Questions re Antarctica cruise options on PA II

luxury-lizard

We're currently booking on a High Arctic trip on the PA II in August and are now thinking in terms of an Antarctica trip as well. So here are some questions for those in the know:-

1. 11 day versus 17 day trip - which would you recommend - the 17 day trip includes South Georgia - I've seen some older posts indicating South Georgia is a must see.

2. We're looking at either the Nov 10 or Dec 8 trip - is Nov too early? We could not go any later than Dec 8 due to other plans in January. At this stage we don't even know what the availability is on these trip - will call tomorrow when TA's are open.

3. I've read the seas can be VERY rough - what have others who have made this trip found?

4. I noticed on SS's web site that you must take their mandatory return charter flight from BA to Ushuaia at a cost of $750. Does anyone know if this is really mandatory - what if we want to arrive in Ushuaia earlier. Also, just doing a quick search on Expedia I found significantly cheaper commercial flights.

Many thanks for any input and tips, Pat

I have just come back from 17 days trip in last March. I consider 17 days is not enough to see everything. I would do a 20-22 days or so if it was possible.

I hope to upload my complete review today.

South Georgia is definitely a must see place, it is unique.

I got seasick twice, but I am always sick when travelling.

The mandatory fight is the only bad thing about the entire journey with SS. You can stay in Ushuaia, but you will pay the fight anyway.

We will do the opposite. We are planing going to the artic with SS in 2011.

We're currently booking on a High Arctic trip on the PA II in August and are now thinking in terms of an Antarctica trip as well. So here are some questions for those in the know:-

1. 11 day versus 17 day trip...

2. We're looking at either the Nov 10 or Dec 8 trip - is Nov too early?

3. I've read the seas can be VERY rough...

Many thanks for any input and tips, Pat

1. It's a tradeoff; neither itinerary is perfect. The 17 day includes South Georgia which is supposed to be incredible, BUT it's a long way out of the way. It takes a bloody long time to get there, adds lots of sea days, and that sacrifices time in Antarctica. I think the 17 day trip only spends 3 days in Antarctica - which is a very short window of opportunity. If the weather is suboptimal, you'll risk missing most of your landings. We did the 11 day which spends a whole week in Antarctica. I didn't feel shortchanged for wildlife sightings... But we'll probably do South Georgia at some time in the future. What about a B2b? :D

2. We did Dec 7th this year which was borderline early. Only one penguin chick the whole cruise; tons of eggs and nesting. The whales were just arriving; we saw some but probably would have seen more later. It was still spectacular, but I bet the wildlife will be even better a bit later. However, earlier in the season the snow is cleaner, and there is less penguin guano accumulated in the rookeries... I bet the weather will be iffy in November, but then again, weather is iffy all year...

3. Seas are a total roll of the dice. Drake was calm about 50% of each of our crossings, and 4-5m swells the other half. The Drake is completely unpredictable... We were quite calm once we reached the South Shetlands, and I think this is fairly much the norm.

Can't help you with the feasibility of declining the "mandatory" SS BA<-->USH flights. We did them. Not the most fun part of the trip, but they worked. LAN does fly there (in fact, our "Charter" was a LAN flight that SS bought out).

I hope to upload my complete review today.

Looking forward to seeing it; hope you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did!

JP and Chris,

yes we had only 3 days in Antartica and 8 sea days. That´s why I consider 20-22 days a more reazonable cruise to visit Antartica, South Georgia and Falklands. The price difference is not that much compared to 17 days.

Because of that we are considering going back in 2013 in my 50th.

• 2 weeks later...

We tried to remove the mandatory charter charges with our travel agent and also with Silversea directly but we failed. I could have arranged for this myself at less than half the expense. Sure don't understand the policy.

Update on our situation - we decided to give 2010 a miss as we felt that Nov 10 was too early and the Dec 8 cruise was pretty much sold out and it's the 10-day cruise.

We are now looking at 2011 - PAII has a 17-day cruise departing Nov 25 but the less expensive cabins are already sold out - Vista and upwards only left. We're thinking about putting a deposit on this one - will decide this week. We are also now looking at an Abercrombie and Kent option on Le Boreal - only they have not published their 2011 schedule as yet. BTW _ they also do the charter flight but it seems to be optional - but don't quote me on this.

As a 'consolation' for 2010 we've now booked a trip to Patagonia which will include a short cruise on Via Australis in the Chilean fiords.

Have you looked at the Orion for Antarctica ? They go to Mawson hut. I will be able to compare both boats ( Orion and PA II ) after our Arctic cruise this August. My husband is also thinking we might do the PA II Antarctica cruise as well some time 2012.

Ann

Archived