Katakolon - Olympia train

bromcom

Hi

I'm a total newbie to cruise and I'm so glad I found this forum :)

Our cruise takes in the Ancient Cities and one of our ports of call is Katakolon,we dock at 8am and we plan to get the 08:36 train to Olympia. The cruise departs Katakolon at 1pm and so plan to get the return train from Olympia at 12.05 arriving in Katakolon at 12.48.

My main concern is how reliable the train times are, especially the return journey. Are delays common or are the trains bang on time? Please could someone confirm. Thank you.

If your cruise "departs" Katakolon at 1:00 you will likely miss your ship. Every cruise we have been on required us to be back on the ship 30 Minutes before it sails. You also have to factor in the time it will take you to walk back to the ship. Even if the ship has a shuttle to town, the shuttle will take its last people back to the ship in plenty of time to have them back on board before the 30 minute early deadline.

Im not sure if you have the wrong train times or I do. Just got these from the official site and it shows departures to Olympia at 08.25, 10.55, 12.52 & 14.51 and return journeys at 11.46, 13.48, 15.43. The 11.46 arrives back at 12.28 not the time you showed but this is still too tight for a 13.00 sailing.

We have all day there so may give the train a go.

• 8 months later...

Forget the reliabilty of the infrequent train service . It is a brave cruiser who would use the train to get to Olympia .

And once one gets to Olympia the station is a walk from the town centre, and the Olympic site is a further way (walk) out of the town centre.

1. The Cruise lines give preference to off-loading their Tour pax first before individual travellers are allowed off . Pax will normally be required to be back on board a minimum 30 minutes prior to sailing time. If an individual pax is late they sail without you, but if a ships tour is late back the ship waits . Caveat Emptor !!!

2. Safest bet is to take a Ships Tour or arrange a local taxi , which will take you right to the Olympic sights .

Edited by kuldalai

I just wanted to give some additional info on taking the train, as well as address some inaccuracies in the post above. The train is an easy way to get from Katakolon to Olympia and see the ruins. It is cheap, new, convenient, and was laid on by the Greek government specifically to get tourists from Katakolon to Olympia.

The only real drawback is that the train does not run frequently. Passengers from cruise ships that arrive fairly early in the morning can usually get on the train that leaves around 8:25 am. For those arriving after, there is another train around 11:00 am, but may not provide enough time, depending on when you have to return to the ship.

Contrary to what kuldalai states, the train station is about a half mile (at most) walk through town from where the ships dock, and when you get off the train at the Olympia station, it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the entrance. See this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1042785&highlight=katakolon+olympia

and this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=21960775&postcount=84

Also, for those worried about missing the train back or cancellations (which are very uncommon), it has been reported that there are a number of taxis available at the Olympia train station, so there is a back up if needed and no real fear of missing the ship....:rolleyes:

Finally, here are a series of helpful photos from another poster of the train station in Katakolon, the train, schedule, and the Olympia station:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=21160008&postcount=35

Keep in mind that the schedule of the train may vary slightly by season. The website I've used in the past to obtain schedule info no longer seems to be working and I haven't located a new one. But for several years now, departures from Katakolon have been around 8:30 (8:25 to 8:35) for the earlier train around around 11:00 (10:50 to 11:00) for the later one. Don't worry if the station looks closed. You can buy a ticket on the train.

Personally, I think the cruise lines schedule their time very tightly in Katakolon in order to try to "scare" passengers into taking their tours. A few cruises offer a bit more time there and make it easier to DIY. All the more reason why it's important to look not only at the ports on an itinerary but also the number of hours in port -- particularly in the Med.

Just a tip as to what happened to us. We arrived in Katakolon and had planned to take the train to Olympia, so bypassed all the taxi's at the pier and hadn't signed up for a tour.

We walked through town and there was a sign at the train station, that the train had broken down, and needed repair, and would not be running that day.

So we leisurely walked back to the ship and had lunch. We did not want to rent a car, and as I said, all the taxi's were gone from the pier. We enjoyed the little beach town, but missed seeing Olympia.

We never saw signs for that bus. I personally wouldnt risk it unless it was a scheduled, publicised service.

I posted on this thread last year with train times. In the end we didnt risk it. By the time the ship docked and was cleared we would have missed the first train and the second one didnt allow enough time.

We bought P&Os excursion which was £30 for a half day. This allowed us time to browse the shops in Katakolon beforehand.

Edited by kevinyork

The train was a great and cheap option with only the odd timetable making it a bit difficult.

It is all in the past now unfortunately, as of end of January the service is suspended until further notice.

More details here:

http://www.travelsingreece.com/trips/katakolon/#katakolon_olympia_train

and the announcement in Greek here:

http://www.trainose.gr/el/deltia/135-tropopoihseis-dromologiwn-jan2011

The train was a great and cheap option with only the odd timetable making it a bit difficult.

It is all in the past now unfortunately, as of end of January the service is suspended until further notice.

More details here:

http://www.travelsingreece.com/trips/katakolon/#katakolon_olympia_train

and the announcement in Greek here:

http://www.trainose.gr/el/deltia/135-tropopoihseis-dromologiwn-jan2011

That's a real shame. I wonder if it's a victim of all the cutbacks in Greece......... Or perhaps too many people were using it and depriving cabbies of their income? ;)

Definately a victim of the current financial crisis. With these last cuts the entire peleponnese are without any running train service! The cabbies seem to do well no matter what, although I guess they will be rubbing their hands together at this latest news.

I suppose they might decide to lay the train on again once high season kicks in, always worth checking closer to your arrival in case something has changed.

There is an AVIS office in Katakolon, located right opposite the port. The route is really straight forward. it is only 38 km and it takes around 25 mins to get from Katakolon to Olympia (2-turns route). there is free parking in Olympia, there is not any traffic or any toll stations, and generally there is nothing complicated or anything to delay you. for fuel you need just over 10 euros and thats all. i have done it a few times and i highly recomend it. both shore excursions and taxis are way too expensive. you can book the car in www.avis.gr

There is an AVIS office in Katakolon, located right opposite the port. The route is really straight forward. it is only 38 km and it takes around 25 mins to get from Katakolon to Olympia (2-turns route). there is free parking in Olympia, there is not any traffic or any toll stations, and generally there is nothing complicated or anything to delay you. for fuel you need just over 10 euros and thats all. i have done it a few times and i highly recomend it. both shore excursions and taxis are way too expensive. you can book the car in www.avis.gr
I agree. Rent a car. We paid 40 euros and 10 euros for gas. Cars are available at the end of the pier.

Rick

Quickly taking back all I said, I completely misread the announcement... and all trains are cancelled EXCEPT the Katakolon - Olympia Train (and a couple others).

So, the train is still good to go, officialt timetable at: http://tickets.trainose.gr/dromologia/

Long an short of it, 3.20 round trip per person (bargain).

Trains from Katakolon to Olympia

Ε384 leaves - 09:22 arrives 10:04

1388 - 12:40 13:33

1390 - 14:43 15:36

You can also get the 1382 Katakolon – Pirgos train at 08:18 which will drop you in Pirgos at 08:40 and give you an hour for a quick look about before catching the E384 at 09:42 for Pirgos to Olympia

Trains from Olympia to Katakolon

Ε387 - 11:25 12:08

1389 - 13.45 14:38

1391 - 15.41 16.34

• 4 years later...