Cruising Carnival With 2 yo

mkluvs2cruise

We will be going on another family cruise in May. Our kids are 2 and 11. Not worried about the 11yo being bored, but need help with the 2 yo. On ourr last cruise with her, we tried dropping her off at Camp Carnival the second day and because she cried to the point of making her sick, we had too pick her up within about 3 minutes and were told she was not allowed back in unless we got her cleared from the infirmary. I know she was only "sick" because of the crying and I do understand their view as well(norovirus) but they didn't even let us take her in there to try to get her settled. We did go there to register her and went to one of the activities in the disco and she had a ball(all this before the episode) so we thought she would enjoy it. My question is what can we do to get her better prepared to go in there just so my DH and I can have a few moments together once in awhile. Im not saying we plan on keeping her in the whole time. It is a family cruise and we plan on them being around a lot of the time.

We have been trying to show her pictures of it online and talking about the activities they will be doing without mommy and daddy and she gets excited. She has never been to daycare and acts this way for about 5 minutes or so until she gets used to the environment. Any ideas to help would be appreciated.

I would take her and the 11 year old to babysitting the first night. (In my experience, kids 2-11 will be together for babysitting the first night.) That way she can get used to being away from you, but with her sibling. They could just watch movies and hang out. Your 11 year old should like it OK as there are other games, snacks and such and might even meet some friends.

Did you ever take her to the infirmary? Our son (3) has never been to day care, but he loves Camp Carnival. He spends alot of time there and out of 10 cruises they have called us once due to a loose bowl movement and said he had to be cleared by the Dr. before he could return. He did indeed go #2 in his pants, but it was obvious to us that it was not due to sickness. He was 2, not potty trained, had a loose BM which was normal for him, and continued playing. The Camp Carnival staff had their hands full as it was a holiday, our son never said anything and by the time anyone noticed, it was all over his pants. We brought him to the Dr. and the Dr. laughed and said he was fine and signed the form. He had no fever or runny nose or anything. There was no charge since CC told us to send him. We knew it was a normal (for him) BM that just leaked, not any sickness. You can just tell, just like you knew that your daughter wasn't really sick. Anyway, we sent him back and he had a blast.

It's a little soon to really start this now, but I would recommend finding things around town you can drop her off at. Church nursery, Mom's day out, etc. And then just drop her off without going in to get her settled to get her used to it. I also immediately tell whoever the nursery worker is what his favorite toy is (any kind of car) so if they put a car in his hand as soon as possible, he will be okay. Then I have to worry about getting him to leave the car in the nursery after the fact because he won't let go of it.

Did you ever take her to the infirmary? Our son (3) has never been to day care, but he loves Camp Carnival. He spends alot of time there and out of 10 cruises they have called us once due to a loose bowl movement and said he had to be cleared by the Dr. before he could return. He did indeed go #2 in his pants, but it was obvious to us that it was not due to sickness. He was 2, not potty trained, had a loose BM which was normal for him, and continued playing. The Camp Carnival staff had their hands full as it was a holiday, our son never said anything and by the time anyone noticed, it was all over his pants. We brought him to the Dr. and the Dr. laughed and said he was fine and signed the form. He had no fever or runny nose or anything. There was no charge since CC told us to send him. We knew it was a normal (for him) BM that just leaked, not any sickness. You can just tell, just like you knew that your daughter wasn't really sick. Anyway, we sent him back and he had a blast.

I just know this is going to happen to us. My son would be on a liquid diet if he could get away with it, he drinks so much milk. So, of course, his BMs are very loose almost always. He also won't tell anyone, so maybe I should let them know they need to be diligent in checking.

Stop trying to "convince" the child...keep her with you, unless she wants to go to the club...I was a "shy" kid, too..and would have thrown a major fit if I'd been left there...do NOT force her or try to "talk it up'...it will only make her NOT want to go...

Sorry--some kids are just difficult!

I would take her and the 11 year old to babysitting the first night. (In my experience, kids 2-11 will be together for babysitting the first night.) That way she can get used to being away from you, but with her sibling. They could just watch movies and hang out. Your 11 year old should like it OK as there are other games, snacks and such and might even meet some friends.

Thanks for the tip. We didn't take her to ine infimarybecause we knew nothing was wrong with her and didn't want to incurr a charge, but now that we know they didn't charge you, I will definitely do it next time!

Stop trying to "convince" the child...keep her with you, unless she wants to go to the club...I was a "shy" kid, too..and would have thrown a major fit if I'd been left there...do NOT force her or try to "talk it up'...it will only make her NOT want to go...

Sorry--some kids are just difficult!

First off, I am not trying to "convince" her to go. Secondly, as I previously stated, it is a FAMILY cruise AND we do want to spend time with our kids, BUT it IS a VACATION and I would like for her (2) to be able to INTERACT with other kids. She even cries like this when we take her to my sister's because she is only used to being with us or my husband's mom. but after a few minutes, my sister is able to calm her down with princess toys.I am not trying to start an argument here and am only looking for some advice on how to get her interested. I know it would be something she would enjoy and if she finds that she doesn't want to go, I am all over her being in the pool with us.

It's a little soon to really start this now, but I would recommend finding things around town you can drop her off at. Church nursery, Mom's day out, etc. And then just drop her off without going in to get her settled to get her used to it. I also immediately tell whoever the nursery worker is what his favorite toy is (any kind of car) so if they put a car in his hand as soon as possible, he will be okay. Then I have to worry about getting him to leave the car in the nursery after the fact because he won't let go of it.

Thanks for that tip! I really just want her to be able to interact with the other kids! She loved it when we went to the little disco dance that they have for kids her age and was fine when we went to register her. I honestly think that if they had tried to calm her down, it wouldn't have made her sick.

Camp Carnival closes from 12-2 for open play time, mainly for parents with kids too young for Camp, but others can use it, too. Even though our 2 1/2 year old daughter loved Camp, we took her to it one day for some play time with her.

Maybe if you take your daughter to the open play time on the first day, she'll become familiar with the Camp room and be more comfortable staying there.

I know it would be something she would enjoy and if she finds that she doesn't want to go, I am all over her being in the pool with us.

Uh - there are no pools on Carnival that will permit a child who is not potty trained. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this list but you might have missed it. Just something to consider. But I do agree with MMScruise about taking her to the open play times where you can be with her until she gets comfortable with the area.

Uh - there are no pools on Carnival that will permit a child who is not potty trained. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this list but you might have missed it. Just something to consider. But I do agree with MMScruise about taking her to the open play times where you can be with her until she gets comfortable with the area.

My daughter has been potty trained since she was 18 months so i hardly think that will be a problem.

MMScruise, I think thats an excellent idea about bringing her during open time. It might make her want to play even with us not therre just like when we take her to the park.

Archived