Problem a Scottish TA

Sirius Cruiser

Our friends have a deposit on a PG cabin on QV and are wait listed for a Q6 for a cruise in 2011. Several days after they put down their deposit for the P1, another agency (who had booked a block of Q6 cabins) had one Q6 left, which was far LESS expensive than the P1 and with ship board credits too. I am talking about several thousand USD. But the first agency will not refund their deposit and will keep it if our friends take the Q6.

...Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this sticky problem?

I take it , this is for an early 2011 cruise as the later ones dont go on sale untill monday/tuesday.

I dont think you can a thing about this problem, omce the deposit is paid thats it, you will lose it if you cancel.

You could try asking them again, try to see if they can get the sam eprice or near to it.

or

If they lose the deposit and rebook with the other agent they still come off better, depending on the new agents reduction.

let us all know what happens and good luck.

hopefully someone may be able offer more positive advice on this

Our friends have a deposit on a PG cabin on QV and are wait listed for a Q6 for a cruise in 2011. Several days after they put down their deposit for the P1, another agency (who had booked a block of Q6 cabins) had one Q6 left, which was far LESS expensive than the P1 and with ship board credits too. I am talking about several thousand USD. But the first agency will not refund their deposit and will keep it if our friends take the Q6.

I'm slightly confused by your mention of US$.

Is this a UK booking which your mention of Scotland implies, or a US booking?

If the former, then there is nothing that can be done. UK deposits are not refundable. You may be able to get the booking transferred to a different agent, but that would be all.

If a US booking then the whole thing is refundable, unless (presumably) you have previously agreed some other terms. Some agents may charge a small fee for their trouble, but not in the same league as a lost deposit.

I don’t know about the UK policy, but in the US deposits are fully refundable up until the day before the final payment is due. Being that your cruise is in 2011 you should have only made the minimum deposit.

The agency sounds like a gang of bullies, but the agency may have their own terms and conditions that could work against you in the cancelation; you should request the terms and conditions of the agency.

If you ring Cunard they will speak to you about their policy in general but may tell you that being the booking is made through an agent you must work through them to do anything (changes/cancellation) on the booking. But I do suggest you ring Cunard in the UK to have their policy clarified to you.

Of course CUNARD itself returns deposits booked directly with them if it is prior to 90 days before the cruise (unless one books a nonrefundable cruise which I have never actually seen even seen).

Then you are at the mercy of the agent and THEIR terms. Which you should request a copy of if you havent already done so.. its YOUR right to do so.

Good luck... sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Booking conditions are here:

http://cunard.co.uk/uploads/Booking_Conditions_April_2010.pdf

The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior

to the commencement of the Package via their travel

agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling

our Reservations Department, but in that event

Cunard shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge

as a percentage of the fare paid in accordance with the

following scales.

Up until 57 days before departure charge = the deposit

Booking conditions are here:

http://cunard.co.uk/uploads/Booking_Conditions_April_2010.pdf

following scales.

But it appears as their agent wont return their deposit .. I think the passengers may have agreed to the agent's terms which may include a no refund policy.

Deposits are handled differently in the UK and the US, which is why this thread is becoming confused - in the UK, it is usual for deposits to be forfeited should the customer change their mind after paying it. This seems to be what is happening here.

As another poster said, the only solution may be to lose the deposit, assuming that the gain made would considerably outweigh the amount lost.

Peter

Deposits are handled differently in the UK and the US, which is why this thread is becoming confused - in the UK, it is usual for deposits to be forfeited should the customer change their mind after paying it. This seems to be what is happening here.

As another poster said, the only solution may be to lose the deposit, assuming that the gain made would considerably outweigh the amount lost.

Peter

Thank you Peter. But Originally Posted by Ray66 ... Booking conditions as on the UK site state:

http://cunard.co.uk/uploads/Booking_...April_2010.pdf

following scales.

So we are back in a confused state. Is the agent asking for the levy that Cunard is charging or the entire deposit?

but in that event

following scales.

So we are back in a confused state. Is the agent asking for the levy that Cunard is charging or the entire deposit?

Are the levy and the deposit not one and the same thing in this instance?

The way I read this is that before 57 days, the deposit is forfeit - this is normal in the UK.

Peter

Are the levy and the deposit not one and the same thing in this instance?

The way I read this is that before 57 days, the deposit is forfeit - this is normal in the UK.

Peter

Peter you are correct... I checked the UK site as I was a bit confused by the wording and found the levy is the full deposit.

I suggest the OP ring Cunard and see if a transfer would work as suggested by Rafinmd

Looks like the only way to not 'lose' the money would be to get the TA to ask Cunard if it can be transferred to a deposit for a future trip - they would probably agree to this as, despite the fact that they would be getting the deposit money anyway, it is a guarantee of more money in the future.

I was thinking that the travel agency was the one keeping the deposit, not Cunard. In the US Cunard doesn't start keeping part of the fare until within 90 days. I would think Cunard would be happy to transfer the deposit for its passengers. Actually, these friends of ours travel with Cunard very often (WC, around SA, transAtlantics...) For that matter, the travel agency will lose their business for all future travel - and that of their friends too - if they play hard ball like this. There must be some way to reason with them.

But right now, we're eating in different restaurants!

We had a problem a few weeks ago in regard to loosing a percentage of our money when we thought we may have to cancel. We had only just booked and paid the full amout as this was due.

Our TA rang Cunard just to check the situation if we needed to cancel and was told that we would lose 45% and they would not consider using the money as part payment off a future cruise that was already booked.

Luckily we did not have to cancel. I was disapponted that they would not consider our suggestion because they were still going to get the money. They said no no no.

Catherine

I was thinking that the travel agency was the one keeping the deposit, not Cunard. In the US Cunard doesn't start keeping part of the fare until within 90 days. I would think Cunard would be happy to transfer the deposit for its passengers. Actually, these friends of ours travel with Cunard very often (WC, around SA, transAtlantics...) For that matter, the travel agency will lose their business for all future travel - and that of their friends too - if they play hard ball like this. There must be some way to reason with them.

But right now, we're eating in different restaurants!

Unfortunately, under Cunard's terms and conditions on the UK tariff, deposits are non-refundable. That is Cunard UK. Deposits are also only 10%, versus our 25% in the US.

Our finals are due 90 days prior, UK finals 60 days.

Is it possible to transfer the booking to the second travel agency? I know that under some circumstances that is usually possible with some lines here in North America, though I'll admit I've never done it, nor been the recipient or target of it. If Cunard allows you to transfer the booking to the new agent, perhaps they can swing some magic.

Is it possible to transfer the booking to the second travel agency? I know that under some circumstances that is usually possible with some lines here in North America, though I'll admit I've never done it, nor been the recipient or target of it. If Cunard allows you to transfer the booking to the new agent, perhaps they can swing some magic.

Good idea and worth a try.

Archived