Who has the best food/restaurant in Orient Beach?

Berk987

Suggestions? We're taking the Bernard tour and will need to eat at some point since we have kids age 4 and 6 with us. Thanks.

I'm sure Bernard knows some good spots...If you can find a good lolo (bbq stand) that's be the cheapest, and probably the best non sitdown type meal around. Lolo #6 in Grand Case, for example is excellent, but that's across the island. Galion Beach just below Orient has Chez Pat. The beach is great for kids. Zen Cafe is another spot on Orient Beach just before Galieon, with a variety of salads and wraps and some offers for kids. Rancho del Sol isn't on the beach but has great views, salads, pizza and a kids menu. Also Paradise View, with great views, icecream and crepes.

I am curious to know this as well. My DH and I will be wanting to stay on the topless side of Orient Beach and wondered when we take a taxi, where should we be dropped off so we are near a good restaurant?

Berk987,

Seriously, you're 200+ days out and planning where to eat on Orient?

I predict that there will be half a dozen or more closings and (hopefully) as many new openings of bars and restaurants along Orient by then. The slow season of September/October is especially hard for them, but by the time you visit many will have opened.

ahawco,

You don't mention when you're cruising, but the same would apply.

For both,

I would suggest that you take my Virtual Walk Along Orient Beach, posted here, and get a feel for the beach.

You can see many of the restaurant menus if you zoom in.

In general, I would suggest that anyone be dropped at Pedro's, near Club Orient, and then just walk along the beach looking for chairs/menus/services that appeal to you and settle in.

gary

p.s. I will add that Orange Fever has received many great reviews and I will definitely check them out on my next visit if they survive the season's turnover.

We tried several beach restaurants in February and thought they were all good. Some are higher priced, and some have better service, but overall we enjoyed them all. We just walked along the beach and checked out the posted menus until we found something that sounded good.

We shared a grouper sandwich at Orange Fever at a table in the sand and had a great time. For those who care - there were topless diners at each of the places - at least when we were there. For a unique dining experience we enjoy lunch at the southern most restaurant, Papagayo's, on the beach in Club Orient.

gtaylor - - thanks for the pictures of Orient Beach.

Loved the walking tour thru pix.

Anyone know if there is seaweed along the entire beach? Do any of the places rake the beach in front of their areas??

Thanks for your input.

Re: Seaweed. Yes, and yes.

There is seaweed (or sea grass) along various sections of the entire beach from time to time.

It depends on the season, the weather and the tides.

Most places try to rake it up when they can. Club Orient has a giant tractor-mounted rake.

gary

Thanks, Gary, for your quick response. I'm glad you're on Cruise Critic and have so much knowledge about St. Maarten/St. Martin that you're willing to share.

Awesome!!! Awesome resource.

BTW: I emailed Joyce to see if she was available for the day we stop in St. Maarten. Hopefully she will be able to help us out.

If not, can you recommend a car rental agency at the pier that has cars close by? I posted a thread regarding the same topic.

I do not want to take a BIG tour with LOTS of other people. I either want to do a private, small tour or rent a car and do our own thing.

Of course, having a tour guide is ideal because I won't have to worry about driving. But if I have to, I have to :)

Thanks again for your help regarding our stop in St Maarten.

Here is one of my favorite places at Orient Beach.

http://andyandcherylbaywatch.com/

The place is now known simply as "Andy and Cheryls". The back wall has a small "Baywatch" sign. Same good food and service, NO plastic taken. Bring cash, preferably greenbacks, as they price Euros 1 to 1 to the dollar.

Also, they still have a lot of the license plates and NJ signs hanging around the place.

DH and I spend a week on Orient Beach every summer and have eaten at just about every beach bar on the strip. Our hand's down favorite is Kokomarina -- great Caribbean food with a French flair! Chez Leandres has some nice Creole dishes and wonderful seafood salads as well. We like Andy & Cheryl's Baywatch for breakfast, but the lunch menu (though delicious) is typical Italian American fare. If you want something more Caribbean/French fusion, try Kokomarina!

DH and I spend a week on Orient Beach every summer and have eaten at just about every beach bar on the strip. Our hand's down favorite is Kokomarina <snip> If you want something more Caribbean/French fusion, try Kokomarina!

If you visit so regularly, then perhaps you might be interested to learn that Kokomarina restaurant has (long) been sold (it is now Aloha) and Koko and Marina have opened a new restaurant, on the other end of Orient Beach, named Palm Beach. It's in what used to be refered to as "The Mystery Building". Photo here.

gary

If you visit so regularly, then perhaps you might be interested to learn that Kokomarina restaurant has (long) been sold (it is now Aloha) and Koko and Marina have opened a new restaurant, on the other end of Orient Beach, named Palm Beach. It's in what used to be refered to as "The Mystery Building". Photo here.

gary

Are you serious? We were just there last March (about 14 months ago -- which I don't consider a "long" time ago) and had three wonderful meals there during the week we were visiting! I guess we'll have to give the new place a try when we go back down there this summer.

