need help quickly

judiek

Hi all....I need to prove a point to someone.....One of my coworkers will be going on her first cruise soon.She asked me which is better as far as motion is concerned.I said I have always read and experienced the lower cabins the less motion.I am not sure I convinced her.Can you guys help me out with what you know and have expercienced yourselves

Thanks

hstrybuff , I have WAY too much to worry about! I'm sure you knew that if you read my thread that got pulled! :D

On a more serious note.....I'm a bit concerned about motion sickness....but I'll drug myself if it becomes a real issue. Our JS is near the aft. :rolleyes:

Robyn, I have motion sickness very badly and take a Bonine every morning. If the water is extremely rough I take another one in the evening. The trick is you have to take Bonine BEFORE you become sick. Many people take it several days before boarding the ship. I have never had to do this. However it can be purchased in chewable tablet by the generic name Meclizine at stores such as Walmart. It's free on the ship at the pursers desk or the medical facility. Hope this helps.

Hi all....I need to prove a point to someone.....One of my coworkers will be going on her first cruise soon.She asked me which is better as far as motion is concerned.I said I have always read and experienced the lower cabins the less motion.I am not sure I convinced her.Can you guys help me out with what you know and have expercienced yourselves

Thanks

We always book low and middle. Think of the ship kind of like a teeter-totter: the ends move more than the middle. If the seas aren't rough, you probably won't see much difference anywhere on the ship. They roll except in calm seas. I, personally, enjoy the feeling of the rolling, expecially at night. I have only been on one cruise where it got rough. That was not as enjoyable.

Robyn, I have motion sickness very badly and take a Bonine every morning. If the water is extremely rough I take another one in the evening. The trick is you have to take Bonine BEFORE you become sick. Many people take it several days before boarding the ship. I have never had to do this. However it can be purchased in chewable tablet by the generic name Meclizine at stores such as Walmart. It's free on the ship at the pursers desk or the medical facility. Hope this helps.

Hi Trish,

Thanks for the excellent advice.....I already bought Bonamine a few weeks ago and was actually going to wait until I was sick to take it....but now you have me wondering if I shouldn't start on it the day before? I don't suffer from any kind of motion sickness at all......so I'm curious if I will be susceptible on the ship? Also, is Bonamine safe for kids? My DD is 8 :) ( She reads and sleeps in the car while it's moving and goes on the most nauseating roller coasters and never has any issues!)

Robyn, I was given the info about taking Bonine BEFORE you were sick by the ship's nurse on my first cruise. Don't take the chance of missing any part of your cruise by being sick! :eek: Deb is right check, with your pediatrician. I believe it says on the label 12 years of age or older.

Motion sickness typically hasn't bothered children that I have seen. If you don't have problems with motion sickness anywhere else you may not have a problem on board.

Bonine and Dramamine are children safe just check with the Ped. to see if you need to give full dose or half. DO NOT give dramamine to children though even though it is safe it will knock them out. I did this by doctors orders and gave my 8 year old a dramamine before a helicopter ride in Hawaii. Needless to say we didn't have to worry about him getting sick as he was snoring and did so for almost half the day.

I would suggest that you get on the ship and see how you feel if you start to get the slightest twinge in your stomach take something wait 20 minutes and you will be fine. I have only had to take bonine once. Rough seas and was in the shower closed my eyes to rinse hair and we hit some rougher areas. Got out felt sick took bonine ate some chips and went on in about 20 minutes I was fine.

If you get motion sick on anything My family suggests the patch.

Taking Bonine the night before you board and again just before the ship embarks will help you out in advance in case you do hit rough seas. Keep in mind, that rough seas are often felt right out of port once entering and crossing the gulf stream.

Another thing that will assist is ginger tablets (buy them at GNC). These will help if you feel nauseous right then and there. People say ginger ale has helped as well.

As far as the ship rocking. Best cabin location is low deck, mid ship. Make a + out of 2 pens and move them around with the horizontal being the deck and the vertical being front, middle or back of the ship. First make it a "T" and rock front to back and side to side. Side to side is really bad compared to the bottom (invert a "T" and see how it does). Move the pens around in all different configurations noticing how the more you keep the cross point centered and low, the less the motion is.

Robyn,

You'll be fine.I have always been very prone to motion sickness.I even have to use something in Disney World for some of the rides.I was on deck 9 in the middle.I took a half bonine early in the morning before boarding and the seas started to get rough in Cozumel so I took another half in the afternoon and the other half of it at night and was fine.The ships are a lot more stabilized than they used to be.A few years ago I had to take one every day.

People say ginger ale has helped as well.

Yes, and no. You're right, plydude, that ginger ale does help. However, not your typical Schwepps-type of ginger ale. There is so little actual ginger in the commercially available brands that it really doesn't do a lot of good; ginger is expensive, so they use a lot of artificial flavoring. But if you go to a health food store and look for brands with real ginger in them, it does work. I can't remember the brand, but I tend to buy one of the "Ginger Beer" variety. It has a much sharper taste than your typical ginger ale, so it might not be for everyone. But check the label. You'll want one with real ginger relatively high on the list of ingredients.

Were I to choose a commercially available soda to settle my stomach, I go for Classic Coke. Not diet Coke. Not Decaffinated Classic Coke. Full on, Classic Coke. Many a hangover has been happy to have that in the house. It isn't magic. And it isn't as good as the health food store ginger ale. But sometimes I can't face the taste of ginger, in the same way that I can handle a Coke. The Classic Coke does help, though. If memory serves, Coke syrup was first developed by a pharmacist as a medication. All I know is that it does help, if you don't have other alternatives.

Two types of ginger ale I prefer.

:D Vernors,:D

One of the best and usually easy to find. When my brother and I were kids, my Grandpa would only "allow" us to have any for "medicinal" reasons. I had no idea it might help motion sickness, but then Grandpa was always right.

"but I tend to buy one of the "Ginger Beer" variety"

:) Stewarts,

A very good ginger beer. There is no alcohol just marketing a name I imagine. We buy it to mix with a very good rum (can't remember the name) that comes from the Bahamas. This brand does contain quite a ginger blast/kick. :eek: :eek: Tasty though!

The issue about ship's movement is a simple math fact. The roll center is low in the ship's hull. For any given roll/rocking side-to-side, the higher the deck the more movement when compared to the decks closest to the roll center.

Archived