow, that was a snarky comment if I ever saw one. Kind of uncalled for as well. To be perfectly honest I only re-posted that post because someone on the Princess boards asked about comparing the two lines. I really don't care what your opinion, or anyone elses for that matter is regarding NCL. It is the cruise line that works for me and my family and we feel we get the best value for our money.

Perhaps you only half read, or possibly skipped over some lines in my synopsis of the 2 lines, since you obviously had a such a bad cruise on NCL and why should anyone else have a good one.

I will refresh your memory - these were in my post:

1. I think I will only choose Princess if the price and itinerary were there for me.

2. Comparing the price for this cruise in a Balcony Class cabin and the Penthouse Suite that I have booked for next year, they price the same and I am getting so much more on NCL.

I'm sorry, I must have misread your post. I thought you were quoting from two different posts you had made and I was referring to the second half, which you said was "Why I would choose one line over another." The last sentence sounded like a summary. Again, no harm meant.......to each his/her own.

No doubt there is value to be had by cruising NCL; the prices are generally lower, allowing you to upgrade to better accommodations onboard. However I question whether for me (please note my qualification and do not flame me :cool:) the "value" is really there if I am unhappy with other aspects of the cruise, particularly food.

Some other research:

Conde Nast Traveler ranked NCL 10th out of 10 on their list of "top 10" large-ship cruise lines for 2009. The only major line not on the list is Carnival. (Princess was 8, perhaps not a huge difference, but still....)

Road & Travel magazine rates NCL as "chrome" and Princess as "silver" in their 3-tier ranking system ("platinum" being the top category).

Also, generally you will find NCL listed as either a "mainstream" or "budget" cruise line, while Princess is listed as a "premium" or sometimes "upper mainstream" cruise line. See, for example, here:

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/Cruise-distinguish-between-cruise.html?id=15734

and here:

http://***************/cruiseline_profiles.htm

I loved our Grand experience in the Med!

Jan

Archived