Torn between Locando Orseolo and Hotel Ala

rrobynec

Back in October, I booked the lovely Locando Orseolo, the highest rated B&B on TA.

Sadly, in Nov I was job eliminated, but had booked my non refundable airfare just 13 days before.

I was going to Venice and on my cruise.

I decided that since I am on a low budget, I should probably see if I can find a cheaper hotel in Venice.

The hotel that was my fall back--Hotel Ala (Best Western) was available, and would be $143 less.

It also has a good rating on TA.

I am so torn.

I'd do what you need to do. They are 2 different experiences but both will give you an opportunity to visit Venice!

Locanda Orseolo has always been more expensive than what I would choose to spend in Venice but I have still had a wonderful time there!

May not be what some purists want to hear but, if you want to save a lot of money, stay in Mestre. It is the city on the mainland, 5 minutes from Venice by train. You don't wake up in Venice but, you can save 40 or 50 euros per night.

We have been to Venice several times so the last time there, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bologna. Great hotel. Great breakfast included. Great prices. http://www.hotelbologna.com/

There is a train every 10 minutes and it costs 2 Euros. The train station is right across the street from the hotel so it was super convenient.

There are many B&B/small hotel choices IN Venice that are reasonably priced. If you want to experience Venice there is no need to spend a fortune.

The 2 choices you mention are not the only possibilities.

Each to his own, but Mestre is not Venice It is an industrial city on the mainland.

There are many B&B/small hotel choices IN Venice that are reasonably priced. If you want to experience Venice there is no need to spend a fortune.

The 2 choices you mention are not the only possibilities.

Each to his own, but Mestre is not Venice It is an industrial city on the mainland.

It was a suggestion to save money and have a place to stay, not to visit Mestre. And yes, I also said, it was not like waking up in Venice.

As I mentined, the train station is across the street so getting to Venice and back again is easy. The smaller B&B's are very small and share bathrooms. They really need to be checked out. In Venice, you really get what you pay for, as a rule (there are exceptions), pay a lot get a nice place, pay little, you get little.

We stayed at a lovely hotel in Venice that I would recommend in a minute. It was quite reasonable, but that was two years ago so things could have changed. It had a lovel atria where you could have your breakfast (included) in the mornings, or enjoy late afternoon cocktails. Just 2-3 blocks from St. Mark's Square. It is the Hotel Flora, and you can find them on the internet if you search Hotel Flora (don't remember their web site exactly). I would recommend that you take a look. I for one love being right in the middle of the action. It is great getting up early and walking the streets when no one is up yet. Oh to be going back this year....

Good luck.

I appreciate sharing ideas and your suggestions.

Before I booked the L-O I had considered Mestre, and had a list of about 12 "possibles" and really did my homework.

I had narrowed it down to the L-O and Hotel Ala. The L-O was a splurge even without loosing my job, but the Hotel Ala had a no refund policy. At the time, I didn't have my airfare booked, and when the L-O had a vacancy, it seemed like the right thing to do.

Well, surfing around I came on a great rate for the Hotel Ala--90,00E.

So, I am now booked at the Hotel Ala.

So, for anyone who is looking to book the L-O on Aug 12 and 13, there is now a vacancy.;)

Archived