Vancouver Skytrain to airport review

DaveOKC

We just tried the new Canada Place/YVR Skytrain from the pier yesterday and were quite impressed.

It is quite easy to find, exit Canada Place via the route the taxis and buses use, cross over the driveway to your left and follow the sidewalk for a short block to Cordova Street. Turn left and walk 1.5 short blocks to a red brick building. Once you enter it, turn to your left and follow the signs for Canada Place line. Go down the elevator (I assume you will luggage), walk a few feet and on your right you will see three ticket machines.

The machines are easy to use and they accept cash (CAN) and credit cards and I think debit cards. Purchase a 2 zone ticket for $3.75 ($2.50 weekends) and proceed onto the rail platform, a 2 minute walk at most. No one will ask for your ticket, it appears to be an honor system, but the fine if you get caught is steep I am told.

Take the Train for YVR airport (easy to read signs will guide you). About 15 stops and you are at the airport. Follow the signs to your airline (US to the right). Go down one level and cross over a 50 yard bridge and you are at the front door (where the taxis and buses drop folks off).

To time - 40 minutes from the exit of the Canada Place pier - will be less the next time we go as I was definately taking my time.

Bags - no problem on the train. Of course you have to be able to haul them on your own for about 3 short blocks.

Cost - for $7.50 for 2 of us was a great saving vs the taxi fare of $35 plus tip last time. I understand it is an extra $5 per person FROM the airport to the pier on the Skytrain.

Highly recommended

DaveOKC

Thanks for the review - as a local it is always nice to see a review on the system and that the money invested is starting to pay dividends for both locals and tourists.

It was a god send during the Olympics - moved the traffic back and forth between the venue without any major hassles - it was also finished more than three months early and on budget but I guess when you let private enterprise - it's a public private partnership - build something that is to be expected.

It is actually possible to get to the Canada line from Canada Place without going outside but it is a complex mix of lefts and rights and through food courts, hotel lobbies and ensuring you board the right train route that only us locals are likely to use it.

Once again thanks for the review and hope you enjoyed our fine city.

Cheers

Dennis

Dave, thanks for your review...it is important not to try to take the escalator down from the Canada Place ramp (Howe St.) as it will put you on the wrong level in Waterfront Station...it is necessary, as you said to walk over to Waterfront Station via Cordova. The Canada Line was a long time in coming but is now a great asset for the city.

Thanks for the post Dave. I like your reassurance that it can be done with luggage. We plan to go the opposite direction next Wednesday. Your post prompted me to do a search for another post where there were a bunch of pictures of the trip. Now I just have to look at them a little closer. The only part I'm not so sure of is the "couple of blocks" from the Waterfront Stn to Canada Place. Sounds like it is not that easy to do it inside, so hopefully it is not raining. Here are the photos:

YVR to Canada Place by Skytrain

These are great directions and hints. Given the frequent rainy Vancouver weather, it sure would be nice to be able to use the indoor route from the pier to the skytrain station (and easier on the luggage wheels). Dennis, do you know if the indoor route is marked, that is if we could find our way via indoors if we were looking for the signs?

We just tried the new Canada Place/YVR Skytrain from the pier yesterday and were quite impressed.

It is quite easy to find, exit Canada Place via the route the taxis and buses use, cross over the driveway to your left and follow the sidewalk for a short block to Cordova Street. Turn left and walk 1.5 short blocks to a red brick building. Once you enter it, turn to your left and follow the signs for Canada Place line. Go down the elevator (I assume you will luggage), walk a few feet and on your right you will see three ticket machines.

The machines are easy to use and they accept cash (CAN) and credit cards and I think debit cards. Purchase a 2 zone ticket for $3.75 ($2.50 weekends) and proceed onto the rail platform, a 2 minute walk at most. No one will ask for your ticket, it appears to be an honor system, but the fine if you get caught is steep I am told.

Take the Train for YVR airport (easy to read signs will guide you). About 15 stops and you are at the airport. Follow the signs to your airline (US to the right). Go down one level and cross over a 50 yard bridge and you are at the front door (where the taxis and buses drop folks off).

To time - 40 minutes from the exit of the Canada Place pier - will be less the next time we go as I was definately taking my time.

Bags - no problem on the train. Of course you have to be able to haul them on your own for about 3 short blocks.

Cost - for $7.50 for 2 of us was a great saving vs the taxi fare of $35 plus tip last time. I understand it is an extra $5 per person FROM the airport to the pier on the Skytrain.

Highly recommended

DaveOKC

Dave, you can avoid the steep $8.75 from the airport, and if you plan to use skytrain more than once; by visiting the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the airport and buying a book (called faresavers) of 10 two-zone tickets for $31.50. There's no surcharge on pre-purchased tickets at the airport... The same tickets can get you to grouse Mountain, Capilano suspension bridge and almost any attraction you can think of in Metro Vancouver.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/FareSaver-Tickets.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
Sky Train will cost you $3.75 plus $5 for the airport.

See post #10 for a way to avoid the $5 surcharge. But note that finding the stores that sell the faresaver tickets is not easy when arriving from the US. Both of these businesses are in the domestic terminal.

Archived