Koko and Marina have created Palm Beach as a high-end beach bar catering largely to the French. The days of 1 euro = $1 are long gone. For lunch you need reservations and must be suitably attired. It's a restaurant and not a beach bar. Presentation of the food is very nice, the wait staff are good, but it could easily take 90 minutes to have lunch. Prices are not cheap.

It's worth a try....once.

In past years we would spend 3 weeks at KokoMarina with reserved front row beach lounges. Now with Aloha, they will toss you out if you bring a cooler with food and beverage. They want you to buy everything from the beach bar.

So now we've got a new spot, where you can bring coolers, have reserved lounges and great drinks. Times they are a changing!

Thanks gary! Endless days of sand gravity.

Had dinner with Joyce and enjoyed the most wonderful curried goat! She's just the best person ever! She said to say hi to gary.

Anything new happening on the beach at the end near Pedro's. We will be there the middle of June.

Thanks in advance.

Other than the beach bar ownership game of musical chairs, not much change currently. The travelling fish feeder cycles the beach about 3 times a day feeding the angel fish. The big thing stirring up the locals is that the French plan to charge 5 euros per car entering the Orient Beach area and restrict local vendors. The Gendarmes frequently set up check points on two of the exits from Orient (none on the upper hillside exit tho). They're checking documents for locals and breath tests for sobriety on all others. 4-5 late day shooters encouraged me to hand the car keys to my DW. She was just tickled to death having to drive the SXM roadways with me in the passenger seat. Better that than me getting free room and board in Guadeloupe.

The two big boats calling on St. Maarten mid-week makes Orient pretty crowded.

Also met a lovely human who has won four Wicked Weasel photo contests! You go Casey!!

Other than the beach bar ownership game of musical chairs, not much change currently. The travelling fish feeder cycles the beach about 3 times a day feeding the angel fish. The big thing stirring up the locals is that the French plan to charge 5 euros per car entering the Orient Beach area and restrict local vendors. When will this be implemented??? The Gendarmes frequently set up check points on two of the exits from Orient (none on the upper hillside exit tho). They're checking documents for locals and breath tests for sobriety on all others. 4-5 late day shooters encouraged me to hand the car keys to my DW. She was just tickled to death having to drive the SXM roadways with me in the passenger seat. Better that than me getting free room and board in Guadeloupe.

The two big boats calling on St. Maarten mid-week makes Orient pretty crowded. The Solstice will be alone when it docks

Also met a lovely human who has won four Wicked Weasel photo contests! You go Casey!! And where are the photos of this lovely young person?

May just take a cab if the 5 Euro entrance fee is in effect.

Suggestions? We're taking the Bernard tour and will need to eat at some point since we have kids age 4 and 6 with us. Thanks.

given you will be at orient beach they might have hotdogs...whoops...but they could be attached to a body part...sorry couldnt resist :0

...When will this be implemented???

...You go Casey!! And where are the photos of this lovely young person?...

Implementation: This is still in the rumor stage, but word has it will not be implemented until next year. But the French operate on a different frequency. With major budget needs, it could possibly occur sooner than later.

Wicked Weasel: Google the term and once you get to the clothing site, select the "Galleries" tab, then "bikini contest". Search for the named human being.

Implementation: This is still in the rumor stage, but word has it will not be implemented until next year. But the French operate on a different frequency. With major budget needs, it could possibly occur sooner than later.

Wicked Weasel: Google the term and once you get to the clothing site, select the "Galleries" tab, then "bikini contest". Search for the named human being.

I remember now we had a discussion last year on the meaning of wicked weasel and I did explore the term via Google and did admire the outfits.

...>>>SNIP<<<...Also met a lovely human who has won four Wicked Weasel photo contests! You go Casey!!

Casey has 1) a nice collection of WW suits and 2) some interesting tatooes in some uhhhh..... interesting places. Wonder what language the tatooes are in.

I remember now we had a discussion last year on the meaning of wicked weasel and I did explore the term via Google and did admire the outfits.

That's all my DW wears! :D By now I should own stock in the company.

Casey has 1) a nice collection of WW suits and 2) some interesting tatooes in some uhhhh..... interesting places. Wonder what language the tatooes are in.

She's a real kick too! Her DH is really into the apparel and doesn't refer to a particular item by color and style, but rather by style number. :) They were shooting more images with her at Orient for submittal.

Archived