Which Itinerary along the Amalfi Drive would you recommend?

deadzone1003

Currently, we have a van booked for a tour of the Amalfi Coast. Their advertised route is Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. However, we can decided the route. The van will pick us up at the port area of Naples. As I far as I can see there are basically 3 ways of touring the Amalfi Coast.

1) From Naples we can take the autostrada to Salerno and come up the Amalfi drive, visiting Amalfi or Ravello first and second, then Positano, and finally Sorrento and back to the ship.

2) Is just the reverse of 1) - From Naples we head to Sorrento first, then Positano, then Ravello or Amalfi as 3 and 4, then head back to Naples on the autostrada.

3) From Naples we head towards Sorrento and start on the Amalfi Drive and when we get to Ravello, we reverse our path. Basically going over the Amalfi Drive back to Naples.

We have about 8 hours in our tour which is on Monday, May 24. I know that route 3 is the slowest. Most of the passengers in my van like the idea of route 3. The question is: Is it doable in May? I suspect it may be impossible in July and August. We are willing to have a quick lunch though at a venue with great views. We are even willing to skip Sorrento. The two towns that we really want to see is Ravello and Positano. Any comments?

We did a day here with Francesco Marrapese in 2008--from Naples--first to Pompeii, and a guided tour about 2 hours--then by Sorrento (no stop) to Positano (lunch), Amalfi, and Ravello, then back to the ship. Everything was spectacular!

I would say itinerary #2--the most spectacular views are down to the water, and this way you're driving on the outside. #1 takes you relatively quickly to Salerno, but then along the cliff road on the inside. As far as #3 is concerned, I would say that this will be a spectacular, long, intense day--this will take up lots of time, and be repetitious, and will be a case of 'been there, done that'--IMHO. However, you do have a nice day planned out--our day was a bit rushed due to the 2-3 hours that Pompeii requires (but we loved it!)

Kevin

I would head south (well, actually it's East if you want to be technical) on the coast road, for exactly the reason mentioned by numbersix: you'll be on the side of the road closest to the water, with nothing impeding your view.

Also, going that way allows you to judge your timing re the return route. If it's getting late, you can take the autostrada back. If you have time, you can return along the coastal route.

When I drive myself these are the kind of issues that get my attention. However, when you hire a professional guide/driver we suggest you listen to his/her recommendations. However, if you plan on spending time in Sorrento (my least favorite place on the coast) you need to be cognizant that many of the stores will close in the early afternoon and not reopen until much later (around 4 pm). So, most would suggest going first to Sorrento and then along the Amalfi Coast to Positano, then continue on the Amalfi Drive to Amalfi and finally up to Ravello. If you are only going to drive the Amalfi Drive one-way this is the better route since you will be driving along the coast side of the road for much of the journey.

Hank

I agree with your first choice doing Ravello, Amalfi, Positano having lunch there (we stopped at "La Tagliata" Restaurant where we had an amazing lunch with a great view at 25 Euro) and Sorrento at the end. You will enjoy it and is possible to do that in one day:)

Currently, we have a van booked for a tour of the Amalfi Coast. Their advertised route is Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. However, we can decided the route. The van will pick us up at the port area of Naples. As I far as I can see there are basically 3 ways of touring the Amalfi Coast.

1) From Naples we can take the autostrada to Salerno and come up the Amalfi drive, visiting Amalfi or Ravello first and second, then Positano, and finally Sorrento and back to the ship.

2) Is just the reverse of 1) - From Naples we head to Sorrento first, then Positano, then Ravello or Amalfi as 3 and 4, then head back to Naples on the autostrada.

3) From Naples we head towards Sorrento and start on the Amalfi Drive and when we get to Ravello, we reverse our path. Basically going over the Amalfi Drive back to Naples.

We have about 8 hours in our tour which is on Monday, May 24. I know that route 3 is the slowest. Most of the passengers in my van like the idea of route 3. The question is: Is it doable in May? I suspect it may be impossible in July and August. We are willing to have a quick lunch though at a venue with great views. We are even willing to skip Sorrento. The two towns that we really want to see is Ravello and Positano. Any comments?

Archived